View Poll Results: What do you do with kids' underwear after it's outgrown but in good condition?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Toss it

47 45.63%
  • Donate it

47 45.63%
  • Other

9 8.74%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Toss. I don't care what brand they are. Used underwear is still used underwear.

I'm not grossed out by passing on underwear--my brothers got all of theirs as hand-me-downs from our cousins throughout their whole childhood. I've gotten some hand-me-down training pants for DD and would happily accept more.

Re: the original question, though, if I didn't have anyone to give it to, I'd do what I do with DH's or my underwear when it gets worn out--use it for cleaning rags.
    Sharing advice/encouragement for homeschoolers at Homeschooling for Normal People

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I've offered it for free to CL buyers (of other children's items), and they happily take it. I only keep the clean looking, good condition ones. I think Uwear is cheap enough that I can buy DD girl underware (although she can use DS's training pants). I also saw a mom on freecycle ask for used Uware for her autistic son, as PTing was a major ordeal, and it was just easier for her to throw out the poopy ones.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

alien_host is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I was just thinking abou this the other day b/c DD has yet to really outgrow her underwear. She has a few size 2/3 gap pairs that are a little snug but she still wears them (she is 5 but very skinny).

I read somewhere that you can take your old underwear on vacation and wear one more time and toss. But that may mean taking tattered, stretched out underwear on vacation . I suppose this doesn't work great for kids since they generally outgrown and don't wear out underwear.

And I suppose the hotel maid might think you are a little strange if she sees your underpants in the trash everyday.

Cam&Clay is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by artvandalay View Post
    Toss. I don't care what brand they are. Used underwear is still used underwear.

That's where I stand. I don't mind handing down the trainer pants from DS1 to DS2 but I didn't even save DS1's regular underwear for DS2.
    DS1 age 21 years
    DS2 age 11 years

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I've never really found anyone to buy them, even our great Hannas, but I have listed them for free (plus shipping) on clothing boards and had takers. I think that is better than the trash.

I would take used if it was from someone close or family, or if I had children to hand them down to. I don't think I, personally, would buy them from a stranger though I can't come up with a good logical reason why.
    Boy - 10 years, Girl - 6 Years Old!, (What am I still doing here?! LOL) Dog - Eternal Puppy , Me - Done .

SpaceGal is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Personally, I haven't gotten to the point of getting rid of the undies yet. But when I do I will donate. Once someone posted somewhere here that they sold them at a garage sale for like 25 cents or so and people bought them up...potty training etc. Granted I don't have Hannas or anything, just Hanes, Gap, Gymboree at best but I'd donate.

I think I would donate only because there are a lot of people out there that aren't as fortunate as we are. One of DH's clients are very poor and are always asking for handmedowns since our kids are a year older than theirs. I finally got stuff together for them, and the box included used bottles and pacifiers (stuff that would have just been throw out since many places won't take them) but they were SOOOO THANKFUL for the bottles and pacifiers. So now going forward I would donate since there are people out there that would just be happy to have those things even if it's been used.
    Last edited by SpaceGal; 03-28-2011 at 08:23 PM.

I hand them down to DC's cousins.
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

MamaSnoo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would donate/sell/pass on. And I will definitely pass down unders from DD to DC2 if we have one. Luckily we have some gender neutral trainers that could even be used for a boy.

I really am confused why ppl are so skeeved out by this. It seems like many here would pass along a dipe or trainer, but not a pair of unders. Seems to me that the unders are probably way cleaner than dipes/trainers that were used pre-PT or when only partially PT'd. So, it actually makes more sense to me to pass on unders............JMHO.
    Bug-a-wug 3/2008

Baby-Boy 5/2012.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast