Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Sudden/rapid weight loss (don't hate me)

So I've noticed, and a few people have commented, that I have lost weight. I haven't done anything to actively try to lose anything.

Once I got a couple of comments and started thinking about it and weighed myself (I don't weigh myself too often, go more by how my clothes fit) I realized I had lost about 10-15lbs maybe over 1-2mos.

I was sick (cold/flu) for about 3 days in Feb and basically didn't eat then. About a month ago I had a stomach bug and didn't eat then for about 1 or 2 days. But once better I was back to eating I think I was back to my normal (not great/not bad) habits.

I haven't worked out in months (maybe 4? UGH!!) so I know some of it is loss of muscle mass. <sigh> But I don't think there was 15lbs of muscle out there.

I have a regular annual dr appt in a couple of weeks. What should I be asking about? Thyroid is at the top of my list.

It's crazy, there is probably something wrong but I am glad this happened right before bathing suit season.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I've had that happen too and I didn't really question it much because I felt well otherwise. Thyroid is what I thought too.

Beth

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

It could be just the two stomach flus or the thyroid. My DH lost about 15 lbs in a span of maybe 6 mo and everyone noticed (except for me, I was in a stupor from being a mom to a newborn), and it was his thyroid.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

You don't have any sx of diabetes, do you?
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

That would be a lot of weight for me to loose without doing much of anything to try to loose it. I would be a little concerned...hopefully it's just related to your recent bouts with the flu.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSally View Post
    You don't have any sx of diabetes, do you?
    Hmm, just googled the symptoms... maybe. Weight loss and fatigue/irritability. But I feel like those could be sooo many things, kwim? I do drink a lot of water just b/c I always have, so that leads to frequent urination! So no changes here. But I will look into it some more.

AshleyAnn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I do that occassionally. I think my thyroid in funky but I tested fine the last time it was checked.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My first thought was diabetes, also to be honest. But it sounds like you feel okay.

I don't hate you but I do wish I had your particular "affliction", lol!

tiapam is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboos View Post
    Weight loss and fatigue/irritability. But I feel like those could be sooo many things, kwim?
    But what is most likely? I think the thyroid because you are a woman of a certain age who is postpartum. I don't care how many years since you last had a baby, I feel like I am permanently postpartum, KWIM?

Since the weight loss is pretty recent, your test results may not show any problem right now. So if you do have the tests and they are "normal", you should def have them redone in 3 months (max) if symptoms persist.
    Ask me how I know!

You should def have a full panel of thyroid tests not just the TSH and you need the antibodies tests, as Graves Disease or Hashimoto's need to be ruled out.

I really feel that thyroid symptoms (which can be mental or emotional in addition to physical) come out first in the areas where each person is most vulnerable. Then move on slowly to other parts of the body and mind! So the onset and progression (if undiagnosed) is experienced very individually.

If people are saying things to you about an unintended weight loss, then it is usually a bad sign. How much do you weigh and how tall are you? How long have you had fatigue and irritability?
    -Pam

DD: 6 YO
    DS: 3 YO

I am 5'5" and according to my scale (which I am not totally sure I trust) this morning I weigh 114. Even if that's not a real number, a few months ago on this scale I was weighing in the 125-130 range. I am going to the gym this morning and will weigh myself there, too and adjust for bfast/clothes.

Fatigue/irritability has been ongoing for... oh about 5-6 years, since DD2 arrived. I really feel like I never "caught up" after her. Of course I'm not going to bed early, get woken frequently by DH and sometimes DDs, and have a chocolate/junk habit. But I also eat a lot of healthy stuff and once our CSA starts up will be piling on the fresh veggies.

I am thinking thyroid or maybe depression, or a combo. There is a lot that has gone on in my life in the past 5yrs that I don't really feel like I've recovered from. I was on meds for a while but didn't feel like they helped. I would have to try a new med.

But I really wanted to try going "natural" first, to see if I could get symptoms under control. I am going to the gym today and will work to get back into that habit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast