Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 LastLast

I am pro-life, but I believe those numbers/stats are right on target.

I am a Christian, but the number of people who identify with religion now days has drastically declined. And being pro-life is *usually* in conjunction with religious belief. So I find it very easy to believe that for the most part, the majority of Americans are pro-choice. I don't like it, but it is what it is.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Actually, I didn't read the stats provided. I said I'm skeptical of info provided by prochoicers. Of course anyone who is adamantly Prochoice is going to provide stats that support the Prochoice side! I'm prolife, which is where the skepticism comes in.
    Now, I've said before in this thread that I think you typically come at this being fair and civil, but I really don't think this is at all fair. It's not like Green Tea came up with some sort of outlandish statistic that one would look at and question immediately. I understand not having the time to go check up on it, but it's wrong to basically accuse someone of stretching the truth or using bogus information to back up their positon just because they disagree with you. Those numbers are in line with everything I've ever heard about this issue.

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    Abortions are legal but if you want one PAY FOR IT YOURSELF.
    I don't get it. I AM paying for it myself. What is the difference if I use moeny in my bank or if I use money in my HSA? I earned it, it was paid to me, and the only differnce is that the HSA isn't taxed yet. As Ellie's Mom so elloquently pointed out, the difference in what would have been taxed if it were in my bank account is seriously negligible. No one's tax dollars are being used here. My EARNED dollars are. MINE. I'm paying fo it MYSELF. I do not get this argument.

I agree with the PPs that have said this bill is meant to pander and not to truly effect actual legislation. That's my opinion.
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

maydaymommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    You'll have to forgive me if I'm extremely skeptical of any polls or statistics provided by pro-choicers. Why would you ever present any statistics that DIDN"T support your side?
    Just want to point out that previous posts in this thread cited polls from Rush Limbaugh and other fiercely partisan organizations and they were expected to be taken as credible.
    Big Brother 5/07
    Little Brother 9/09

Kymberley is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by maydaymommy View Post
    Just want to point out that previous posts in this thread cited polls from Rush Limbaugh and other fiercely partisan organizations and they were expected to be taken as credible.
    You are correct, I heard it from Rush, but he was right. Look at the link that Dogmom provided, page 88 Table 4.18. In 2009, over 87,000 abortions in NYC alone, 40,000+ of which were African-American. I'm sure there are far more interesting statistics in that nyc.gov document, but it sickens me to read it.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by maydaymommy View Post
    Yes Kristen quoted a link from Rush Limbaugh in which he had the stats on the NYC 59.7 % of african american pregnancies ending in abortion. I asked for links and she provided several where the stats were quoted.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    Yes Kristen quoted a link from Rush Limbaugh in which he had the stats on the NYC 59.7 % of african american pregnancies ending in abortion. I asked for links and she provided several where the stats were quoted.
    Just because it came from Rush, doesn't mean he pulled it out of his ass....

There were a LOT of links that provided that stat... pretty scary.

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think maydaymommy only meant that none of the pro-choice people on this thread accused anyone of posting inaccurate materials, even though the sources cited in that case are partisan.

I'm also not exactly sure what folks are getting at when they single out the African American community in this. I mean yes, there is more poverty in minority communities, and therefore some minority mothers may feel that they don't have the resources to take care of another child and choose to terminate. I don't know, that's pure speculation, but I'm unsure why that particular statistic is one that people thought was relevant to this discussion.

Kymberley is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mommylamb View Post
    I think maydaymommy only meant that none of the pro-choice people on this thread accused anyone of posting inaccurate materials, even though the sources cited in that case are partisan.

I'm also not exactly sure what folks are getting at when they single out the African American community in this. I mean yes, there is more poverty in minority communities, and therefore some minority mothers may feel that they don't have the resources to take care of another child and choose to terminate. I don't know, that's pure speculation, but I'm unsure why that particular statistic is one that people thought was relevant to this discussion.
    It may not be relevant to the original discussion, but this thread deviated from the original post long before I brought it up. There is a LOT of bashing in this thread, so I put the number out there hoping that it might make people stop and think about the bigger picture.

Quote Originally Posted by mommylamb View Post

I was thinking the exact same thing. I am just hoping that I missed the point.
    DD '06
    DD '14

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 LastLast