Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Help adjust my mei tai!

My 2nd carrier is a Babyhawk. I'm still getting the hang of it.

My trick is getting it as snug and comfortable as my Ergo. I wear the Ergo nice and snug, with the straps shortened most of the way. (I have a plentiful booty but slender shoulders. ) I can't quite manage that feeling with the mei tai.

Sprog's weight is distributed higher on my torso, not on my hips like in the Ergo. I think that' show it's meant to be but it doesn't feel as comfortable. And it feels like she's able to lean slightly away from me, throwing off my center of gravity a bit. Does that make sense?

Any suggestions? Or, is it just that mei tais don't adjust as firmly as a structured carrier?

Often bumbling mother to baby girl "Sprog"
    Born November, 2009

I've never used a structured carrier like an Ergo, so I don't know if I'll be much help, but I do use MTs a lot, and love my Babyhawk. I've found that if I forget to give a few bounces before tying the shoulder straps, the carrier doesn't feel as snug or comfortable. So, tie around waist, put baby in, pull carrier up around baby, put straps over shoulders, then bounce baby gently a couple times to ensure they are seated nice and deep in the MT, then tie. I'm guessing you're already doing that though. It's probably just a difference between the Ergo & MT styles. I do find that if I wear the MT for a couple hours, it loosens up and I need to retie. I think the MT probably has more give, and the Ergo is more like a backpack - holding it's shape regardless of baby's actions?
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11