Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    ha98ed14 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default "House GOP Wants To Use Tax Code To Curb Abortions"

"If women pay for an abortion using tax-free income that had been set aside in a heath savings account, the money would have to be reported as taxable income. There would be exceptions for cases of rape or incest, or if a physician certifies that a woman's life would be in danger if she doesn't terminate her pregnancy."

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=135001028

Do you think that the few women R will vote for this if it ever makes it to the floor?

We used to say, "Keep your laws off my body!" I guess we will have to add, "and out of my HSA!"

If you have R Congressional Reps, PLEASE write to them!
    You can find them here:
    http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Sigh. As if it isn't already hard enough to find someone willing to perform an abortion, this is adding to the list of even more restrictions. I've read that fewer and fewer doctors are willing to perform them because of the fear of violent protesters. Plus, I believe I also read somewhere that some women have to drive 100+ miles or across state lines.

I'm not even sure what % of women of child-bearing age have HSAs, so I bet the symbolism of this move is probably what the GOP is aiming to achieve.

AshleyAnn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

They will do anything to try to prevent abortions, besides educating potentially sexually active teens and ensuring access to birth control.

I hope they realize this isn't going to change abortions. I've met women having abortions. I've heard thier stories - how they got pregnant, how they made the decision, where they got the money, and how they are feeling going thru it or in some cases NOT going thru with it.

Quote Originally Posted by smiles33 View Post
    Plus, I believe I also read somewhere that some women have to drive 100+ miles or across state lines.
    I did. There is a clinic much closer to me but its known for not being staffed by the best doctors and I know of two women who got infections after thier procedure there. A number of the other ladies at my clinic were from further away than I was. There were protestors at the clinic, both prolife and prochoice, it was scary.

The doctor who did the procedure was shocked I was able to research his career and look him up like a regular doctor. Its supposed to be very private but using an antichoice website I was able to get his name and info. From there it was just google. He was visibly shaken and I can't say I blame him.

MissyAg94 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I like the proposal. I'll write my congressman and tell him. Thanks for posting!

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MissyAg94 View Post
    I like the proposal. I'll write my congressman and tell him. Thanks for posting!
    I'm thrilled about this.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MissyAg94 View Post
    Same here! I HOPE mine does. Any life is worth living and if a woman makes a choice to end the life growing with in her it shouldnt be done for tax deference ( corrected sorry Beth)
    Last edited by JBaxter; 03-31-2011 at 12:43 PM.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

It isn't free. It's your own money, just tax deferred.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It's just a bunch of grandstanding to appease the anti-choicers. I mean honestly, what woman thinks to herself in December, "gee, it's time to decide how much money to put in my health savings account for next year. Let's assume I'm going to have an unwanted pregnancy that I'll need to terminate. Now how much should I put into that account?" Or I can just see it now, "Gee it's the end of the year and I still have $300 in my account. Well, since I can't use it for tylenol anymore, why don't I just get pregnant and have an abortion!" The whole thing is absurd.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by smiles33 View Post
    Sigh. As if it isn't already hard enough to find someone willing to perform an abortion, this is adding to the list of even more restrictions. I've read that fewer and fewer doctors are willing to perform them because of the fear of violent protesters. Plus, I believe I also read somewhere that some women have to drive 100+ miles or across state lines.

I'm not even sure what % of women of child-bearing age have HSAs, so I bet the symbolism of this move is probably what the GOP is aiming to achieve.
    or maybe their conscience is getting the better of them. One room a woman fights to keep a baby from miscarriage the next it is an inconvenience it has got to play on their minds
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

ha98ed14 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

deleted
    Last edited by ha98ed14; 03-31-2011 at 12:54 PM.

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast