Thread: Running shoes?

Default Running shoes?

My knees are hurting so badly before the ibuprofen kicks in that I want to scoot down the stairs on my butt rather than having to walk down them...

I need some running sneakers with a good arch support. Does anyone have any recommendations (that arent going to cost me $100)? I went to Rack Room yesterday and tried on a few pairs but nothing felt like it supported my foot enough. I can go to Rack Room or DSW. Im hesitant to go to a fancy store where they test your feet and stuff because I don't want to drop a ton of money, and I can use a coupon at the aforementioned stores.
    DS 1/10 "boo-boo"

Instead of going to a running store for a fitting, you could do this online fit guide which will recommend shoes for you, and then you could Google a cheaper alternative/different brand that offers the same fit?
    http://www.mizunousa.com/running/inn.../precision-fit

I just so happened to stumble on a pair of Mizunos at DSW in their back room for $69 after discounts. They're regularly in the $100+ range. I was so psyched because it was the exact pair that I had been looking for a deal on.

I have really high arches and was having knee pain when I ran. I went to the new balance factory store and they were great with helping me pick out which shoes would offer arch support. Because it was the factory store, and I had a 30% off coupon. I bought 2 pairs of running shoes, and a pair of sneakers for DD and socks and a tshirt for $112. They often run 30% off sales, not sure if there is one by you.

Whew that mizuno thing was involved! I am using NB shoes right now and like them enough. I have no brand preference at all so long as Im not in pain! I dont know of a factory store near me though
    DS 1/10 "boo-boo"

willow33 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Try this shoe finder:

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/...op_left_banner

It will give more than just one brand and hopefully you can find them at dsw.
    ~H~

Mom to 3 sweet kids
    2003 ~ 2005 ~ 2009

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

They are worth spending $ on and I recommend getting them somewhere like REI with a great return policy. Case in point, I bought a pair there recently and my toes are going numb in them though they fit well at the store. I have adjusted the laces and such with no luck. I'd be mad if I couldn't return them to a store with a bad return policy. I don't like to take advantage of a good return policy but I am grateful for the option.

Beth

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Omega is supposed to do decent fittings (says former runner DH) and you can get on their mailing list for 20% off coupons.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I really recommend going to a B&M running specialty store and at least finding out what type of shoe you need (neutral/cushioned, stability, motion control are the three types). If you can't pay their prices, Road Runner Sports is a great resource ONCE YOU KNOW WHAT SHOE TYPE YOU NEED and what brand/size works for you. I can order from RRS, but I know exactly what shoe/brand/size I need.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    I really recommend going to a B&M running specialty store and at least finding out what type of shoe you need (neutral/cushioned, stability, motion control are the three types). If you can't pay their prices, Road Runner Sports is a great resource ONCE YOU KNOW WHAT SHOE TYPE YOU NEED and what brand/size works for you. I can order from RRS, but I know exactly what shoe/brand/size I need.
    I may. I dont want to be a jerk and go in there and have them test me out etc etc and then not buy their shoes ya know? Thanks for the ideas everyone I am going to come back and check out the recommended sites later today after work!
    DS 1/10 "boo-boo"

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by WolfpackMom View Post
    I may. I dont want to be a jerk and go in there and have them test me out etc etc and then not buy their shoes ya know? Thanks for the ideas everyone I am going to come back and check out the recommended sites later today after work!

I would go in and be honest. You need help finding a shoe and you have a very tight budget, you would prefer to establish a long-standing relationship with a B&M store (as opposed to online), maybe they can PM -- you might want to call and speak with the manager first.

GL!
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011