Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Canna is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

When I was expecting my 1st baby, I imagined having, well, a baby for a looooonnng time. In fact, the baby stage is so short! I guess some kids use their crib for about 3 years, or so, but that's still a blink of the eye in terms of furniture use. Even if you have multiple children, the amount of time they'll stay in the crib is really minimal compared to the life that you might see if you bought, say, a really nice dresser for the baby's room. In our case, we bought a new dresser that we love and that my 6 y.o. is still using...and will for the foreseeable future. We accepted a hand-me-down crib from good friends.

In our case, it actually turned out that DD#1 hated the crib - and as a family we enjoyed co-sleeping with our babies enough that we got rid of the crib completely before DD#2 was born and never used one at all for her (we had a mini pack and play, that's it). I was always incredibly thankful that we didn't waste money on a fancy crib.

Unless it's a convertible crib, I would push for the budget crib. $1000 is a lot of money to spend on a piece of furniture that will be obsolete in 3 years.

Thank you everyone for your feedback. All this is really helpful.

So in regards to these convertible 3-1 cribs. Are they really worth it? Do they really last? Do you really end up wanting that same peice of furniture until the kids are grown up and out of the house?

I had a thought while reading all this feedback that maybe we buy a budget crib and then down the road buy the back board for the toddler bed. Sounds like taking that route could even be cheaper and more worth the money in the long run.

Thoughts.

momm is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have the Graco Lauren non-drop side, convertible crib. I bought it in cherry for $150 and love it.

Good luck. I love your post

You can explain to her all the other good stuff she can buy for the 700$ she can save if she buys a 300$ crib
    Last edited by momm; 03-24-2011 at 07:53 AM. Reason: mistake in word due of lack of morning coffee

----------------------------------------------------------------

kristac is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Can you link the crib she is in love with? Then maybe we can help you find a cheaper alternative.

We have a babydream and we've been very pleased with it after 6+ years of everyday use.
    "Someday, I am going to go to bed without toys on the floor and sippys in my sink. Things will stay where I put them and I can have nice, fragile items on display. But when I do, I will look around with a wistfullness in my heart and miss the days where vibrant imaginations ran wild and there was evidence of life happening around me all the time!"

Here is a link:

http://www.furniturelandsouth.com/Pa...ib-DZ6423.aspx

She likes the decorative side of it and that fact that it doesn't have slats.

BeachBum is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I would suggest that you make a list of the baby gear and approximate prices of the things you will like and need. It always helps me to know that I can splurge on something that is important to me---and then I can choose where I want to save. But seeing that if she spends $1000 on the crib, and she wants that $400 crib bedding, and a uppa baby then cost can get out of control quickly.
    I'm not saying that you should make a firm budget first--but giving a high and low option for each of the "big things" will help clarify which things are important. Then you can refine the budget for what seems reasonable and what you can afford.

gamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

One other suggestion would be when shopping for a crib to bring a tape measure with you and measure the distance from the top of the mattress to the top of the side rail. I found quite a bit of difference between models. Although it's so easy to fall in love with a beautiful crib, it's main purpose is to keep your baby safe, which I became aware of when my DS fell out of his crib. Also, it depends on your living arrangements if a convertible crib will be cost effective. It seems most of the cribs convert to a full sized bed. It depends if you have space for that set up, or will you have children spaced closely together where you may want to buy bunk beds and have them set up as 2 twins and as they get older stack them to have more floor space for a play area? I also agree with the others and would allocate more money toward great strollers with one-handed steering and good car seats. Each situation is unique, congratulations and have fun baby shopping!

cheri is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Introduce her to the stroller forum....then tell her that you can splurge on a crib or a stroller.

Quote Originally Posted by BeachBum View Post
    I would suggest that you make a list of the baby gear and approximate prices of the things you will like and need. It always helps me to know that I can splurge on something that is important to me---and then I can choose where I want to save. But seeing that if she spends $1000 on the crib, and she wants that $400 crib bedding, and a uppa baby then cost can get out of control quickly.
    I'm not saying that you should make a firm budget first--but giving a high and low option for each of the "big things" will help clarify which things are important. Then you can refine the budget for what seems reasonable and what you can afford.

as a first time mom it is easy to get carried away...

a dose of reality with regards to all that will be needed to care for baby BEYOND the nursery and the cost of all that stuff has a way of bringing dreamy moms back down to Earth...

with that being said...I too bought a Young America crib and paid approx. $550 - it is a very sturdy piece of furniture so I'd recommend the brand if you can find it cheaper

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast