Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Tampons Question - o.b. Gone; Now What?

OK, so in addition to getting the tummy bug my brother Joe gave to DD (and our sister, brother, sister-in-law and nephews) on Thursday, AF came back. After almost 2 years (been pregnant & nursing; still nursing, tho) ... so I had to make a Target run for "feminine care" products.

While perusing the tampons, in preparation for summer, the reality of the quiet o.b. tampon "recall" hit. Nowhere on the shelves were my once-beloved o.b. tampons!

I don't know what to do.

I tried to find the o.b. thread we had a few months ago, but failed dismally in the search. Dang.

So ... what do I try next? I'm fine with applicator-free tampons but will deal with an applicator if that's the only comparable option. The biggest draw of o.b. was its compact size so I didn't have to take up a ton of room in my purse with the associated trappings of AF.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

If you are cool with applicator free, there are some "natural" ones at Trader Joes' and Whole Foods that are good.
    http://www.amazon.com/Natracare-Orga...1839834&sr=8-2

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

ob tampons do still exit. They have discontinued the most absorbent version, but they still have Super and Regular.

You can order them at drugstore.com
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

You can still find obs (except Ultras) but you may have to hunt for them. They are supposed to be back in wide distribution in May (once again, except Ultras). Here are the alternatives I have found:
    Maxim
    Seventh Generation (found these @ Whole Foods)
    Moxie (both applicator & non-applicator & they come in a cute tin - haven't found them to try yet in B&M - you can look @ their website for B&M availability)
    Naturecare (found these @ Whole Foods)
    I have an unopened box of Ultras & ~12 from an opened box - I am rationing them...

Have a happy period

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I cannot believe the Ultras are not coming back -- had not heard that. I use the Diva except when traveling for work -- what is a good brand similar to Ultra.
    TIA
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

goldenpig is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

What?!

I just started my first period in almost two years (also pregnant, then nursing). I am going to have to dig out my stash of o.b. and check. Hopefully I have enough to tide me over.
    Party of five!
    Double big sister
    Big brother
    Little brother

So why did they discontinue the Ultras? I did notice that when I was buying last time (before getting pregnant) but thought maybe my Target just wasn't stocking them anymore. I shouldn't have to worry about it for quite a while, but once AF returns, that is what I was planning to use again. *grrr*
    Cheri

Mommy to...
    DD1 6/2/04
    DS 3/9/07
    and finally welcomed DD2 on 8/25/2011!

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MommytoEliana View Post
    So why did they discontinue the Ultras? I did notice that when I was buying last time (before getting pregnant) but thought maybe my Target just wasn't stocking them anymore. I shouldn't have to worry about it for quite a while, but once AF returns, that is what I was planning to use again. *grrr*
    Apparently J&J is being rather secretive about it. There are rumors about reasons you can find if you google it. People are calling for a boycott of all obs since J&J won't make the Ultras anymore. I was flabbergasted when I found out! I had emailed J&J last summer asking if they still made the Ultras since I was having trouble finding them, but they just replied with a list of retailers that sold obs.

OP, you might want to try another Target. I had a bit of a panic after reading about the OB shortage here. But my Targtet has consistently had them. (I never used Ultras, so their discontinuization doesn't bother me).
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast