Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Good luck with testing and finding the right medication.

I have had great luck with prozac with 2 of my kids. It's been around a long time. Have not witnessed any bad side effects and helpful with anxiety/depression.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

So far so good, with the Prozac. It seems to really be helping and so far no side effects.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Glad the Prozac is working. Each med will have different SE, and it can be pretty individual. Just b/c you have bad SE with one med, doesn't mean another one won't be better (which seems to already be the case for you). I'm sorry the teachers/admin didn't notify you of her behavioral changes sooner Did they know she was on a new med?
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Yes, they knew (but not which med) and I had specifically told them to please let me know ASAP about any behavior changes.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Prozac is what I used twice for my anxiety. It did seem to work fairly well. I did have side effects but they were weight-gain and sexual, so hopefully it will work great for your DD.

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    Yes, they knew (but not which med) and I had specifically told them to please let me know ASAP about any behavior changes.

I would be *very* annoyed too.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

I just wanted to follow up about the 2D6 testing here. She did come back positive one of the 2D6 variants for impaired medication processing. So we are keeping her at her very low dose SSRI right now. It seems to be working for her and the psychiatrist agreed that knowing this, we need to keep her dose low.

Thanks to Indianamom for posting about this!!!

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I totally missed this thread. So sorry you've had troubles, Beth. Glad things seem better now.

I'm also sorry to hear the school didn't communicate with you. That is sooooo FRUSTRATING!
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    I just wanted to follow up about the 2D6 testing here. She did come back positive one of the 2D6 variants for impaired medication processing. So we are keeping her at her very low dose SSRI right now. It seems to be working for her and the psychiatrist agreed that knowing this, we need to keep her dose low.

Thanks to Indianamom for posting about this!!!
    Yay! I'm glad I could help. Hopefully this will be a positive step forward with all medicine dosing. It can't hurt!

I was wondering if you'd gotten the test results back yet. Our DD was not positive, so at least we know that now.

I'm so glad this was helpful.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks for posting and update Beth. I missed the original thread, but it is helpful on our journey. I am finding that DS is starting to exhibit some depression symptoms on his anxiety medications, so we may be switching over to a SSRI. Did your psychiatrist discuss any pros/cons of Prozac vs. Lexapro? They are both in the same class.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast