Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

I have tried to respond to people's questions and express my point of view while being respectful of other people's differing opinions.

I actually own a Britax carseat and a Britax stroller. I do not hate Britax. But I do dislike the turn this conversation has taken so I won't be participating in it anymore.

Edensmum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Anyone know if this stroller has bottom seat support? I really didn't like how slouchy the BJCM was and ds was not comfortable, he held on like he was not feeling secure. I liked the stroller but thought the seat was really not comfy and I sent it back.
    I just researched convertible seats and got the Boulevard 70 at the recommendation of those on the carseat board here. There was reference to them getting a bad rap, but for my needs this seat works great. I love how easy it is to install and after owning a Nautilus I won't go with the cheaper LATCH set up again. I hate that seat.

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

IMO Britax has always been so far ahead of the curve in terms of car seats, the others are still playing catch up. They excel at the two most important features (i) ease of use and (ii) ease of install.

I have a Radian XTSL which I like and the techs at car-seat.org love but it is harder to use and install. The harness is a $%#^! so it definitely has its drawbacks. I got it for the rear facing weight limit and because it is so narrow, but I honestly prefer the Frontier and Roundabout 55 any day because they are so much easier to use on a day to day basis.

Anyway, going back to the OP, I just wish Britax concentrated on doing excellent car seats instead of ripping off other stroller manufacturers. At least give it your own spin for pete's sake!

They'd better leave my beloved MBs alone!
    Last edited by arivecchi; 05-01-2011 at 02:11 PM.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Quote Originally Posted by arivecchi View Post
    They'd better leave my beloved MBs alone!
    Do you think they could make me a swift with an adjustable leg rest?
    AF wife and SAHM of three
    DS(2007.March) DD(2009.July) DS(2012.December)

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Multimama View Post
    Here.

More specifically I believe the relevant Marathon videos can be found here.

Those MA videos are misleading. They were crash tested at OVER the max weight for the MA. At the time, the max FFg weight for the MA in Canada (the videos/testing is Canada) was 48lbs. The test dummies used in those tests were significantly over that weight, IIRC 65lbs (thought is been a while since I've visited this issue). The newer MAs with the 65lb limit have not been tested by TC to my knowledge.

This subject has been debated ad nauseum amongst car seat techs and instructors. The concensus is that the MA is a very safe seat. The TC tests were dealing with "over limits" testing, NOT COMPLIANCE testing (which, as I said, would have been failures at or below 48lbs for that specific seat at that time).

I continue to recommend the MA and Britax seats in general. They are wicked easy to use and generally have fewer "user" issues/operator error issues than most seats. I continued to use my Canadian-spec'd MAs after those videos came out. I *might* have re-thought my FFg MA seat usage in a child near the max weight (I have a number of seats to choose from in my car-seat stable) if I had either a Civic or a Caravan (the only 2 vehicles where failures were reported). My child was well below 48lbs when she outgrew the MA anyway.

I think it is really folly to start bashing Britax, particularly in a STROLLER forum where the car seat techs don't often venture. If you want to start picking apart a higher-priced car seat for some SIGNIFICANT issues, you might want to focus on the RN XTSL, which is having some serious latch loosening issues right now, which have been reported.

If you want to learn about car seats, come on over to the car seat forum here, or check out car-seat.org. The TC videos have been discussed at length in the Canadian forum on car-seat.org, with much of the discussion being led by instructors.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle View Post
    This definitely isn't true because it was released in Australia as the "Strider Plus" in 2009 (judging by upload dates of promotion videos on youtube).

Review of the 4 wheel Australian version - I like the 4 wheels much better, personally!

http://strollersandprams.com/strolle.../review-1.html
    Got back from Australia just two days ago and am catching up (and staying out of the carseat tangent of this thread....) and will add only that I saw soooo many Striders in Oz! Both the 3- and 4-wheel version. One of the most common strollers I spotted while we were there. And the "Kingfisher" colour is TDF!
    Melanie

Mama, PhD, to: Baby Bear (September 2006); The Cub (November 2009); and three babies in heaven
    Favourite human to two Maine Coon cats
    I drive a Bugaboo Cameleon, a Bugaboo Bee+ (2010) and a Mutsy Urban Rider. Ooops, and a Chariot CX2, too! Oh, and a purple Starck Maclaren And oh, wait, I have *another* Bee+ (2011). How did I get six strollers?? Uh-oh, there's a P&T Dash in my living room - who put that there?

Quote Originally Posted by MamaBear View Post
    One of the most common strollers I spotted while we were there. And the "Kingfisher" colour is TDF!
    Please tell us you brought one back!!

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    Those MA videos are misleading. They were crash tested at OVER the max weight for the MA. At the time, the max FFg weight for the MA in Canada (the videos/testing is Canada) was 48lbs. The test dummies used in those tests were significantly over that weight, IIRC 65lbs (thought is been a while since I've visited this issue). The newer MAs with the 65lb limit have not been tested by TC to my knowledge.
    It was confirmed by someone with inside knowledge over at car-seat.org that the MAs featured in the videos were US MAs that were approved to the 65 lbs limit.

This subject has been debated ad nauseum amongst car seat techs and instructors. The concensus is that the MA is a very safe seat. The TC tests were dealing with "over limits" testing, NOT COMPLIANCE testing (which, as I said, would have been failures at or below 48lbs for that specific seat at that time).
    I agree. I did not say they were unsafe. I in fact said that they are considered safe by Britax and by the US (and as you point out Canadian) government and that they meet all safety requirements. I also said the tests in the videos were experimental. I did also say I would not use an old-style MA forward facing after having seen those videos, which is true.

I think it is really folly to start bashing Britax, particularly in a STROLLER forum where the car seat techs don't often venture.
    Once again (and I return only because your comments were directed at me and seem to have misunderstood my point), I am not bashing Britax. I own a Britax carseat, among others. I simply said that it is debatable that their carseats are "ahead of the curve." They make fine carseats. They make fine strollers. Neither their carseats or their strollers wow me and I speak as an owner of both.

If you want to learn about car seats, come on over to the car seat forum here, or check out car-seat.org.
    I am a member of car-seat.org. I thought that would be obvious from my posts. And I know there are people who are well-respected there who would not disagree with the things I have written here. Again, I never said everyone would agree or that my view was not controversial, all I said was that the idea that Britax seats are ahead of the curve is debatable. I believe I have defended that position well. And I think the issues go beyond how much they cost.

It is not that I think they don't have their positive qualities. Obviously I do. I bought one and it was the best carseat for my situation at the time. I'm sure that is true for other people who buy Britax carseats. (Although certainly not everyone, which is what could be unfortunate.) My point (to recap) was only that I am neither wowed by their strollers nor wowed by their carseats. So unlike other posters I do not see a discrepancy between their performance in the world of carseats and their performance in the world of strollers. I only see a discrepancy between their reputation in carseats vs. strollers, which is a very different thing.

Now I really am leaving the thread behind. The last thing I need is another stroller anyway so I really don't need to read about the B-Agile anymore.
    Last edited by Multimama; 05-01-2011 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ashleybama24 View Post
    Please tell us you brought one back!!
    I wish
    Melanie

Mama, PhD, to: Baby Bear (September 2006); The Cub (November 2009); and three babies in heaven
    Favourite human to two Maine Coon cats
    I drive a Bugaboo Cameleon, a Bugaboo Bee+ (2010) and a Mutsy Urban Rider. Ooops, and a Chariot CX2, too! Oh, and a purple Starck Maclaren And oh, wait, I have *another* Bee+ (2011). How did I get six strollers?? Uh-oh, there's a P&T Dash in my living room - who put that there?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8