Default help with newborn in SSC

DS is just over 2 weeks old, and I started trying out my SSC with him this weekend (A beco gemini). He took right to it the first couple times I put him in it, he generally likes being held sort of 'froggy style' anyhow, so the carrier seemed to be a natural extension of it. The last couple times I've put him in it he has freaked out however, and he generally hasn't been a baby that freaks out. I feel terrible, one time it seemed like I had really scared him, another time he just got fussy.

Any suggestions on how to keep working with him to get him comfortable with the carrier? Should he be awake or asleep when I try to use it (he was asleep the first couple times, and I've wondered if waking up in it was what upset him)? Or should I just maybe consider a sling instead? I was going with SSC to carry the weight in my hips instead of my back, which is bugging me from the my C-sect/loss of ab muscles, I think.
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

You have to make sure you have him in it corectly and safely. That's number one. I would read the instructions closely and practice with a doll a few times. when you're sure you have the technique down, then try getting him in it with help, and then start walking! I found that if my DD was fussy in the carrier, all fussiness disappeared when we walked out the front door. Walking is a perfect way to get baby and you used to the carrier.

Eta: I think ssc is a good way to go, although I'm not familiar with the Gemini
    Last edited by citymama; 04-20-2011 at 01:36 AM.

My dd usually screamed while I was putting her in at first (pikkolo, which is also a ssc) but would settle down almost immediately if I just started walking.

Catherine

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If your DS is fed and doesn't need a diaper change, just start moving. He should be awake when you're putting him in, but could very well fall asleep while being worn. This is OK so long as he's not curling chin-to-chest, as this position can cut off his airway.

My DD will fuss until we start moving to this day and I've been wearing her since she was 3 or 4 weeks old!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

babyonway is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by crl View Post
    My dd usually screamed while I was putting her in at first (pikkolo, which is also a ssc) but would settle down almost immediately if I just started walking.

Catherine
    When DD was a newborn, if I were still she hated it as soon as I moved she calmed down. Now she loves the pikkolo.
    Mama to my sweet lil girl (Summer 2010)

ABO Mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Movement is the key. DS hates it if I'm standing still (if he's asleep, it doesn't matter).

mjs64 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by crl View Post

Catherine

I have the gemini too and have used it since 6 weeks. ds loves it until we stop moving.

he liked the stretchy wrap tho at 2 wks--but i find the gemini easier to position him in comfortably now. i should try the wrap again to see...
    My baby boy is 3!

Thanks everyone! I read some more online and realized that the SSC might not be the best for me right now given that I'm still recovering from a C-sect (and that I might be unintentionally not wearing the carrier at the right place on my hips while I'm protecting my incision), so I bought a sling yesterday and we're going to work with that until my belly is better. First run with the sling was great, although I have to say, I like the idea of supporting his weight with my hips more than my shoulders.
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by echoesofspring View Post
    Thanks everyone! I read some more online and realized that the SSC might not be the best for me right now given that I'm still recovering from a C-sect (and that I might be unintentionally not wearing the carrier at the right place on my hips while I'm protecting my incision), so I bought a sling yesterday and we're going to work with that until my belly is better. First run with the sling was great, although I have to say, I like the idea of supporting his weight with my hips more than my shoulders.
    That was smart problem-solving. We loved our sling until Sprog was about five months old. Then we swapped to the SSC because my shoulder was getting lopsided! I bet you'll be more comfortable in the sling while you heal up and you'll have the SSC for once he puts on more weight.

Often bumbling mother to baby girl "Sprog"
    Born November, 2009