my grandma always made one of these, thanks for the memories!

Quote Originally Posted by MommyAllison View Post
Ok, here are directions - let me know if anything isn't clear.

Bake 2 round cakes, whatever flavor you choose, and let cool completely. Then cut one of the cakes like this ) ( so that the middle is the bow tie shape, and the sides are the ears. The uncut cake will be the face.

Arrange the cake pieces on a large rimmed pan in the shape of the bunny - it's just a single layer cake.

Make frosting of choice - I do basic whipped cream, as I think the coconut/chocolate chips/jelly beans are plenty sweet, and the whipped cream makes it nice and light and springy to me. Frost the entire cake.

Open a few bags of shredded coconut and make up 2 smaller bowls & 1 large bowl. Leave the large bowl of coconut white, and tint the smaller bowls w/food coloring - 1 pink, 1 green (it doesn't take much food coloring at all - toss w/fork to completely distribute color).

Outline the bunny w/chocolate chips, including the inner ears and bow tie details.

Sprinkle coconut all over bunny & surrounding pan. We always do the same as the photo - green on the pan around the cake, pink on the bow tie & inner ears, white everywhere else - but you can do whatever you'd like!

We used jelly beans and string licorice to make the face last year - we've used sundrops (M&Ms), frosting for whiskers, more chocolate chips - whatever you like and can find.

Store in the fridge if you use whipped cream or another frosting that needs refrigeration. I leave ours out all afternoon on Easter with no problem, just refrigerate after eating dessert. Once refrigerated, the texture changes some - whipped cream & coconut gets firmer.

HTH! Let me know if you have any questions.