Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    Went to school with a boy named Scott Scott. He always had issues when having to check in or list his name on paperwork and some well intentioned person was saying "No honey, I need your last name here, not your first."
    Can you imagine what a pain his name is?
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

brgnmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    I don't think Love is that weird. I've known more than one person named that, the oldest being a woman in her 60s. In fact, they've all been adults so maybe it's an old fashioned name?

I know someone named Five. Yes, like the number.
    hey, I know someone named Seven. He's in preschool like my DS, and I think his name rocks.

I know someone from my childhood church named Happy.

lizzywednesday is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    I don't think Love is that weird. I've known more than one person named that, the oldest being a woman in her 60s. In fact, they've all been adults so maybe it's an old fashioned name?

It's like naming your child for the Virtues - Grace, Faith, Hope, Chastity, Mercy, Prudence, Patience, etc.

It's a nice intention to imbue your child with the virtue you're choosing (i.e. - hoping that Love will always be loved; hoping that Faith will always have faith, etc.) and it's been done in various circles over history.

Besides, having a story like that (God named you this) can be really cool to tell a kid when they're old enough to listen. My brother Joe thinks it's fun to tell his story; my sister is named for the patron saint of our church and my mother's sister; my parents chose my name for its meaning; my daughter's name was chosen with attention to its meaning and its relation to family ... and, honestly, I think it's cool to have that kind of story.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

I had a classmate named pepsi. but I thought it was cool-- different and interesting.

eta. never known anyone with a number for a name but it actually sounds nice!

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

When I was a kid my parents sold our house by owner. The people who bought it had a daughter named Petunia.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

blue is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by LMPC View Post
    I had a friend in school named Blue because his dad liked a particular college football team.
    What's wrong with Blue? .........
    DS1
    DS2
    DD1

Quote Originally Posted by brgnmom View Post
    hey, I know someone named Seven. He's in preschool like my DS, and I think his name rocks.
    Seven seems much cooler than Five. I don't know why!
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Neelloc is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Back when I was pregnant with my oldest DD, I worked as the newborn photographer at 2 local hospitals. I came into the nursery and the nurses were all up in arms. One of the Moms had just filled out the birth certificate info on her son and had decided to name him Taz. The nurses (all grandmotherly types) were horrified. When I saw the last name, I thought it sounded kinda cool. When I went into to take the baby's picture, I asked the Mom what baby's name was and she said Taz, and also said the nurse gave her a hard time about the same and told her she might want to reconsider. When I got the photo form a day later, the name was still Taz.

The other name I came across from a new Mom when photographing newborns was Shaughnessy for a girl. I guess it was Mom's maiden name and she really wanted it for her daughter.

Oh, and then there was Precious Treasure. How can I forget her?
    I've got 3!!!!
    2 primary school DD's and a toddler DS!

A high school principal in one of the town's I lived in had the name Richard Trickle. He went by Dick...which never made sense to me. I met him once.

My mom's all time favorite boy's name is Peter. My brother's name is Mark. She couldn't name him Peter Eder. My brother has to watch out for things like this if he has any boys.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Seven seems much cooler than Five. I don't know why!
    Because he's a walking Sienfeld reference!
    GEORGE: Oh, no no no. Course not. I got a great name for our kids. A Real original. You wanna hear what it is? Huh, you ready?
    SUSAN: Yeah.
    George uses his finger to draw a number 7 in the air, accompanying the strokes of his digit with a two-tone whistle.
    SUSAN: What is that? Sign language?
    GEORGE: No, Seven.
    SUSAN: Seven Costanza? You're serious?
    GEORGE: Yeah. It's a beautiful name for a boy or a girl...
    Susan scoffs.
    GEORGE: ...especially a girl. Or a boy.
    SUSAN: I don't think so.
    GEORGE: What, you don't like the name?
    SUSAN: It's not a name. It's a number.
    GEORGE: I know. It's Mickey Mantle's number. So not only is it an all around beautiful name, it is also a living tribute.
    SUSAN: It's awful. I hate it!
    GEORGE: (angry) Well, that's the name!
    SUSAN: (also angry) Oh no it is not! No child of mine is ever going to be named Seven!
    GEORGE: (yelling) Awright, let's just stay calm here! Don't get all crazy on me!
    JERRY: Seven? Yeah, I guess I could see it. Seven. Seven periods of school, seven beatings a day. Roughly seven stitches a beating, and eventually seven years to life. Yeah, you're doing that child quite a service.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast