View Poll Results: How long did it take for your milk to come in?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2 days or less

15 22.06%
  • 3 days

26 38.24%
  • 4 days

12 17.65%
  • 5 days or longer

15 22.06%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Wow. I had severe oversupply problems and probably related to that is the fact that my milk came in within 14 hours. My doctor was a little surprised when she checked on me the next morning and I was completely engorged. But I never realized how unusual that was.
    DS1 - 11/09
    DS2 - 7/11

How old is your baby now?
    Here is a helpful breastfeeding/diaper log for you: http://www.kellymom.com/store/freeha...ng-log-2wk.pdf

If he is not getting a good latch, then he can't compress the right part of the breast that causes the milk to come in and flow out. It could be there waiting, and he still wouldn't be able to draw it out. His mouth needs to have a deep latch, so that almost all of your areola is inside his mouth. Only a small outer ring of it should be visible. His lips also need to be flanged out, like a fish.
    http://www.drjacknewman.com/video-clips.asp

He should also bee actively sucking for at least 15 minutes per nursing session--minimum. Keep him on one breast until he is full, or (when your milk comes in) that side feels empty.

I would seek help from a lactation consultant, before he gets too dehydrated and jaundiced.
    http://www.ilca.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3432
    http://www.breastfeeding.com/directory/lcdirectory.html
    Or look up your local LaLeche League and call them.

Good Luck!
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

If he does not have a good latch, then it is very possible he is not sucking hard enough to completely bring in your milk. This is what happened with my older DD: poor latch, my milk did not come in for 5 days, almost 4 weeks to regain birth weight. Not all babies will fuss when hungry, many will actually sleep too much as a way to conserve calories. But I didn't know this.

I know it is a huge PITA, but if it were me I would pump after every feeding until your milk comes in. With younger DD, I also had a c-section, but she was in the NICU, so I pumped exclusively every 2 hours around the clock and my milk was in in 2 days.

Are you still in the hospital? Is there an LC on staff? If no, I would try to get discharged ASAP.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Hmmm, maybe the latch is our entire problem. I've looked at every article, video and picture on latching, and I'm trying to get it right. Sometimes I think it looks perfect, and other times it's very shallow. I just can't figure out how to get him to open his mouth wider ( I've read how, I just can't get him to actually do it!).

I am in contact with a LC as well as a LLL leader. The LC is from the hospital and while there she was helping me, however, she looked at my latch and said that it looked ok, so while I really liked her, I'm not sure if she is the exact person I'm looking for. She's also not board certified, but is the best I can do. The next nearest certified one is over an hour drive away, and currently, that's just not an option. I have a meeting with the LLL leader tomorrow for her to take a look at the latch, maybe I'll give her a call today and just have a phone consult (however, with it being Easter, I feel pretty guilty calling).

I just finished up pumping, and not a drop has come out (this is after a feed). I plan to start pumping after each feed. Beth, how long after you started pumping did you start to see an increase in milk output?

In happier news, my little boy has had 3 poopy (mostly orangish yellow!)diapers (small, but bigger than the quarter size that I've read is the minimum) and 2 wet (they were with the poopy, so I can't be 100% sure exactly how much of it was pee because the poop is so watery.

Hang in there mama! Don't feel bad about calling the LLL leader tonight if you need a phone consult, I'm sure she'd be happy to help. As for a LC, you might have to see a few before you find one that can really help you. Breastfeeding can be so different for women, our bodies are different and each baby is different so it takes some trial and error with LCs too. I haven't read everyone's replies but keep drinking lots of water and I mean LOTS. This was tough for me, but helped immensely. Keep us posted when you can.

catsnkid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DS was an "emergency" c-section after an unsuccessful inducement. He was nursing at least colustrum right after, but they were concerned enough to give him a finger feed. I think it really came in the day we went home 3 days out, got super engorged! thank god I had a breast pump.
    DS 6/09

Easy vaginal delivery, milk came in on day 5 w/DS, and day 3-4 w/DD. Both kids lost a ton of weight (10%+), but gained it right back.
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I had an emergency c/s on a Thursday night & my milk came in on Monday (possibly Tuesday). DS was born 9#2oz & left the hospital on Sunday @ 8#5oz.
    DS 2/09

chays is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH BETH.

With DD, she was too sleepy to wake up and eat...so my milk didn't come in and she was losing weight...long story short...I started pumping after EVERY feeding (about 10-15 mins with a good pump) until my milk finally came in. It took 24-36 hrs IIRC for the milk to come in after I started pumping. We also gave her a little formula to get her weight and strength up, but sounds like your little guy doesn't need that.
    chays

DS1 2003
    DD 2006
    DS2 2009

zag95 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by 3blackcats View Post
    You left out the 'other' option
    Never for me, had to go on drugs to get a few drops of milk for each child.
    I'm in this came- unplanned c/s- baby born with bilateral cleft lip and palate; tried pumping only- never really had much milk per say....... did drugs (fenugreek, domperidone, etc) to help- still would get about 1 oz per pumping session, sometimes more. After 2 mos- I ended my own agony!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast