Default Help me pick a SS carrier!

Ok, I currently have a Boba and a Beco Butterfly. I will be having DD2 this summer, and would prefer something that forward faces out. I will probably sell the BB2, and the Boba is for toddlers (I think?). So I was thinking, either
    1) Beco Gemini
    2) Babyhawk Meitei (forward faces out?)
    3) Babyhawk Oh Snap (ff out?)
    4) Pikkolo

I'm 5'3, but would say I have a normal-sized torso with short legs! So what do you think?

ABO Mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I assume you mean SSC (soft structured carrier that buckles).

Beco Gemini will face out.

BabyHawk can face out, if you cinch in the bottom with ribbon.

BabyHawk OhSnap does not face out, and is usually better with older babies.

Pikkolo will face out.

I couldn't do facing out...it put too much strain on my back. I found that DS didn't mind facing in, or he rode on my back.

Is the Gemini easier to put on than the Butterfly? Will I miss the infant insert?

Many people find the Gemini more easy to put on than the Butterfly - it is simpler and more like other familiar carriers (Bjorn, Boba, etc). If you really love the safety harness of the Butterfly and the ability to put baby in the carrier before putting the carrier on, then you might miss the Butterfly, but most people are really happy with the Gemini. For the most part, experienced babywearers prefer the Gemini and find the Butterfly a bit fussy.

The Pikkolo is very similar in functionality to the Gemini, but has the option of not using the support belt, which gives it some additional flexibility. It is a cross between a mei tai and a buckle carrier, in that when you don't use the support belt, you shed the bulky padding at the waist/hips and can wear the carrier around your waist like a mei tai.

Hope this helps!
    Laurel
    Owner, Carry Me Away
    Mama to Jack, 5 and Maddy, 3

I love my Beco Gemini. It's sooooo easy to put on, and very very comfortable. I can wear my daughter (currently eight months) for hours with no problem at all. In fact, we recently went to Puerto Rico, and I hiked and toured with her in the carrier!

I found the Gemini slightly more comfortable than the Ergo or Butterfly. I do, however, think the choice is very personal and dependent on your own body type. If you can find a store near you with samples to try on, I highly recommend it. I was totally set on an Ergo until I made the trek to the store and discovered that I MUCH preferred the Gemini.

Good luck!

I have a Pikkolo, and I've tried on the Gemini. I think the Gemini's padding would be a bit hot for summer, but then my kid is a mini-furnace.

The Pikkolo is very comfortable with a newborn and was good for summer. I got the hip belt but didn't find it worked very well--the middle kept popping out, and it's just not as supportive as an SSC with an attached belt. However, if you aren't hoping for a one-and-only carrier, it's great for a baby under 18 lbs or so.

The crossed straps in the front carry are particularly comfortable. I must admit I used the forward-facing-out carry very infrequently, but it wasn't too uncomfortable if it's something you're sure you will need. I don't think I would have missed it if I didn't have the option.