Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Waterproof Carrier

Has anyone ever used a waterproof carrier at the pool or beach? DS2 is due in July (hopefully not August!) and I need to be able to take DS1 to the pool well into September.

Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

What a cool question.

I haven't. But I did see some slings and wraps made of soft, stretchy mesh fabric. Sorry but I can't remember who made them, but I know it was a major brand. Maybe baby k'tan?

Often bumbling mother to baby girl "Sprog"
    Born November, 2009

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have a Gyspy Mama (Wrapsody) water wrap and LOVE it. Highly highly recommend it.

http://www.attachedtobaby.com/Wrapso...Wrap-P219.aspx

It's made of a material like swim suits, so it dries really quickly, it is stretchy and very easy to wear. I have one, and my BFF also got one this past summer. My daughter was born in Feb, her in March and the babies were still too small to do anything but wear them while we chased our older kids around the pool. I loved that I could wear her facing me, but as she got older and started to splash, I began to wear her facing out so she could splash in the water. I liked it more than a sling type because I could be 100% hands free with this wrap and catch my daughter if she wanted to jump into the pool, or catch her as she came down a water slide, etc. I felt like with a sling - I would need to have a hand on the baby. I just never felt comfortable with them being hands-free.

I'm wearing a black shirt in this pic so it's a little hard to see. But I loved it because I could tuck her completely into the sling, and put a hat on her head and not have to put sunblock on her skin. I also liked that she sat up higher in this wrap vs a sling, so I could get in a little bit deeper water.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lhafer; 03-27-2011 at 12:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
    I have a Gyspy Mama (Wrapsody) water wrap and LOVE it. Highly highly recommend it.

I'm wearing a black shirt in this pic so it's a little hard to see. But I loved it because I could tuck her completely into the sling, and put a hat on her head and not have to put sunblock on her skin. I also liked that she sat up higher in this wrap vs a sling, so I could get in a little bit deeper water.
    aww. Textbook babywearing position, too! I like how she seems to be taking a nibble on the fabric.

Hey, lhafer - was it ok that the fabric was black? This is totally off-topic but I've wondered if the black wrap/slings/carriers get too toasty in summer sun. I almost bought a consignment baby k'tan when Sprog was tiny but decided not to b/cause of the color. Then regretted passing it up.
    Last edited by Uno-Mom; 03-27-2011 at 01:19 AM.

Born November, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Uno-Mom View Post
    aww. Textbook babywearing position, too! I like how she seems to be taking a nibble on the fabric.

Hey, lhafer - was it ok that the fabric was black? This is totally off-topic but I've wondered if the black wrap/slings/carriers get too toasty in summer sun. I almost bought a consignment baby k'tan when Sprog was tiny but decided not to b/cause of the color. Then regretted passing it up.
    No it is very cool. I live in Houston, and the summer sun here is HOT. 95-100 degrees with 80-90% humidity. It's gross. But I never got hot in this, and neither did she. It was quite breathable.

I also have a Bali Breeze that's gauze fabric that is very very breathable. I have the Alice pattern and love it. http://www.wrapsodybaby.com/

This is the Bali Breeze - I was trying the facing out option. I preferred the facing in method. Very easy wrap to learn. If I did it again, I think I would go with the Bali Stretch one though.
    019.jpg

This is my Ergo that I use ALL the time. She's about 4 months old in the picture. I had the heart to heart insert but just didn't like the bulkiness of it.
    002 (2).jpg

This is the first sling pouch I had - a Balboa Sling Pouch. Loved this for the first few months. She's about a week old in this picture. But as she got bigger it began to hurt my back (I have a bad back). That's when I got the Wrapsody wraps.
    Tessa a few minutes old 044.jpg

I think Solarveil (mesh SPF fabric) has been used a lot for water slings/pouches but I don't know if they are still being made. (Something in my brain remembers reading about the fabric being discontinued or something a couple years ago? Could be totally wrong though!) I hope you find the perfect carrier!
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

Quote Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
    No it is very cool. I live in Houston, and the summer sun here is HOT. 95-100 degrees with 80-90% humidity. It's gross. But I never got hot in this, and neither did she. It was quite breathable.

I also have a Bali Breeze that's gauze fabric that is very very breathable. I have the Alice pattern and love it. http://www.wrapsodybaby.com/

This is the Bali Breeze - I was trying the facing out option. I preferred the facing in method. Very easy wrap to learn. If I did it again, I think I would go with the Bali Stretch one though.

This is my Ergo that I use ALL the time. She's about 4 months old in the picture. I had the heart to heart insert but just didn't like the bulkiness of it.

This is the first sling pouch I had - a Balboa Sling Pouch. Loved this for the first few months. She's about a week old in this picture. But as she got bigger it began to hurt my back (I have a bad back). That's when I got the Wrapsody wraps.
    Your DD is adorable!!!!
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

ABO Mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Yeah, solarveil has been discontinued, but ring slings and ssc do occasionally pop up on FSOT on thebabywearer. Solarweave is available, and I think Connecta makes a buckle carrier using it (solarweave is like boys swim shorts). I love my solarveil ssc, but I do think a rs is better for in and out of the water. I also have a solarveil monkey pocket, which is excellent for covering up the baby.

I forgot to mention that the Gyspy Mama wrap is UV protected.

Per the website: •Manufacturer guarantees a UPF (UV Protection Factor) of 45 to help prevent sunburn/minimize sunscreen use -- fabric blocks 97.5% - 98% of the sun's rays (compare to Solarveil which blocks 70%).

I love all the baby wearing pic!

I kind of wish we could start a thread where we all posted our pics - to inspire newbie parents to try baby-wearing! I remember getting all psyched up after looking through the Babywearingsafety FB page's photo albums.

It's also nice to show off some of the less common techniques. Seems like in some areas of the country, all people have seen is what's available at BRU. I'm lucky to live in a hippie baby-wearing area.

Born November, 2009

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast