Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: If you CD...

ahrimie is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by alirebco View Post

Where are you in Michigan? I can try to help you find a cloth diaper store near you or you can try a trial program.
    I'm in Rochester Hills (SE Michigan, a suburb of Detroit). There's a green baby store nearby but I've only glanced at their diaper section. They only have 2 brands or so. Other than that, I've never seen them anywhere else. I really wish I knew someone who's done this before so I could see and observe. If it seems doable and at least not more expensive than regular diapers, I would give it a try. Either way, I have to spend money on diapers.

But those first few weeks where you have to change 12-14 diapers.... how do you do that?!! I've heard of parents doing disposables early on and then cloth. If so, when do you switch to cloth?

DD1 5/08
    DD2 6/11

alirebco is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ahrimie View Post
    I'm in Rochester Hills (SE Michigan, a suburb of Detroit). There's a green baby store nearby but I've only glanced at their diaper section. They only have 2 brands or so. Other than that, I've never seen them anywhere else. I really wish I knew someone who's done this before so I could see and observe. If it seems doable and at least not more expensive than regular diapers, I would give it a try. Either way, I have to spend money on diapers.

But those first few weeks where you have to change 12-14 diapers.... how do you do that?!! I've heard of parents doing disposables early on and then cloth. If so, when do you switch to cloth?
    Looks like this store is close to you and has tons of brands and classes.
    http://www.nopinsrequired.com/

Here's an article about the store:
    http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...le-20100511-ms

This one is a bit further.
    http://www.thelittleseedling.com/sto...-%26-Location/
    A, mom to Ethan age 5.5 and L age 2

Oh and the first few weeks, you have to change diapers regardless if you're using disposables or cloth. The best thing about cloth is that you don't have to run out to the store in the middle of the night because you're out of diapers Also, we had so many blowouts when DS was a baby in disposables that we were constantly doing laundry and soaking in Oxyclean. So the extra laundry was not a big deal - the machine does all the work.

A lot of people like fitteds with covers, especially if you're new to cloth with a newborn. Kissaluvs size 0 with the Thirsties Duos size 1 covers is a common recommendation. We did prefolds with Bummis Super Brites covers (these are really small covers) and also the Thirsties Duos covers. We had a bunch of fitteds too but I sold them all off since they were just ok. I had a pretty big variety.

My one recommendation is to get a cover with gussets around the leg. That way if poo gets out of the diaper (prefold or fitted), it still stays in the cover and doesn't get on the clothes. Thirsties, Bummis, Imse Vimse all have gussets and are great for little babies.

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

To save money (and if you use prefold and cheap covers you can save money on the first kid. It is harder if you use All in Ones, go overboard, etc)

We are getting infant-sized prefolds, using disposables for the first few weeks (when parents will be in town/trying to recover/etc) and move into cloth when baby is big enough for the infant prefolds.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

we decided on cloth because of environmental reasons (each 'sposie lasts 500 years in a landfill, yuck). and chemicals (those absorbent gels are kinda creepy). and the cost, esp since we are planning on having several kidlets.
    now that we are actually CDing our 3 months old I can add that it is a great way to avoid poopsplosions. and the diapers are ridiculously cute.
    It's been much easier than we feared, and the one time we used sposies (long cross country flight) we hated it (poop everywhere, wonderful when the fasten seatbelt light is on).
    we do a load of diapers a day, it's just become part of our routine. once he's older and going thru less in a day, we should be down to an extra load every other day.
    we're doing kissaluv's fitteds + thirsties covers for the newborn stage, but there are TONS of options. feel free to PM me if you want. you can also visit diaperswappers.com forum, but that, while fun, can be a bit overwhelming.
    If you have a place that sell cloth by you I highly recommend going - it really helps to see how the diapers work in person. Also I recommend dirty diaper laundry (http://dirtydiaperlaundry.com/) there are lots of cloth websites, but that one has video reviews, which helps tremendously.

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My main reason was environmental issues, I couldn't live knowing each diaper we threw out would be laying around for 500 years, plus all the resources that went into manufacturing it. When researching about CD I also learned of all the nasty chemicals in disposables, and that became as important. Now that we've done it for almost 3 years, I can add $ savings to the list of reasons. DH was reluctant at first, he's not really very green, so he needed to be convinced money wise. I also considered gDiapers but that was off the table as soon as he saw the price. After putting together a worksheet where I proved to him that we'd save about $2,500 with OS pockets, he had no issues with the initial investment and now recommends CD's to everyone, LOL.

We used OS pockets (bumgenius and happy heiny's) since 4 months old, and we're still using the same ones for nighttime, now that DS is 3 yo. I love them and I think they look super cute.

The transition to CD was not as hard as I thought, I had very little trouble getting our washing routine down, but we did have to switch from organic cotton AIO's to fleece lined pockets, due to skin issues (DS had VERY sensitive skin, the fleece keeps the moisture away since even a few minutes with a wet cotton diaper would give him a rash). I continued to use disposables (7th Gen, etc) for travel and very long outings, but other than that we almost exclusively CD'd.

ETA: I highly recommend doing a trial program like the one at Jillian's Drawers before committing to one kind of diaper. Also, although the OS pockets fit babies from around 2 months old to 2-3 yo, they don't work well on very small newborns (I think the consensus there is fitted diaper + cover or prefold + cover).
    Last edited by edurnemk; 05-18-2011 at 12:54 AM.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

ahrimie is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Wow you mamas have given me a TON of good info. I asked DH about it and he asked, "how are we going to do all of that laundry??". However, DH NEVER does laundry lol. He can barely put back the clothes that I wash and fold for him! After I pointed that out, he just laughed and said whatever I want to do

So if you CD, do you also use cloth/reusable wipes?

DD1 5/08
    DD2 6/11

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

So if you CD, do you also use cloth/reusable wipes?
    i didn't at first, but then when i had my DD i bought some (after being convinced by the mamas on here ). i love them. my favorites are sherpa & velour kind. flannel is nice and has cute prints but it totally pills once it's washed and isnt' as soft imo. i use LuSa organics wipes juice (just dilute some in a spray bottle) and spray that on the wipe after moistening wipe with warm water from thermos pump pot.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

What were your primary reasons for doing so? Is it just environmental or skin issues for DC? Are there other factors? I thought about doing it the first time around but got too overwhelmed. I'm reading through the CD 101 sticky now as I think about our 2nd.

If you want to sway me either way, that's great too!
    I had kind of considered it, but wasn't enthused. When my oldest was born (7 plus years ago) he was sensitive to all commercial wipes...newborn, sensitive, unscented, you name it. So we invested in some cloth wipes, and loved them. It is so much less messy IMO, because they are grippier and one can do the job of multiple disposable wipes. (I'm another velour/sherpa fan!) Since we were already using cloth wipes, it got me over that initial fear of having poop in the washer and I realized it was soooo not a big deal. I can't believe I was ever worried about it being gross . When he was about 3 weeks old DH really is the one who got interested in transitioning to CDs. We decided to give it a go with a few inexpensive options (some prefolds, a few covers, maybe one or two inexpensive fitteds). Back then there were also far fewer options We ended up liking it and built up our stash from there. All 3 kids have been CDd.

DS1 did have some sensitivities to sposies here and there, but wipes were a bigger problem for us.

We had more blowouts with sposies than cloth, by far!

I am much crunchier now than I was back then LOL, and I do enjoy the environmental aspects. We've saved money with cloth, even though I've had to add to our stash each time (elastic would wear out sometimes, the covers I liked with DS1 didn't work well for DD and the ones I liked with her were the opposite of what I liked with DS1).

It has been a really good experience over the last 7 years.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

We use cloth wipes - most are baby washcloths from Target - Circo or Gerber. I also have some I bought specifically but they all work fine. The cloth wipes get the poop off much better than the disposable ones - I had to use 5 to get DS's butt clean! Plus you can then throw the whole thing - diaper and wipes into the pail.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast