Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    I always pumped into a bottle to get the most accurate measurement and then stored it in 2-3 ounces increments in bags. I froze them flat and then used the storage boxes in the freezer to get the most efficient storage space.
    Mom to Mr. Sunshine 9/08
    and Miss Happiness 3/11

babyonway is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
    [url]I was also mostly pumping just to have a stash for later on... I BF'd until around 6 months and then fed her the frozen stash after I went back to work. You'd be amazed at how fast they can go through what looks like a ton of milk.

I started pumping immediately after DD was born because she didn't latch well so I got a good stash too. I am back at work and still pumping and am still pumping more than she takes from the bottles. Right now (I am estimating) that I have about 2 months of extra so when I am done pumping I can give her the frozen for another 2 months.

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine873 View Post
    Also, another note about why it could be good to have this milk stored. If you ever get sick or need to take some medication that isn't compatible with breast feeding, you'll be REALLY glad you have all of the milk stored. Congrats on the great supply!
    The above is a great thing to note. I was so thankful that I started pumping immediately and building up a stash. 10 weeks after DD was born I had a complication which required surgery. I had a bunch of tests before and after the surgery including 4 MRIs and had to pump and dump for 48 hours after the surgery and each MRI. I luckily had enough milk to accomodate DD but it came close and that was an added stress that I didn't have to deal with when I was going through all those tests.
    Mama to my sweet lil girl (Summer 2010)

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

No suggestions, just sympathy. I had to throw out hundreds of ounces of frozen milk. I was pumping approx 144 oz/day for 3 or 4 months (especially while DD was in the hospital) but we had to eventually switch to 100% formula for DD. Donating wasn't an option for my, unfortunately. I hope you are able to use or donate yours!

If you are freezing, I agree witht he suggestiuons of freezing them flat for future storage. It took me a while to figure this one out, but it saves a lot of freezer space!
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Just as an FYI, I eventually ended up with a surplus of frozen milk. For various reasons, I could not officially donate my milk, but I was able to donate privately. So if you get in that position, there are ways.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2