Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Anyone have issues with anxiety meds?

We did a trial of Zoloft with older DD and it was a disaster. It took the edge off the anxiety, but it also highly exacerbated her impulse control issues. The doctor said sometimes it makes people disinhibited, which is what it did to her. It also made her super lethargic.

Even worse, apparently things totally spiraled out of control at school and we were not informed until things were in a terrible mess. I am pretty furious right now with the teachers, the counselor and the administration.

Anyway, we are now trying a different med, but the doctor warned us that they may all have this effect on her. Has anyone else seen this type of side effect with one med and not another?
    Last edited by egoldber; 04-24-2011 at 04:59 PM.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Aw, sorry that trial didn't work out.

I've tried a bunch of anti-anxiety meds and have had different reactions to them all. I've never had NO reaction, sadly. But it's definitely true that the effects are different, and you can only figure out what works through trial and error.

Lexapro is generally very good for anxiety, maybe try that. I liked it best. Only got off due to pregnancy/bfing issues that will not, hopefully, be a concern for your DD.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Beth,

I am obviously new to anxiety meds in children, but I thought I'd throw this out there, in case it is something that might help. Our developmental pedi had us check DD's 2D6 level (it's a genetic test). The way I understand it, it helps doctors prescribe meds (particularly anxiety/ADHD meds in kids) more accurately because it shows how quickly the meds exit the body, or conversely, how long the meds stay in the body.

For example, if your daughter has a slower than normal processing time, she may be getting too much of a dose of Zoloft, thus causing more side effects. Or, if she is a quick processor, then she might not be getting enough medicine.

Here's a website that I found pretty helpful for basic info, if you are interested in learning more:
    http://www.minnesotamedicine.com/Pas...8/Default.aspx

The "only" catch is that it is often not covered by insurance and costs about $1000. We just had it run on DD and are waiting for the results.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

Christina, I saw your post about that and I find it intriguing. DD has a follow-up with the psychiatrist tomorrow and I will ask. So far, the new med seems to be working better, but it's only been a week.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I don't know a whole lot about them and have only tried two. I've had different side effects with both (for me, hopping in from New Posts). I hope you find something that works well with less crazy side effects! That's so frustrating.

Beth, I will also mention that I have tried a couple different anxiety meds (Paxil, its generic Paroxetine and Buspar) for myself and have had lots of side effects SOMETIMES. The first time I took Paxil, many years ago, I had no major side effects. This last time, I ended up going to the ER because I was having so many, mainly far worse initial symptoms and a major racing heart. Everyone kept telling me that it couldn't be the medicines causing those symptoms, but all I know is that when I took myself off them, the side effects disappeared and I felt much better.

So in short, yep...they can cause all sorts of havoc, even if you've had luck with them in the past. It's the main reason that I wanted DD to have the genetic testing done, because I know that if she has any nasty side effects, she will balk at taking anything else, so I'd rather get medication as right as humanly possible the first time.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

I have been reading up on the testing and I am going to ask for it. I totally think she is a slow metabolizer and that she is on too high of a dose for her. It also explains her unusual reactions to some other meds like Benadryl (which I also have). I have read a couple things referring to steroids as well (although not consistently) and we have a devil of a time with her asthma meds. I am wondering if this is why.

Beth,

If I'm not mistaken, I think DD's extreme sleepiness with Benadryl was one of the red flags to the dev. pedi for running the test as well, so it definitely sounds like a possibility.

I hope you can get some answers....maybe this will help us both.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

I had to push for the test, but she agreed to write the order for it. we're also doing thyroid, vitamin D, iron and several other tests too. Thanks for all the info Christina!

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    I had to push for the test, but she agreed to write the order for it. we're also doing thyroid, vitamin D, iron and several other tests too. Thanks for all the info Christina!
    Oh goodness, you are more than welcome. I feel like I've learned a lot from the info you've shared over the years about your journey with your daughter, so I'm glad that maybe sharing our issues/testing can help someone else.

Good luck and great job on pushing for testing!
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast