Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Scalp itch help

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Scalp itch help

My head is SO SO SO itchy. I am like that girl in that commercial who leans over to itch her head. I've been using Head and Shoulders for a couple of months now and washing my hair every day or 2 and if anything it is WORSE (before I was using soap and washing every 4 days or so). What would you suggest?
    Thanks!
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Have you been checked for lice? When I get too itchy, that's always what I think of. DH thinks that I'm nuts. Seriously though, H&S is rough on your hair if you use it a lot. I've used the generic brand of the tar shampoo with some luck.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

Ok I read my last post ages ago and need to try apple cider vinegar. I don't think it is lice since I've had this off and on for years. SIGH
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

weech is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have the same issue, but I stopped using H&S because it just totally wrecked my hair. Let me know if the apple cider vinegar works - maybe that'll be what I try next.
    Rachel
    Momma to my sweet little bubba
    04/2010

Sweetum is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'd say you need to figure out if it's dandruff and if it is, is it powdery or is it flaky. Powdery means dry scalp and flaky means oily scalp. You'll need to proceed with a treatment based on that.

Quote Originally Posted by sunshineandme View Post
    I'd say you need to figure out if it's dandruff and if it is, is it powdery or is it flaky. Powdery means dry scalp and flaky means oily scalp. You'll need to proceed with a treatment based on that.
    I am wondering if it is a fungus (EWWWW).
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

soon2b4 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Have you thought about switching to a dye-free, fragrance-free shampoo? I found a great deal of relief after the dermatologist recommended Free & Clear Shampoo and Conditioner. You can buy it online, though she said some Walgreens or CVS stores carry it.
    Happily married to DH 01/96
    Mom to:
    DD1 01/04
    DD2 09/11

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Ok, gross as it is...I'll tell you that I got one a couple years ago when I went to a reputable walk-in place all the college kids go to. I thought I was going nuts, so I went to the Minute Clinic at Walgreens and they said they don't treat scalps. They said I had to go to a dermatologist. Sure enough... ewwww. They tried pills for a month, some special shampoo, cleaning brushes daily, etc. So yucky. I think going back would be a good idea for me since every so often I'll get an itch and freak out that it may have come back.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I always have an itchy scalp but it isn't dandruff (no flakes, just itch). I'm using Aveeno shampoo for dry scalp and it works really well and isn't strong like the dandruff shampoos.

http://www.amazon.com/Aveeno-Nourish.../dp/B001QT5FNQ
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'll do a cider vinegar rinse every few months (speaking of which, I need to get more vinegar) to cut buildup and alleviate scalp itch. I find that it works just fine.

I've also had great luck with Lush's "Soak & Float" soap, which smells like a campfire, but alleviates dandruff & itch. It's a solid shampoo, so it lasts a good long time if you get one of the tins that Lush sells. (Link: http://www.lushusa.com/shop/products...soak-and-float)

I've also had decent luck with their "Squeaky Green" but I find it's murder on my hair if I use it too often.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast