Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    baileygirl is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DS1 moved to a twin bed (with rail) at 25 months. We didn't have any problems at night, but he did stop napping for us at that time. DS2 is 25 months and I hope on keeping him in his crib until he is 3.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Keep the crib as LONG as possible
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think it depends on the temperament of your DC...and only you can really answer that question. We moved DD at 26 months because she asked Santa for a "big girl bed" and was really set on the transition. She got out of the bed twice about 3 weeks into it. We asked her if she wanted to go back in her crib...she has never gotten out since. Her desire to be a big girl is stronger than her desire to get out of the bed (thank goodness!!). She also sleeps much better now...doesn't hit the side of the crib when she sleeps and she takes wicked long naps. But that's DD...it's different for everyone! How do you think your DC will react to being in a big boy bed?
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Keep him in his crib as long as you can and get your new LO a crib! DS did not climb out of his crib until a few weeks past 24mo. He had JUST started sleeping through the night and taking great naps. We moved him into a toddler bed and it's been a disaster! He doesn't really try to get out of it ( after the first few nights) , but he doesn't sleep well again ( he's 2.5 now) . He's puts himself to sleep just fine but he's always waking up and his nap has all but disappeared unless I rock him to sleep and then he takes a great nap. He's always cranky because he's short on sleep. I really wish I would have gotten a crib tent and kept him in his crib for much longer!!

JMS is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

As with everything else, consider the temperament of the child and what's best for the family DD and DS1 were both in cribs until almost 3 1/2 and neither one ever comes into our bed at night. They loved their cribs and I think waiting until I they were really ready to move to a bed made the transition very easy.
    JMS
    Mommy to DD "HH" 2004
    and DS1 "MH" 2005
    & DS2 "JJH" - My very Irish baby!

mmommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DH would like 2 yo DD to transition to a "big girl bed" so we took the side off her crib (I decided this wasn't a battle I wanted to pick).
    She asked us to put it back on again. She's always been a good sleeper, and I think she likes the comfort of being in the crib, and I'm very happy with that too.
    From the responses its clear that this totally depends on the child.

jenfromnj is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Another vote for keeping the crib!

We transitioned DS to a bed 2 months ago at around 22 months, after he suddenly hated his crib and would climb out within 10 seconds of being put in, and would continue to do so over and over. He wasn't really "ready" for the change, and we've had a bit of a struggle getting him to fall asleep easily and stay in bed all night. If he had been happy and content in his crib, I'd definitely have left him in there for at least a few more months.

i refuse to transition them. i'm protective of their naps. i won't do anything that puts my 2-3hr break at risk

Dr C is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Another vote to keep him in his crib. Do you really want a toddler on the loose at night when you're a sleep deprived new mama (again)?
    My sweet boy 8/06
    My beautiful girl 10/09

BayGirl2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by CharlotteMommy View Post
    22 mo DS will be a big brother this September. He will be 27 mo when the baby is born. He is very content in his crib, and I had thought that we would buy the baby a crib, and keep DS in his own crib until he was about 2.5 – 3 yo. Recently, however, I have heard from several friends about very successful crib to bed transitions of LO’s starting as young as 15 mo, and of course, this got me rethinking my original plan. DS’ current crib transitions to a toddler bed and also to a full size bed.
    I actually had to think for a minute to remember if I wrote this post! Our kids are the exact same age and I have been thinking the same thing. When the new baby arrives I'd like to put her/him in the crib at around 3 months and have DS in a twin bed in the same room. DS is a really good sleeper, goes instantly to sleep when I put him down and hasn't tried to climb out yet. And I actually like the idea of him getting up in the morning and being able to get to his books and toys instead of crying for us.

So we were thinking we'd take the side off the crib to test it out in toddler bed mode (although we can no longer buy the toddler rail) so yesterday DH took it off in the morning. So here's how nap time went: We were a little delayed (not unusual) and DS was tired from being out late the night before. He fell asleep in the car so I carried him up and changed his diaper. He saw the crib, remembered the side was gone, and instantly perked up. I left him in there and watched on the monitor as he climbed out and walked around. He kept trying to open the door but stands in front of it so he blocks himself. I finally opened it and found him standing there diaperless in just his shirt (I left his jeans off), which is a new trick. I tried reading a long book, leaving him alone, talking to him, but he just got more energetic. He totally skipped his nap and was a mess by evening.

I'm still not sure if yesterday was a fluke because 1. he was excited about and unfamiliar situation and 2. he was already unusually overtired. We've decided he's not quite ready and the side went back up, but I would like to try again in a few weeks or months. I just don't see us buying another crib and getting him in and out of the crib is going to get harder for me while I'm pregnant. He's usually very well behaved (and there was no punishing or warnings yesterday btw) so I tend to think he can handle it.

Anyway, sorry long post, but since we're in the same situation thought I would share. I'm interested to hear what you decide and how it goes. Good luck.
    Amy

DS - June 2009
    DD - September 2011

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast