Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ahrimie is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Sling for a petite/thin mama Recs??

I went to thebabywearer.com and just got really overwhelmed and intimidated by all of the fancy wraps and configurations so I came back to the trusty BBB for advice.

With DD1, I used the Moby (loved) as an infant and then moved on to the Ergo (really loved!) from about 4 or so months. I loved how the Moby was so soft and comfortable and DD seemed so snug in it (though it was really hot in the summer). I did NOT love having to unwrap and rewrap after diaper changes or whatnot while we were out though. I didn't like the thought of the wrap touching the floor/ground while trying to wrap it. Plus, you have to put your baby down to wrap first and then insert. So with the Ergo, I loved how I could do it with one hand and just buckle. And it was still very comfortable.

I've always wanted a sling though. But I wasn't able to find anything that fit me or the carry just seemed off and uncomfortable. I have small/narrow shoulders and pre-pregnancy, weigh a little over 100 lbs and 5'3.

www.uddercovers.com has a sister site: https://www.sevenslings.com/index.ph..._cart#cartSect and you can use the freebie codes here too. So I thought I'd try it out... according to them I'm a size 1 but was wondering if other more experienced babywearin' mamas could tell me if a sling just isn't right for me and if I should go with something adjustable. The pop-in and out feature is what appeals to me most.

Thanks!

DD1 5/08
    DD2 6/11

AshleyAnn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm about 115 and 5ft2 and I really liked my hotsling. They went out of business recently but I think you can find them in stores. I was a size three by thier size guide at my PP size, I'm a size 2 now but can still use it comfortably.

Which carry were you trying? I could never quite the sitting up but facing in/out position to work for me but I loved it for cradling a newborn and helping support an older baby on my hip.

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyAnn View Post

Which carry were you trying? I could never quite the sitting up but facing in/out position to work for me but I loved it for cradling a newborn and helping support an older baby on my hip.
    I tried with DD1 when she was an infant so that was nearly 3 years ago. We tried the cradle position and I tried the hip carry later on but I think the sling was just too big. She felt like she was too low, as if it would be much better if I could just cut off a few inches from the top. I wanted to try out a sling with baby 2, due in June.

DD1 5/08
    DD2 6/11

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I love my Pikkolo! I used it from maybe 4 weeks? And still do, now at 11 months. I'm skinny (size 2) and DD is quite petite as well. I also used a Kangaroo Korner sz small sling with her, and I loved how it was totally adjustable and could be made very small if needed. In general, I think stretchy pouches work well since they can fit more snugly for skinny mamas.

The Ergo with insert felt enormous and bulky and I could never get it to work. I like it from 6 months on without the insert, but not for the infant stage.

ETA Don't forget that your chest will be bigger, esp in the first month, so don't buy too too small a size of whatever sling you're looking at!

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    I love my Pikkolo! I used it from maybe 4 weeks? And still do, now at 11 months. I'm skinny (size 2) and DD is quite petite as well. I also used a Kangaroo Korner sz small sling with her, and I loved how it was totally adjustable and could be made very small if needed. In general, I think stretchy pouches work well since they can fit more snugly for skinny mamas.
    Looks like Kangaroo Korner is out of business now... how was it adjustable? Are there other stretchy pouches out there?

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post

ETA Don't forget that your chest will be bigger, esp in the first month, so don't buy too too small a size of whatever sling you're looking at!
    Sadly, my chest is not that much bigger even while nursing. But you're right, my chest/rib cage is overall a tad bigger than my "normal" but it all shrank back last time around month 4 post-partum.

DD1 5/08
    DD2 6/11

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ahrimie View Post
    Looks like Kangaroo Korner is out of business now... how was it adjustable? Are there other stretchy pouches out there?

Sadly, my chest is not that much bigger even while nursing. But you're right, my chest/rib cage is overall a tad bigger than my "normal" but it all shrank back last time around month 4 post-partum.
    I don't know about other pouches, but I bought my KKAFP on craigslist, so give it a try. It had several rows of snaps that could be sized and adjusted depending on mama and baby size. I started out at the smallest setting (even with the post partum chest - like you, I wasn't that much bigger, and within a month or two, hardly bigger at all!). But when the baby grew, I adjusted it to the next setting up. I only used it for the first 3-4 months, and most of all in the first 6-8 weeks. After that I preferred the Pikkolo.

ABO Mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

How about a ring sling instead of a pouch? I'm not fond of pouches, since you can't adjust them, but with rs you can. SleepingBaby makes lots of reasonably priced slings, and I also like my Maya rs.

ABO Mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

There are mixed reviews for the sevensling on TBW...some like it, others think it's too cheap (poor fabric/fit, etc.).

I am a thin momma who loves her slings! I have a hotsling, a New Native, and a ring sling. I also have an ergo but thats obviously not a sling. The hotsling is my least favorite, the New Native was a nice snug fit when DS was really tine and the ring sling was nice because it was adjustable and made a hip carry really easy once DS was bigger.

I think a ring sling might be your best bet because you can adjust it to fit you whereas the pouches arent adjustable. Love my ring sling for when DS was new until he was about 10 months old where we went carrier-less until he was 1yr when I got the Ergo, my other love.
    DS 1/10 "boo-boo"

Quote Originally Posted by ABO Mama View Post
    How about a ring sling instead of a pouch? I'm not fond of pouches, since you can't adjust them, but with rs you can. SleepingBaby makes lots of reasonably priced slings, and I also like my Maya rs.
    I couldn't find on the Maya website but are they stretchy?

DD1 5/08
    DD2 6/11

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast