Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default seriously, neighbors?

Update: Thank you all SO much. It really helped me to see all these messages confirming I was neither insane nor over-reacting. And thanks for the ideas and suggestions (and especially for the outrage).

We can't drain the pool without irreparably damaging it. I this morning to get an estimate to fill in the pool with dirt this morning. The good news is that they could start next week. The bad news is that it would be at least $10k.

Yesterday afternoon I wrote an angry letter, then took a deep breath, went for a run, came back and wrote a much better letter that uses the words police, trespassing, and alarm, and asks sincerely for the immediate neighbors' help in keeping everybody safe and out of trouble. There's no finger-pointing, but it's very clear that no more swimming/trespassing will be tolerated. I called and talked to one neighbor (who claimed ignorance) and left a message for another. I talked to one sympathetic-but-not-terribly helpful person with the police department who is passing my concern onto somebody else who is supposed to call me back. (A couple of years ago an officer came to my door to talk about the dog poop we'd allegedly been throwing over our fence into our backyard (you know what I mean?) neighbor's yard. And we didn't even have a dog!) Hopefully the police will be able to help.

After the letter was done, I helped myself to some wine.

A friend near-ish to the house went by this morning and put a new lock and a sign on the pool gate. Hopefully the sign won't scare potential buyers. It would worry me to see it.... I have a call in to the realtor about the whole situation.

I keep trying to get what the parents of these kids are thinking. I mean, really.

I cannot wait until this house sells.

Thank you ALL again.

------------------------------

Ok, selling our house has been difficult and depressing. The market is terrible. I get it. We just fell out of escrow for the third time, and our broker held an open house today to try to bring in another offer.

We live in a different state now, so the house is vacant.

Here's the bitch.
    When she (our broker/listing agent) gets there today, the next-door-neighbor kids are coming out of the backyard, dripping wet. They've been swimming in our pool. She asks them some questions, and they tell her, "Oh, we know the people who own the house and we are allowed to swim any time we want." Um, no.
    Then, as she's walking around to the front door, another group of kids is approaching the house. They stop, and one says, "Oh, I guess we can't swim if she's here," and they turn around and walk away.

I am livid.

We've been having a pool cleaner go by the house each week to make sure the pool is looking great for when the house is shown. And every. week. there is something weird wrong with the pool. Broken plastic on the deck. Food on the chairs. Filter turned off. Extremely low water.

OMG, what if one of the kids gets hurt, or worse???? What if an agent brings clients by to show them the house and the neighbor kids are in the pool?

The pool fence is locked, and last week our pool cleaner moved anything that could be used to climb over it into the garage.

I am on the verge of a total come-apart.
    Last edited by noodle; 04-18-2011 at 06:00 PM. Reason: update
    Jane

Wow. Words seriously fail me. I am so sorry. Perhaps a call or letter from your realtor mentioning "criminal trespass" is in order. Is your former local PD the type that would send an officer out? Unbelievable!
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I would drain the pool, if that is possible without wrecking it. It sounds like they would just disregard a letter.

I would also lock the gates. ETA nevermind, I missed that. They are ignoring/defeating locks. You need to drain the pool.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

So wrong. And ILLEGAL. WTH is wrong with people?
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

That is horrible! I wonder if their parents realize they are doing this? That would make me super angry and also terrified that something would happen. I don't know what you should do, I'm sure you don't want to drain it but that might be your best option. Sorry people are unbelievably rude.

I'd call the local police and explain the situation. Let them know that the neighbors do NOT have you permission to swim in the pool, and ask them to step up patrols of the neighborhood. And I think I'd send a letter to all the houses that surround yours letting them know that it's been brought to your attention that the pool is being used without your permission, and that you have alerted the local police. Ask the neighbors (some of whom might not be using it) to feel free to call the cops if they see anyone in the pool.

What presumptuous jerks.
    Green Tea, mom to three

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oh my god, I would be SO angry. I'm angry for you and I don't even know you!!! I would call their parents and make sure they know what is going on. I would tell the parents that you are calling the police about it and that you will be sending them a notarized letter specifying that their children should not trespass on your property. And then do both of those things the moment you hang up.

Toba is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

So, they're still able to get into the backyard even though your pool cleaner moved anything that could be climbed into the garage? I would seriously call the police. I would not want that mess, especially when you live somewhere else. My first thought goes right to where yours went ... what if someone gets hurt or drowns?? You know someone that arrogant would be willing to sue if that happens. Do you know any of the parents of these children well enough that you could call them and explain that you've alerted the police and that you are totally NOT cool with their kids swimming on your private property? It's not like you're ever going to live there again, so I wouldn't be worried about making someone mad, KWIM?

That's horrible! I agree. Call the cops. And do whatever you can to notify the neighbors that you have done so and that no one has permission to swim in your pool. Can you install a security camera and let the neighbors know you have done so?

I also agree you may need to consider draining it. Though I imagine that is not good for selling.

Catherine

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thank goodness they were caught this way and not in a much more tragic one! I would call the police first and their parents. Do it immediately. And tell their parents that you've alerted the police to the issue, and like the PP said, use catchy phrases like criminal trespass.

Does your former neighborhood have a watch? If so, alert them.

I'd also call every single neighbor on the street and tell them what is going on, and ask them to please call you, collect, if they see *anyone* in the pool, heading in the direction of your pool, etc.

When we sold a house and moved out of state, we ended up doing a rent -to-own. We didn't know that the guy never actually moved in, so for 6 months several our neighbors, unbeknownst to us, were cutting our grass, etc. It was mortifying, but after we found out on a random visit to the area, I took DH's business cards and handed them out to every family on the street, asking them to call me if there was ever a problem again. (and gave $50 longhorn gift cards to the neighbors who'd done all that work. )
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast