Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Wife is in love with Young America Crib$. HELP!!!!!

So my wife started looking at baby furniture and looked at the very expensive first. AAAAHHHHH!!!!Anyway, she has fallen in love with Young America Cribs. She wants a crib with the solid back and she loves all the decorative features. She also loves the baked on paint and real wood. Sounds like to me she is the exact person they were advertising for.

Does anyone know how I can back her up a little bit and help her see that we can find something just as nice that doesn't cost $1000, literally?

Where should I look? What do I do? I need so much help

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

LOL. Love this first post.

I own two cribs. A very $$$ Munire and a very reasonable Baby's Dream. I the Baby's Dream one. The quality is fabulous. It is solid and beautiful. I felt silly spending so much on the first one after finding this wonderful and affordable crib.

So I would suggest you check out Baby's Dream cribs. I got mine - a generation next one - for $299.

Many here also really love Ikea cribs. Those are even cheaper!

I would check out less expensive but solid cribs and tell her she can spend more on the stroller or some other fun purchase!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

I have a baby dream crib. stationary sides. it has a solid back. I can't remember what the name is but I got it at a local baby store. I don't recall exactly but I think it was 300-400$. you can check their website and find out who sells it in your area.

I have a Baby Cache stationary crib that cost about $300-$400 that I'm quite happy with (I believe it's made by Munire).

I will say this, however: I learned the hard way that you sometimes get what you pay for. I have the Baby Cache crib because my cheaper Jardine crib was recalled between kids. I had a whole different outlook on what I wanted in a crib (safety being #1) than the first time. Not that safety wasn't important the first time, just that I paid a lot more attention to how the crib was made (and where it was made) the second time.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

Ah, I spent a ton of (my parent's) money on a Pali first time around. It was so pretty. By the time we got to our youngest, dropside cribs were being recalled left and right and, even though ours hadn't been, I didn't feel safe using it. So now, dd sleeps in an Ikea crib and I feel pretty stupid for having wasted so much money on the Pali in the first place.

And I'd definitely spend more on a stroller any day!

Catherine

We have the IKEA Gulliver crib in white. It's now on sale! I'm glad we didn't splurge on a crib, because we co-sleep and DS plays in the crib while I wash my hands after diaper changes.

On the other hand, I spent 7x that amount on our stroller after we abandoned the stroller frame. Worth every penny!
    DS1 08.2010
    DS2 04.2012

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The crib is really an item you can go "budget" on.
    I also had a Munire crib for my first DC, that we did convert to a bed but for my second DC, I got the IKEA gulliver and splurged on other things.
    DD
    DS

ahrimie is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I ditto the comments to splurge on the stroller instead! I found a great deal on our Munire and love love it. But I told myself if our 2nd baby came closer, we would just buy an Ikea crib. You can paint and hack those to look really cool and for SO much cheaper. Then, you can buy a ridiculously expensive yet cool stroller like the Bugaboo Donkey! :P

DD1 5/08
    DD2 6/11

mariza is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by arivecchi View Post
    LOL. Love this first post.
    I would check out less expensive but solid cribs and tell her she can spend more on the stroller or some other fun purchase!
    I knew you would say this
    OP, I agree with PP's, money is better spent on a great stroller and carseat, but there are much better affordable options in the world of cribs and unlike strollers, it's harder to get much money back if you resell a crib when your done with it. BRU has several options for cribs with a solid back. Good luck!
    Monkey See (DD) 01/05
    Monkey Do (DS) 09/06

veronica is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

OK, I'll be the slight voice of dissent.

If you like the crib and can afford it, I'd get it. My parents have bought us nursery furnture each time. We got Morgeau Lepine, Bellini and our Bellini will be arriving tomorrow for the twins. The quality is amazing. the furniture will last until they move out. All of our cribs turned into toddler beds and then full-sized headboards, without additional costs of "conversion kits". That alone is worth an additional $$$ if you have to go out and buy those things later on anyway!

Oh, I'm not sure how close you are to SC , but give a call to Furnitureland South. their prices on Stanley young america are significantly cheaper (most cribs are $6xx). Delivery will depend on how close you live.
    DD 12/05
    DS 07/07
    Twin DS's 5.18.2011

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast