Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JTsMom View Post
    I nursed DS1 through several echocardiograms (u/s of the heart). He has sensory issues, and those tests were like torture for him, and he'd scream and cry his poor little head off unless I did, which would make it impossible to get a good reading. The techs just worked around me.

for my DD recently, but we *still* couldn't get a good reading. Grrr. (She doesn't have sensory issues, though. She's just squirmy.)

But, frankly, I don't consider that to be all that "exotic" or "strange." I consider that downright necessary

My shining moments include:

* the courtyard of my college during alumni reunion/freshman orientation weekend (swarming with old men and 18-year-old kids on cell phones)
    * the middle of a buffet restaurant where my dad's engagement party was being held
    * the main dining room of a busy NJ diner
    * DURING a choral performance in a church (while seated behind a performing soloist and surrounded by high school kids)
    * on a NJ Transit train (several times)
    * in the front row of a crew training meeting for a breast cancer charity walk
    * during a baby shower
    * during rehearsal while holding music
    * before a memorial service that I was singing at
    * the car (backseat, front seat, whatever)
    * the "ladies lounge" at Nordie's

... so, in short, pretty much anywhere. I have not yet had the opportunity to nurse at historic landmarks or amusement parks or whatever but DD does come pretty much everywhere with me, so when she needs to nurse, that's what we do.

Now, ask me the most unusual place I've pumped, and I've got a good one - the front seat of a passenger van driving the streets of NYC.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

kboyle is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

for oddest situation i was nursing ds1 who was 2 wks old on the couch sitting next to my FIL who was watching the video of the baby's birth...on FILs bday...in the middle of a 4th of July party...

nothing funnier and more uncomfortable than FIL trying to look away from the birthing video to look over and notice his DIL was nursing. i'd never seen him run away from the room so fast, lol.

after ds1 i had no problem NIP, so if you can think of a odd location I've probably nursed there too.
    Kristine, Supermommy to
    Charlie (6/2003), Max (8/2005) & Ernie (5/2007)

I have a good picture of this that I am looking for, but in the meantime, here is DS having a snack at Yosemite, too bad I look so grumpy!
    Last edited by GaPeach_in_Ca; 03-28-2011 at 01:25 PM.
    Sweetie Pies, DS 9/2004 & DS 4/2008

Quote Originally Posted by LMPC View Post
    I never used a cover, so it was pretty apparent as to what we were up to.
    I never used a cover either. However, hardly anyone realized what I was doing until they look real hard. My SILs always used a cover and I always felt it was so much more obvious that they were nursing. I can't tell you how many times I was nursing and one of my now ex-relatives would come over to say hi and as they were leaning in to kiss me hello suddenly jumped back when they realized what I was doing.

lovebebes is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

[QUOTE=GaPeach_in_Ca;3089205]I have a good picture of this that I am looking for, but in the meantime, here is DS having a snack at Yosemite, too bad I look so grumpy!

lol the classic- The Grumpy Nursing Mother.
    DD S 2002
    DD L born sleeping 04.2006
    DD L 2007
    Finally our littlest rainbow is here!
    DD C 2010

salsah is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

i don't think anywhere is odd. maybe while going to the bathroom.

I've never had a problem NIP so I don't really restrict myself at all... I also don't use a cover-up because DS always pulled anything over his head off, just used my shirt to cover as much of the boob as possible:

-While walking house to house during a community-wide rummage sale, with my dad.
    -Christmas shopping in Kohls...I think I was even went through the check out.
    -Church-many times
    -My brother's wedding (those bridesmaid dresses are really not conducive to nursing)
    -During 2 separate (at different theatres) live plays. Most people didn't notice until DS took to slurping really loudly!

Now, my craziest pumping experience was on a work trip. There were 5 of us in a van and the driver was not particularly sensitive to my needs to pump. Our trip took longer than expected because we had to make an unscheduled stop. I just pulled the pump out, threw my sweatshirt over me like I was cold and pumped. No one knew, and I know that because one of the other passengers asked if I was doing ok or needed him to speak up so we could make a stop for me to pump. I told him, "nope, I already did" and he looked at me totally dumbfounded!
    Last edited by BabbyO; 03-31-2011 at 12:56 PM.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

At a conference I was co-running for some of my college students. DD1 was ~6mo. We had just finished up a busy registration period and I snuck off over to the side to a somewhat secluded area of an academic building. Well, not secluded enough because one of my male former students turned colleague coplanner came on over the chat and got a bit of an eye full.

In the ER when DD2 was 3wk old and I had contracted a horrid stomach virus and needed fluids. It was just past peak H1N1 time and everyone kept telling DH and I that DD2 shouldn't be here and I kept asking them how they propose that I send my boobs along with her. I was in a crowded ER and people kept coming in and out of my curtained cubicle and since she was a newborn she was pretty much constantly attached. DH was very worried about my privacy but I was so freakin sick I could've cared less who saw my boobs.

Park bench Downtown Disney.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

so many.. but my favorite was in an art museum, on a bench in front of a Madonna and Child painting.

Just wanted to say that I keep hearing many people say they don't understand people using nursing covers, because it makes it more obvious that a mom is nursing, and doesn't fool anyone.

Most moms I know don't use a cover to try to hide the fact that they are nursing--that's not why I used one--it was for modesty in those learning curve times when you are still having trouble not flashing your entire breast to the world. Many people are scared to nurse in public for fear of people seeing too much skin. If a cover helps them feel more relaxed and comfortable with NIP, then lets support them in that and not make them feel embarrassed about it, or like they stick out like a sore thumb or something. That's the last thing they need.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast