Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I seemed to remember not liking the Air and Space...is that the one that's a McDonalds?
    Yes. There may be another option too, but that is the main one. I actually think it's one of those places that is like a combo McD/Pizza Hut-ish kind of place, KWIM?

ETA: Air&Space concessions: http://www.nasm.si.edu/visit/concessions/food.cfm
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

And here's Museum of the American Indian cafe info along with a menu with price list (click on the PDF).

http://www.nmai.si.edu/subpage.cfm?s...third=mitsitam

ETA: All the Smithsonian official dining options: http://www.si.edu/Dining
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

mytwosons is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    Well, this weekend every place on the Mall is going to be crowded. There are fireworks on the Mall that night, the blossom festival, Opening Weekend for the Nationals, etc.

Do your friends live in the area? Are they trying to accommodate you by going to the Mall?

Udvar-Hazy is interesting, but it is not the National Mall.
    I didn't know about the fireworks. Would we be insane to consider them?

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I love the food court at the Museum of the American Indian. It is so yummy and I haven't gotten stuck in a miserable line there.

Beth

ciw is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Thanks for the links, Beth (egoldber). The menu at the American Indian Museum is making me hungry!

And thanks for the tip about the lines there, Beth (SnuggleBuggles). That's good to know!

I love Jaleo which is not very far from the Navy Memorial metro stop, somewhat close to the National Gallery. It can get crowded, though I have never been for lunch on a weekend. Service can be leisurely which may be hard with a three year old. But the food arrives pretty steadily.

The restaurant at Udar whatever is a McDonalds.

Catherine

ciw is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Thanks for the help! We ate lunch at NMAI and it was quite good. The museums were crowded but better than I expected for a busy weekend. The line to the NMAI cafeteria was the worst line we stood in but it moved at a decent pace and everyone was pleased with their meal so I think it was worth it!

I'm glad you had a good time. The NMAI is unique and well worth visiting.

Quote Originally Posted by ciw View Post
    Ugh, that's not good news about the crowds. Friends are from the other coast but are in town for work. We were trying to work a museum in mainly for DS. We're a hike from D.C. but don't live so far away that I feel compelled to get every museum in, particularly since DH and I have done them all before and I'm not sure how much a three-year-old is going to get out of the museums. Honestly, just a look at the woolly mammoth would probably be enough for DS who likes dinosaurs and looooves elephants. But I think he might enjoy the Air and Space Museum too.

If it was just a family trip, we would just pack a lunch and visit the museums (we always brown-bagged it when visiting D.C. as kids too) but I'm not sure that works for this situation. I'm totally stumped about what to do.

Sounds like where I used to live. Friends were in town from Germany and only had a little while to meet. I got a gourmet lunch of finger foods together (some bought, some made) and brought it in a basket. We ate on the steps of the castle. Gotta say, this was pre-search days, though. A lot of fun, especially when the frisbee came out of the basket, lol!
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2