Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Cheerios: can we talk alternative snacks?

My awesome Nanny is suggesting our 6 month old start on snacks: cheerio looking things. Despite the fact the container says it's organic, in my mind it's still processed food and served out of plastic.

Baby is breastfeeding mornings, when I get home from work and on weekends. He eats 3 pureed meals a day.

What snack alternatives to Cheerios are there...

1) that aren't processed foods
    2) are not choking hazards / dissolve quickly
    3) help him develop his fine motor skills

Or am I drawing too hard a line in the sand here?

Maybe someone else may think of something, but I think that anything dry (as in not a puree, that is messy, and you need to feed him himself)--that dissolves, is going to be processed. But I don't think something like Cheerios is a bad thing (in my opinion). Especially the organic versions are just oats and single ingredients that you could technically combine in your own kitchen.

What about organic baby puffs? Like Happy Baby brand? Just oats, brown rice, a touch of apple juice, vegetables and vitamins. Zero grams of sugar.
    http://shop.happybabyfood.com/our-pr...ens-puffs.html
    http://shop.happybabyfood.com/sweet-potato-puffs.html
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Organic baby puffs dissolve way more quickly than Cheerios. That said, I still break them in half for my toothless 10 month old.

Oatios (organic O's) are a better substitute for Cheerios, although I don't sweat that too much - either is fine.

I started the O cereals and baby puffs at around 8 months more as a way for the baby to get interested in her food, in which she had no interest till we intro'd finger foods. 6 months is early and I wouldn't let your nanny push you or him into eating processed cereals before you want to introduce them. There isn't much nutritional value in the puffs, and a little in Os. It's more for "practice" eating.

Once the baby is used to eating, you can introduce other finger foods like steamed veggies and fruit - search for "baby led weaning" on these boards or on google.

goldenpig is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Organic Baby Mum-Mum rice crackers are great first teething crackers:
    http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Kid-Organi.../dp/B001DBPUB4
    Gluten free and dairy free (at least the organic ones are, but some of the regular flavors have milk powder in them). It's a big surfboard shaped cracker so easy for the babies to grab and hold onto even before they have a pincer grasp. I gave them to my 6 month old and my toddler daughter gobbles them up too (they come packaged in sets of two crackers so easy to take in the diaper bag). Really saved my butt when he was in his carseat hating phase because I would sit next to him and dispense crackers to make him stop crying.
    Party of five!
    Double big sister
    Big brother
    Little brother

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

For quick, non-messy, on the go snacks for a 6 month old:
    Baby Mum Mums
    Trader Joe's Freeze Dried Fruit pieces (or Sweet Tomatoes pieces)

Avoid: Foods which require a pincer grasp which will happen between 7-9 months for your baby instead (they won't be able to get it efficiently into their mouth before then and need a 'handle' to hold for eating).

Once they ahve a pincer grasp the puffs will be a great option!
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

catsnkid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DS didn't grasp the whole finger food thing until at least 7 months but eventually caught on. Mum mums are great. You can also get organic cheerios if organic is important to you.
    DS 6/09

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I liked the organic baby puffs (less sugar than the gerber ones too). I also just started with plain, organic puffed wheat cereal (totally dissolves in the mouth).
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

How about freeze dried fruit?

Catherine

Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Sprog's just about outgrown her mum mums but they were very much enjoyed! But I've always been bugged by the massive amount of packaging that they come in. Why are they individually wrapped in foil??

Yeah, I know, probably for freshness and convenience. But I'd rather they just came in a box.

We also did the puffs. But now we're on to re Cheerios. We keep all that stuff to a minimum, though, and do much more stuff like dehydrated fruit for quick snacks.

Often bumbling mother to baby girl "Sprog"
    Born November, 2009

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

If you're going the "mum mums" route, I would definitely recommend getting the organic kind. The conventional kind are made in China and aren't GMO free.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast