rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Plane entertainment for 1-year old--toddler app recommendations?

Hi all!

I'm going to be traveling alone for the first time with my 11.5 month old DD in a few days, and I'm feeling totally nervous about entertaining her during the 2 hour flight, the 1.5 hour layover, and the next 3 hour flight. She's flown & traveled by car a lot, but last time we flew my DH was along and she was only 7 months old, so I'm guessing this time will be a whole different ball game.

I don't want to pack an insanely large bag of plane entertainment, so I'm so far just bringing a couple of her favorite books, some small toys, and snacks & her sippy cup. However, I'm also thinking about bringing our ipod touch to entertain her. We've never let her play with it before, but she's FASCINATED with our phones and computers at home (although we don't let her play with them, of course), so I thought that if we could find some good little-kid apps that might be a really good way to keep her quiet (and us off the STFU Parents blog).

Any suggestions for good toddler-friendly apps? We have one of the older ipods that only has sound with headphones (which I can't imagine her tolerating) so no movies/things where the sound is essential. Any other plane survival tips?

TIA!!!

Bumping this up. Anyone have any ideas? Should I cross post in the Lounge?

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

if i was traveling alone with a 1yo and had a layover, i'd probably buy the baby his/her own seat, and bring carseat along. that way you can get some sort of break from holding her, and she can take a nap more easily on one of the flights. and i don't have one, but i heard the GoGoKidz Travelmate is great...that way u can use carseat as a stroller to take baby around everywhere

my ds also loves all electronics (phones, etc), esp my ipod touch...i think that would be great in-flight entertainment!! tho i would recommend Otterbox defender case (my son shattered my ipod screen when he dropped it once). as for apps, my DS likes Hatch (touch the screen to crack an egg, then eventually there's a little animal or smoething appears). however, at this stage (15 mo) my ds is still kinda young to play apps properly and seem pretty satisfied with just pressing the button on the ipod and exploring the touchscreen (warning though, after letting ds play with it i often find my apps rearranged/regrouped )
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 04-16-2011 at 11:16 AM.

Thanks for the recommendation! We downloaded Hatch. In case anyone else is interested, we also got the following apps, all free:

scribble or scribble lite
    bubble snap
    newton's cradle classic
    pocket frogs
    toddler teasers: shapes
    the pool
    colorful aquarium lite
    push the button

I'll let y'all know which ones are hits.

We like Zoola as well - animal sounds.

We also found that the veggie tale silly songs videos (only 2 - 3mins long) are great distractors when our DD gets upset. I know many people don't let their little ones watch TV, but this is all we allow.