Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Do you work out while sick?

I started running a few weeks ago and then came down with a nasty cold this week and just couldn't bring myself to do it. Did I cop out? Do you work out/exercise when you're sick?

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I asked the same thing a few months ago. I think if you go back some on the Mommy Fit board you'll find some more replies if you don't get many here. I usually don't have the oomph to do it but if I have a class scheduled then I go to that unless I am miserably sick. The one day I was debating and posted about wound up being pouring down rain and the choice was made for me (I run outside). Rest is usually a good thing though. Go by how you feel. Only you know if you'll be totally sapped and regret it.

Beth

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I asked the same thing a few months ago. I think if you go back some on the Mommy Fit board you'll find some more replies if you don't get many here. I usually don't have the oomph to do it but if I have a class scheduled then I go to that unless I am miserably sick. The one day I was debating and posted about wound up being pouring down rain and the choice was made for me (I run outside). Rest is usually a good thing though. Go by how you feel. Only you know if you'll be totally sapped and regret it.

Beth
    Oh yeah! I forgot that board existed! Thanks. I kind of wish it was raining, then I could really justify it to myself for not pushing myself (I run outside too). Oh well.

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Nope. I rest and get well.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I work out.
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I do not. I rest until I'm better.

I rest because I know my body, and I always get worse when I exert myself.

No, I do not work out. I figure my body is already working to fight off an infection/virus, and rest is what it needs.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It depends on the type of illness. For milder illnesses I sometimes continue to work out but shorten the duration or intensity. If it's a chest cold I don't work out because I struggle to breathe.

This article has some guidelines:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise/AN01097

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I do if I am only a little sick. If I am sick enough to stay home from work, then I am too wick to workout. I do scale back on intensity. I wouldn't do step or kickboxing, but I would lift weights.

Whenever I have stopped working out entirely when sick, I have a REALLY hard time getting back into the groove again. Whereas if I work out at least a little, I seem to not lose the momentum.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast