View Poll Results: What do you do with kids' underwear after it's outgrown but in good condition?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Toss it

47 45.63%
  • Donate it

47 45.63%
  • Other

9 8.74%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

DS1 hands down to DS2 and then we give them away. They are HA unders.
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

For some reason, this just seems to be coming up now in my life, where DD2 has outgrown girl underwear and I don't know what to do with it. It's sitting in a stack in the laundry room, waiting for me to do something with it. I will probably throw it out because I don't think anyone would want used underwear, me included. Oddly enough, I have no problem with used cloth diapers. I guess it's about the relative costs.. 5 pairs of girls undies are less than $10 new at the store, but 5 cloth diapers would be over $50 new.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

I would donate them to a school. We frequently have potty accidents and need changes for kids (and only half of the clothes I loan out make it back to me so we're always needing more donation.) I've only had one parent ever complain that we put their child in used undies (although we tried to reach the parent to bring a change and couldn't reach them. And they were not stained and were, obviously as always, washed) Most parents are just happy they don't have to leave work to bring in a change (I try to always call the parents and give them the option to bring their own change of clothes)

I would donate/sell high quality brand name underwear like Hannas. The cheap stuff (Hanes, Target generic underwear, etc.) I would toss.

OT--if anyone is selling Hanna unders for girls I'm TOTALLY open to buying them if they are in good condition!

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Donate!! It seems really wasteful to throw it away. Maybe you wouldn't buy used undies but there are lots of people out there that could use that option.

Beth

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I was just thinking about this as DS2 has potty trained and wearing some of DS1's old gymbo undies. Some are too small for him though but are in good condition still.
    K

soon2b4 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

It all depends on the condition. Would I be embarrassed to include it in a box of hand-me-downs for a friend to decide on? Did I just buy her a package of 6 or 7 and then she had a growth spurt a week or two later?
    Happily married to DH 01/96
    Mom to:
    DD1 01/04
    DD2 09/11

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Well, I have some HMD underwear from my sister's kids. It's in great condition, made of 100% Egyptian cotton, and some of them are training pants too, there's a plastic liner between layers! Very cool. No way am I turning them down.

funny thing is, I wouldn't normally think of passing them on to someone outside my family though. Like, someone else might be grossed out. Dunno why. I mean, if cloth diapers are okay to pass on, why not underwear, unless it's super cheap and not worth it. Dora has a bunch of Circo underwear and that's not getting passed on after my kids are done with them.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I've bought used HAs off the swap. I wash in hot with bleach the first time, then like normal. I donate our old undies in good condition. I think I held onto the HA trainers and Gerber trainers for Dolly, but the Dora and princess panties are long, long gone.
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Donate!! It seems really wasteful to throw it away. Maybe you wouldn't buy used undies but there are lots of people out there that could use that option.

Beth

I totally agree with this! It could really mean something to someone to have the option of buying some nice used unders.
    Mom to DS1 10.06, DS2 05.09, DD 05.11 and DS 05.11

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast