boltfam is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Good food to take on trip for 12 mo. old

We are going to be driving in the car for 44 hours round-trip. DD is 12 mo. old and likes to feed herself. Any suggestions of healthy food to feed her? Looking for snack and meal ideas that are easy to take along?

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

goldfish, happy baby puffs , yogurt melts w. we usually put them in those Munchkin containers with the top that the baby can just reach into

sorry cant' think of more. my ds loves to feed himself too, but most of the stuff he likes to eat is pretty messy and not travel friendly (e.g. spaghetti, strawberries, peas etc). when we travel we usually just let ds have food off our plates (not the healthiest option i know, but the easiest)

Freeze dried fruits & veggies, Baby mum mums, other crackers, cheese cubes or babybell cheeses, i'll keep thinking that's all that comes to mind tight now.

Cheerios, goldfish, individual serving packages of applesauce, raw baby carrots, graham crackers, unpeeled bananas, nutrigrain-type cereal bars. DS was/is a big oatmeal fan, so we also brought along packs of instant oatmeal and kid-sized disposable bowls and spoons (most restaurants and places we stopped had access to hot water to mix into it).
    Mom to J 6/25/08 and M 6/21/11

Pinky is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Does DD let you spoon feed her? If so, bananas are a somewhat neat option. We just peel and pick off pieces with a spoon and give them to her that way and it doesn't make a mess... Yogurt too.

Also, cheerios and kix... baby mum mums.
    DD Spring 2010

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

squeezable apple sauce (trader joes has them)

yogurt tubes ( you could freeze these and take them in a cooler)

string cheese or baby bell cheese or any kind of cheese really

turkey lunch meat cut up in small pieces/ roasted chicken cut in small pieces

cheerios

goldfish or annie bunny crackers

graham crackers, gerber puff snacks

cut up cantaloup or watermelon, berries, banana

steamed vegetables (served cold)

pasta with butter (penne or spirals cut up smaller)

wheat bread and cream cheese (my DS1 used to love this when he was around a year... used to just break off small bites and pass them to him)

boltfam is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
    Does DD let you spoon feed her? If so, bananas are a somewhat neat option.
    Sometimes. She much prefers to feed herself. Bananas would be pretty easy to take along, though.

Thank you all for your suggestions! So far, I have cheerios, happy baby puffs, and freeze dried fruit. Unfortunately, DD doesn't tolerate dairy so a lot of the other great suggestions are out for her, but DS would probably like them.

I forgot about lunch meat for DD. I did that a lot with DS, and since we're planning on having a picnic lunch, that will be great. I think we'll pack some cantaloupe, too.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I was kind of in a rut, so that gives more ideas for at home, too!

karstmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

flour tortillas. dried cranberries? teddy grahams. have fun!
    mama to j karst, former 25 weeker, 12/06