♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default GMD prefold diapers - Large or XL?

DS is 16 mos and has been in Green Mountain Diapers (GMD) red-edge (medium) prefolds since 5 mos of age. DS is 33" and 23 lbs.he is really tall but has a skinny waist. The red edge dipes still fit him but are kind of on the small side. THe main issue though is that now i noticed i have to change his diaper every 1.5 hrs vs every 3 hrs...he is really soaking the dipes and i've started getting leaks for the first time ever. So, i was wondering if now is the time to go to next size up? I noticed there are two larger sizes, a size called Large (brown edge) and a XL Toddler size (green edge). Anybody have any experience with either of these sizes? The XL looks HUGE, tho i'm wondering if it would be better to go straight to that size for the absorbency. It says 28-40 lbs, so i worry if it may be too big. Plus, i wouldn't know what covers to use for XL size. it seems L size would correspond nicely to Bummis size L covers (27-35 lbs range)...

I think the brown-edge are the way to go. The green ones are enormous. The brown are a great size. DS PT'ed out of the brown size. (But I know how big the green ones are because we bought one so we would know when he was ready to move up to the next size. This can be really useful to do actually.)

ETA: If the diapers fit, but absorbency is the issue, you could also consider doublers. But one thing I liked about the brown edge is that they are long so you can fold down some in the front and that acts kind of like a doubler, at least for boys.
    Last edited by Multimama; 05-10-2011 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Multimama View Post
    I think the brown-edge are the way to go. The green ones are enormous. The brown are a great size. DS PT'ed out of the brown size. (But I know how big the green ones are because we bought one so we would know when he was ready to move up to the next size. This can be really useful to do actually.)

ETA: If the diapers fit, but absorbency is the issue, you could also consider doublers. But one thing I liked about the brown edge is that they are long so you can fold down some in the front and that acts kind of like a doubler, at least for boys.
    thank you for your response, this is so helpful. and that part about folding the front part over...that is genius, i will have to try that. i may also order a single dipe or two of the XL size just to see/try it out.

anyway, it sounds like the brown edge (L) is the way to go. i almost thought i could make it to PTing with just the red edge (since it says they go up to 30 lbs) so i think the brown size should be big enough.

alirebco is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Definitely brown. DS went from reds to browns and the browns were still really big on him. I can't remember how big he was at that point then. The XL is really for huge kids.
    A, mom to Ethan age 5.5 and L age 2

thanks for the reply. i just ordered a dozen of the brown edge, and a few Bummis covers in the large size. i also ordered one XL size diaper, just for comparison and to have as a changing pad or something when we're out.

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    thanks for the reply. i just ordered a dozen of the brown edge, and a few Bummis covers in the large size. i also ordered one XL size diaper, just for comparison and to have as a changing pad or something when we're out.
    You only need one dozen in each size for two kids? Wow. I think we had 36 in each size. Granted we didn't have a dryer, but still that's impressive. I hope you love them. They were my favorite size in terms of fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Multimama View Post
    You only need one dozen in each size for two kids? Wow. I think we had 36 in each size. Granted we didn't have a dryer, but still that's impressive. I hope you love them. They were my favorite size in terms of fit.
    well we have 2 dozen in each size for the newborn (orange) and small (yellow). then when DS got to the red edge 1 dozen was enough (he only poops 1 or 2x a day). we do dipe laundry every other day and he only uses 5-6 diapers a day, so it works out. DD is now in yellow edge so they use different sizes. Eventually in a few months i planned on buying an extra dozen of the red edge to use for DD, but now that DS will soon move to the brown edge i'll just have her use DS's red edge diapers.

in the newborn stages though, both times i think we got away with just 2 dozen orange bc we used all the yellow edged ones as extras (to lay baby on, to cover baby's diaper area while he/she was peeing on changing table, etc).
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 05-10-2011 at 05:04 PM.