Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Baby Shower for #2?

Did you have one?

My MIL asked if I wanted one last night. I just had DS 2 yrs ago and we're having another boy so there is little that we need. The things we do need are big. Double stroller. We could use some $$ to help pay for getting DS' new big boy room ready (curtains, paint, furniture - although we've gotten most of that second hand already). Diapers...but I really prefer pampers for the newborn and #1 size, then Members Mark for the larger sizes (at least for DS).

There's a few other specific things like the clothes hanger with 5 pockets that I like....

I don't know, I'd feel weird having a shower because people were SO generous with DS. I ended up having 3 showers AND people gave us gifts when he was born AND for his baptism.

My mom asked a couple weeks ago, too. I thought you typically didn't have a shower for subsequent children, especially when they are so close in age.

I personally think it's tacky unless there has been a big age gap and even then it's iffy. However if you're talking about a shower that would be all family and they want to do it I don't see the harm. I just wouldn't invite anyone who wasn't family. I'd want it to be more of a family get together to celebrate the new baby, not so much a shower.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We didn't do one for DS2. We invited ppl over to a restaurant (and we paid) for a meet the baby event (DS1 and DS2 are only 18 mo apart), and most ppl gave us a small gift, but it wasn't necessary. I really could have used a baby shower for DS3 (4 yr gap btwn DS2 and DS3), b/c I had given away most of my baby gear. Unfortunately, b/c it was another boy, nobody offered to do one and I ended up buying secondhand and borrowing a lot of baby gear. I had two friends who threw me a mini-shower (it was a playdate and they surprised me by ordering a cake, pizza, gave all the kids party favors and a $30 target GC, perfect for two nursing tank tops!). It was nice of them. For two boys so close in age, the only thing I might register for, just in case someone really wants to do a shower/group gift or get you a nice gift would be the double stroller and smaller sized dipes, b/c most everything else you have could be reused, unless your kids were born in different seasons, you may need different baby clothes.
    Last edited by hellokitty; 06-22-2011 at 10:54 AM.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

ABO Mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I see it as a celebration of a new baby, and every new baby deserves a party!

Quote Originally Posted by ABO Mama View Post
    I see it as a celebration of a new baby, and every new baby deserves a party!
    I think it is perfectly okay. I would limit it to close friends and family. It isn't like you don't need things. Just don't do what my SIL did and write cash gifts and gift cards only please (in a poem no less)...now that was tacky.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBearsMom View Post
    I think it is perfectly okay. I would limit it to close friends and family. It isn't like you don't need things. Just don't do what my SIL did and write cash gifts and gift cards only please (in a poem no less)...now that was tacky.
    Lol, I'd love to see that poem. It sounds like it would be entertaining to read. My brother and sil refused to register for their wedding, b/c they only wanted cash gifts and that totally backfired on them, b/c ppl basically kept calling and asked where they registered at (I warned them that would happen, so they did end up having to register). If ppl want to get you something, you just need to be gracious and accept what they would like to give you.

In our neck of the woods, baby showers for subsequent babies are on a much more casual, smaller scale. Usually they are dipes and wipes type of parties, but that's still awesome, b/c I know some ppl who got enough that they did not have to buy any dipes or wipes for a YEAR! That's impressive, even if it's not as fancy/big as a baby shower, for your first child, which is a milestone that ppl consider a big deal. I do see however, that the first time you get a child of the opposite sex from your other child(ren), ppl almost re-do the whole first baby shower experience again. I have to admit that I was quite jealous of that, b/c I know that had DS3 been a girl, I would have most likely gotten a huge celebration, but b/c I was having a third boy, it was a big let down for everyone.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    Lol, I'd love to see that poem. It sounds like it would be entertaining to read.
    It was something like this:
    A new little baby is entering the world
    And we all need to do our part
    So we want to have a baby sprinkle
    And show some love from the heart.
    We’re all going to help
    And shower them with baby stuff
    Just cash and gift cards will do
    Since they already have enough.

I can't remember the exact wording of the first line, but when it came in the mail, my DH was mortified (SIL is his sister and his mom wrote the poem).

We usually do the dipes/wipes necessities "sprinkles" from close friends.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

I guess just a family party might be ok...but I KNOW DH's family and none of them would abide by the "no gifts" or "Dipes & Wipes only" type thing. They'll end up giving us gifts when the baby is born anyway.

Quite frankly...we don't have a ton of time before #2 arrives and way TOO many things to get done. Plus, I'd like to enjoy a weekend or two with my family before #2. Not to mention we are going to see everyone in the family either at DS' birthday party in 2 weeks or at other family get togethers this summer.

I just feel it is totally unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by BabbyO View Post
    I guess just a family party might be ok...but I KNOW DH's family and none of them would abide by the "no gifts" or "Dipes & Wipes only" type thing. They'll end up giving us gifts when the baby is born anyway.

Quite frankly...we don't have a ton of time before #2 arrives and way TOO many things to get done. Plus, I'd like to enjoy a weekend or two with my family before #2. Not to mention we are going to see everyone in the family either at DS' birthday party in 2 weeks or at other family get togethers this summer.

I just feel it is totally unnecessary.

Why don't you just do an open house type thing after the baby is born then? Or just say no to your family and tell them you don't want a shower?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast