Lupe is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Looking for a new carrier

DS is now 7 weeks old and loves to be carried. He however cries whenever he is put into it so I would like something that I can get him into fast
    I received a baby bjorn and a moby as gifts, he seems to prefer the moby
    But I have to admit it is a pain to put on and to put the baby into and somehow I can never get it tight enough without being too tight
    I can see my husband using the born eventually when ds can face outward
    But wanted to get another one for me to use now
    Any other carrier recommendation ?
    I've seen some moms with pouch like things that seem so easy to use

alirebco is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

A mei tai is pretty easy to tie on and use - Babyhawk is one brand.
    A, mom to Ethan age 5.5 and L age 2

I like my Dr. Sears Balboa Baby Sling.

It's like a pouch, but it's adjustable. It also has a handy pocket (I've slid a key in it before... or a paci or a phone).

My DS is 2 months old, and does pretty well in it. He usually fusses for the first few minutes, but then calms down. As he's getting a little older and enjoying looking around, I sit him up in it more than lay him down.

I got mine at Buy Buy Baby.

HTH!!
    Andi
    Mommy to Little Monkey 2/11

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." — Albert Einstein
    "I believe in pink" - Audrey Hepburn

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Pikkolo!

I got mine when DD was 6 weeks or so and have used it daily ever since. She's now 11 months old!

I bought mine at frogmama.com

A baby k'tan is like a pre-tied moby, so a lot quicker. A Mei Tai or SSC like a piccolo will last you much, much longer.

I love the piccolo, but you might want to think about an O&A or Beco, as the internal harness makes back carries so easy for newbies. Baby can't fall out.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Dena

Super Crunchy Mama to:
    ('06) The big guy

('09) The little guy

('12) and the diva

Learning to live with MSPI, FPIES and Food Allergies.

Lupe is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I've been looking on amazon and the reviews are confusing
    I was considering a Mei Tai, but I've read the ties are really long
    I want to be able to put it on in a parking lot or the street

Anyone has a baby k'tan? (The Pikkolo soudns nice, but dh says I have 2 carriers already and it is crazy to spend that kind of money in another one)

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Lupe View Post
    I've been looking on amazon and the reviews are confusing
    I was considering a Mei Tai, but I've read the ties are really long
    I want to be able to put it on in a parking lot or the street
    This is why I got a Pikkolo. It is a structured Mei tai (with buckles, no ties).

ABO Mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would not get the k'tan if you already have a moby. They have about the same lifespan (one your baby hits 15lbs, it's no longer as comfy to wear). I personally really like stretchy wraps, like moby, for newborns. I would tie the wrap on in the morning, and just wear it all day, popping baby in and out as needed. If we were driving somewhere, I'd tie the wrap on at home, put DS in his carseat, and then be able to quickly pop him in the wrap once we got there.

I hate to say it, but the bjorn is an aweful carrier. It killed my back, even when trying to wear DS as a bitty newborn. Facing the baby out just makes it worse, since the weight of the baby is pulling away from your body. A soft structured carrier (SSC) is a much better option. Popular SSC are Beco, Ergo, Pikkolo, Patapum, etc. SSC have a structured waist band which transfers the weight of the baby from your shoulders to your hips.

Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Yeah, the Bjorn kills backs. Many friends have told me they had to give up using it once their baby was six months or so.

We love, love, love our Ergo. It does not have forward-facing, though. There are different opinions whether the front facing is even desireable. Personally, we've been totally content without it.

I also have a Baby Hawk mei tai. I got it becuase it was so beautiful and sometimes I miss the natural, buckle-free life when we just used our sling. Who am I kidding? I was just self-indulgent.
    The ties are long because they have to go all around your body and then have a generous length to tie in front. I was already very experienced with our Ergo before getting the mei tai, so it's easy for me to use. It would have been trickier if I'd started with it, though. Can you find a local shop where they can help you try on different options? You'll get a feel for which you prefer. There are lots of youtube videos showing how they work if you want a visual.

Even though the ties are long on the Babyhawk, there's a real benefit to how small the whole thing folds up. The ERgo is a tiny bit more bulky. Sometimes my Ergo drags on the ground, too.

Often bumbling mother to baby girl "Sprog"
    Born November, 2009