Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BillK is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Help! Hardwood floors suddenly super slippery?!?!

So we've had hardwood flooring throughout our first floor for about 5 years now. I'm fairly good about keeping them cleaned with Bona hardwood floor cleaner and all has been fine up until about a week ago.

Very suddenly both boys are constantly slipping and sliding - even my wife and I have had some slips when not wearing slippers.

I'm totally stumped about it other than 1 possible explanation. Shortly before this all started - my wife bought Ben new socks at Target with anti-skid rubbery stuff on the bottom. Beyond that 1 thing - I can't think of anything in our household that's changed that would suddenly create a hardwood ice skating rink in our house.

Any other ideas? We've been wracking our brains here and that's all we can come up with and I have my doubts that's what it is.
    ~Bill

veronica is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I think you've been cleaning them too much.
    DD 12/05
    DS 07/07
    Twin DS's 5.18.2011

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Is the floor cleaner bottle new, and did they reformulate. Certain cleaning agents make our like an ice rink also. I am back to using vinegar and gentle dish soap.

Maybe your floors are too clean and this is a good excuse to just let them get dirty.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Pollen? Dust?

If you clean them again with your regular floor cleaner, is it still slippery?

Have you dusted your furniture with any Endust or similar aerosol furniture polish? If I spray Endust on my endtables, the residue always gets on the floor and makes the floor really, really slippery. My kids have fallen down it's so slick.

I've learned I need to spray my cloth and then use the cloth on the wood instead of spraying directly onto the wood.

when I was a kid, my sister and I used to pledge our wood floors so that we could play a rousing game of indoor hockey. I wonder if the cleaner you are using has some similar type of wax.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Do your kids have Moon Dough? The residue from that makes our floors super slippery .
    Kris

barkley1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by artvandalay View Post
    Have you dusted your furniture with any Endust or similar aerosol furniture polish? If I spray Endust on my endtables, the residue always gets on the floor and makes the floor really, really slippery. My kids have fallen down it's so slick.

I've learned I need to spray my cloth and then use the cloth on the wood instead of spraying directly onto the wood.

Quote Originally Posted by zoestargrove View Post
    when I was a kid, my sister and I used to pledge our wood floors so that we could play a rousing game of indoor hockey. I wonder if the cleaner you are using has some similar type of wax.
    We use the same cleaner as the OP uses (Bona) and it doesn't leave a slick/slippery residue.

But your story about using pledge on the floors to play indoor hockey is really funny!

Did anyone walk on the floors with sneakers that had been in a newly waxed gym floor? My hardwood floors became slippery after my brother came by to help move some furniture. Before that, he was at the gym playing basketball. There must have been some wax residue on his shoes that he nicely deposited on our floors.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast