Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Not Feelin' the Ergo Love

I have a New Native sling I loved for Dolly when she was smaller, but it is getting uncomfortable to tote her in it lately. Today I picked up an Ergo ( full retail at BUR...I know, but I was desperate) and I don't really like it at all.

i bought it thinking I could use it for both girls but no matter how I adjusted it for either one I never was comfortable. Any suggestions on another to try?
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

lorinick is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm sorry. I find the Ergo so comfortable. Much more so than the BB. Did you try the Beco?

alirebco is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

How tall are you? And what is your size? The Ergo doesn't work as well for petite people.

Did you try a front carry or a back carry?
    A, mom to Ethan age 5.5 and L age 2

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Keep trying! There are videos on ERGO's website too! Maybe it just needs some adjusting.

I love my ERGO and I'm petite. I can carry DS2 in a back carry for a while and he is 26 lbs!

Link to videos: http://videos.ergobaby.com/en-us/
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Definitely give it some trial and error. A few ideas...

1. Is the waist belt on your HIPS and not your natural waist? Very important for comfort.
    2. Were you doing a front carry or back carry? With a 1 yo, a back carry is what the Ergo excels at and a front carry is cumbersome with a toddler (IME, other like it both ways).
    3. How was the chest clip adjusted? The shoulder straps? Was the baby snugged all the way down in the carrier with their legs well-spread such that their knees were level with their hips?
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

I agree about the back carry! For me they were much more comfortable when my kids were older. You could also try getting a snugger fitting pouch. The New Native tends to be quite large, so not comfy for a hip carry. I loved doing hip carries for shorter trips with dd at that age. I had a Hotslings pouch and it was super for that. It can be helpful to try them on in person, since getting the sizing right is important.

Another thing, can you try loosening the straps a bit on the Ergo? Sometimes people (myself included) tend to make them too tight since they feel more secure that way. Letting them out a bit can make a big difference.
    Kate LEUKEMIA SURVIVOR
    ds1, A, 12.04
    ds2, W, 12.06
    dd, G, 10.08

Beth24 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Does anyone like to use their Ergo for hip carries at this stage? (I have a 23 pound 9 month old).
    DS, 15
    DD, 10
    DS, 3

I also don't feel the ergo love. There is nothing I will love as much as the moby, but DD is a bit too big for it now. (I still haven't put it away yet.) I liked the ergo the more the more I carried it, but I'm not nutso for it. I haven't tried back or hip yet though.

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Definitely NOT petite, I'm 5-8 and wear a 12 or 14 pants. I liked it so-so for putting Dolly (the 1 yo) in for a front carry but it seemed to hurt my lower back.

Then I tried to get Lula in there for a piggy back and I nearly choked on the chest clip. I tightened it down to where it was on my collar bone instead of throat, but I was *very* aware of the carrier digging in on my waist and back. It is WAY more comfortable just carrying her piggy back with out the carrier!

I think my New Native is actually too small. I need to go look at the side carry again. Maybe that will work.
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

ABO Mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

The hip carry is not my favorite. The best SSC hip carrier is the Scootababy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast