Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Where to nurse?

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mjs64 View Post
    The dressing room is a great idea. Don't know if I'm ready for a bench or cafe yet, but maybe I will be soon. For the grocery store, I guess then it's the car.

Am I, by the way, crazy to take a 6 week old to Target?
    For me, I would have worn a baby at that age close to me and taken them. I wouldn't use a cart (without disinfecting the handles). I just found that having a sweet newborn in a car seat or stroller seemed to attract well-meaning attention (and germs) more than wearing them close to you. People seemed to respect that as my own body space.
    Boy - 10 years, Girl - 6 Years Old!, (What am I still doing here?! LOL) Dog - Eternal Puppy , Me - Done .

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If in the mall I would usually find a dressing room. Motherhood stores advertise their dressing rooms for nursing moms and I've heard (but no BTDT experience) that PBK has a back room for changing and nursing (not sure if that's all locales or just mine). I nursed a lot in the car. I didn't mind it. I was comfy in the back seat and it was private. So for grocery stores, and places like Target, I'd nurse in the car before heading into the store.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

@ that age I generally used the sling and just nursed the girls when they were hungry. DS#2 I didn't get the sling that early but then again I was completely broke and the only time I took him out was to go to my college orientation and I had a blanket and was in a comfortable chair at that point in time.

Jen
    Mom to 4 wonderful children

DS#1 7/96
    DS#2 11/00
    DD#1 11/03
    DD#2 6/08

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have to get out of the house with my 6 week old nursling, who I'm feeding on demand. He can usually go 2-3 hours between feedings, but there's no guarantee. What do you do when you need to nurse in public? If we head out, as is my dream, today to Target, where do I go if I have to feed him? The car? The bathroom? I need to be able to sit.
    I used dressing rooms. (including one in a Target at Northgate Mall -- and I didn't even have any clothes, just asked the attendant if I could use the big one because I needed to take my stroller in and feed my baby)
    Last edited by vonfirmath; 03-25-2011 at 02:10 PM.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Nope. Getting out of the house outweighs any concerns about germs. If you're worried that people will try to touch your LO, and you have a carrier (sling, Bjorn, wrap, whatever), wear the baby. I found that people were a lot less inclined to touch my DD if she was strapped/tied to my chest!

Besides, I heard from friends that it's really nice weather in So CA today. Enjoy it.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I agree with the other posters. The dressing rooms at Target are great and you don't even have to pretend to try on clothing. Just say you want to feed your baby and they'll wave you on back. Other stores are often the same way especially during the week when there aren't lines for the dressing rooms.

I nursed everywhere when out and about. The Target cafe type area was great, lawn furniture displays, out of the way park benches, using a sling or the Ergo, etc. The car also worked in a pinch.

I was always pleasantly surprised by the number of positive comments I received when people realized I was nursing a baby. They'd sometimes start to talk and then realize I was otherwise occupied. Little old ladies would reminisce about when they were our age they didn't feel comfortable nursing out in public and ended up at home all day with their babies. They would talk about how wonderful it is that people can go out and do things now!

Nursing cami bras were extremely useful for me because I hated the feeling of an exposed back and belly. With the tank I was barely revealing any skin and didn't even need a nursing cover most of the time. I also practiced nursing at home in front of a mirror once to reassure myself that I wasn't exposing more than I expected.

Good luck! You're doing an amazing thing for your baby and nursing in public will get soooo much easier with time.

3blackcats is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Nope, my 2 week old was there yesterday. I wore her in a carrier so no one would touch her.

Just wanted to add that if you ever have to go to BRU, they have a special baby room for nursing, etc.

Pear is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

At Target I would probably go to the internal Starbucks and get myself a treat. The chairs are comfy. If no Starbucks then just take a seat in the food area. Probably get the best positioning sitting on one of the benches.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I agree with the other posters. The dressing rooms at Target are great and you don't even have to pretend to try on clothing. Just say you want to feed your baby and they'll wave you on back. Other stores are often the same way especially during the week when there aren't lines for the dressing rooms.
    So true, in 21 months of nursing (egad), I have never had a dressing room attendent even raise an eyebrow at my request to use a room to nurse.

The only place I've really NIP was Borders, on a bench, with a big stroller in front of me. I sat in a very unpopular section (new age) and on a busy day only 1-2 people even walked by. I felt a twinge or two of anxiety but it was really no big deal. I don't think anyone noticed, or if they did, they were discreet and left me alone without making me feel weird or shunned.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast