Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: You got bigger!

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I would be tempted to say: Thanks for the observation brainiac.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Smile

Ashley I hear you. I'm 5'2" too. It's not like I can grow taller folks. I'm incubating a human being in my tiny frame.

If it's any consolation, when I was pregnant w #1, the day I announced my pregnancy my mother who didn't know yet greeted at my house with a big old, "honey, you are gaining weight and getting fat." I love you too mom.
    Mom, Wife and Finder of lost items
    AP-er, Breastfeeder, Babywearing, No Circ Mama

Quote Originally Posted by LadyPeter View Post

And then in the last trimester, I was so uncomfortable, I welcomed it when people said "any day now!" I kept telling myself maybe they were right...maybe I miscalculated my dates and I could actually give birth at any minute. (Given that I delivered a 7.5 lb baby at 36.5 weeks, they might have been right.)

I never felt like people were trying to be mean or rude. Most people see pregnancy as beautiful and exciting, so that's how I took it.
    Imagine going to 42 wks...almost another 6 wks of pregnancy! I have photos from last time and my somach practically doubled in size the last few weeks. You want to hit people that say any day now or when friends who are also preggo deliver first.

Ironically I am about to start the last trimester and I feel great. I feel like I sort of evened out or maybe I just acclimated to my huge belly!

BayGirl2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by momm View Post
    I don't know. I don't think it's meant in a bad way, as in "you're huge, fat and ugly"

It's just an observation, right?

People used to tell me that all the time, I'm 5'0", and pre-pregnancy I was quite skinny so looked like I gained a lot of weight and was shocking to many people. But it's like saying "Oh you have a new shirt" - not good or bad, it's an observation.

Did you all feel it was meant in a nasty way when said to you?

I think people just say it as an observation, because they need something to say. I admit, sometimes when I see a very pregnant friend for the first time in a while I'll say something like "you're belly's so big, you look so cute" Usually followed by a comment about how its all in the belly and she looks great, like the perfect pregnant woman.... or something. Not at all meant to be rude or insulting, but more that its hard not to acknowledge someone who is twice the size of when you last saw them. Now when you see the person every day, that does get a little tedious...
    Amy

DS - June 2009
    DD - September 2011

Yes, my mom's favorite comment is "Your belly looks obscene!" I don't know why she uses that word. I'd prefer she say huge or large or whatever. My favorite 'comment' was DS who pointed at a hippo in his book and said 'mommy'. His vocabulary is limited, but it was still funny. My DH says my pg belly is beautiful.

the "you look so big" comments don't bother me, but the thing that does is when people ask me if I'm having twins. Seriously, why would you say that? I had three people make that comment to me in one week, and it got pretty old. Especially since, even though I know I'm looking pretty big these days, it's not like I've gained an excessive amount of weight! the other comments that bug me are people telling me that I am not really tired now, just wait until after the baby is born. Can't I be tired now too? I know that after the baby is born I will be exhausted, but that doesn't mean I'm not already exhausted carrying around an extra 30 pounds in my belly and being unable to sleep due to legs cramps, back ache, heartburn, running to pee ever hour, etc!

I'm 5'10" and I had this little basketball size belly that you won't even see from behind. EVERYONE felt the need to comment that my belly was unnaturally tiny, which freaked me out to tears. It made me think something was wrong with the baby. Why is my belly so tiny? Is DD not growing well? Why am I not huge like "normal" pregnant women? Honestly, I even cried, I was so upset. I heard these observations multiple times every day.

To me, the lesson is never to comment on the size of a pregnant woman. If I feel like I have to say something, I say "You look great".

P.S. DD ended up being perfectly normal size 7lb 12oz.
    DD February 2010
    DS January 2012

People come in all shapes and sizes...why would that change when you're pregnant?!

Quote Originally Posted by BabbyO View Post
    People come in all shapes and sizes...why would that change when you're pregnant?!

I have a few extra lbs already, so I am sure I will look more pg than I am. If you would not walk up to me normally and mention how big I am, why would my pregnancy give you license to do that?!
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

So funny, I was thinking about this thread yesterday. We took DS to a pool party for a friends 1 yo. I've known this friend since Jr. High and I've known her mom for just as long...though we don't see each other a lot. Anyway, yesterday at the party her mom asked when I was due. When I told her Sept, she asked, "Are you sure its not sooner?" Upon my reply that it was indeed Sept...she proceeded to ask, "Are you sure there's not two in there?"

Yes, I know I'm bigger this time around...I'm working full time, and I have a 2 yo at home. By the time I get him to bed I'm wiped out. No I haven't been walking or exercising as much as I did when I was pg with DS...but I haven't gained THAT much more weight. Besides at my 20 wk US the baby was measuring about 1-2 weeks ahead of where he is...but I don't think my due date is wrong...this one might just be bigger.

Then we were off to party #2 and my girlfriend remarked on my size...but she didn't realize how far along I was or at least covered her self better. She thought I was still closer to the 20 week mark, and her comment was much nicer..."How far along are you? Oh, I was thinking you were due later in the year."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast