Default At what age for bunk bed?

At what age would you be willing to put your child on the top bed of a bunk bed? Just wondering what you parents would do.

the idea has crossed our mind for our dd who is 3, but i feel apprehensive.

6-7 years at minimum, I wouldn't put a younger child on the top of a bunk bed, the risk of falling is just to big IMHO

Married to DH since '95

DS1 (’96)DS2 (’97) & DD1 (’97) (twins)DS3 (’99)DD2 (’00)DS4 (’01)DD3 (’03) & DS5 (’03) (twins)
    DD4 (’04)DS6 (’05)DD5 (’07) & DD6 (’07) (twins)DS7 (’08)DS8 (’09) & DS9 (’09) (twins) - DD7 ('11)

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

6 minimum. I believe that is the official recommendation. I had wanted to get them for ds1 and ds2 (8and 3yo) but I am too worried about ds2 getting to the top bunk unsupervised and getting hurt.

Beth

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I was nervous about this too. We got our kids loft beds, DS1 was 6, DS2 was almost 5. Knock on wood, so far they haven't gotten hurt.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We just got the girls Ikea Kura loft beds about a month ago, I guess. They are the lowest lofts we could find and they can be used as bunks although they aren't advertised that way. I was still nervous, frankly (they are 4.5) but they absolutely LOVE these beds. LOVE them, and I haven't had any concerns about them falling. The "lip" all the way around really gives me peace of mind, but it still looks like a big kid bed. Underneath, we have their crib mattresses with some cute pillows, a little bookshelf, and some of their toys. I couldn't be more pleased.

thank you moms. ok i have a few years to wait. i am trying to figure out a sleeping situation for my family.. we will be moving and the bedroom we'll have is small.