Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BillK View Post
    The town is pretty hectic when the ferry is unloading but for us it always seemed to thin out quickly and quiet down nicely. Madaket and 'Sconset are the epitomy of quiet imo...
    I have only been for day trips, too - so maybe that is why it seems that way to me!
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

The town is pretty hectic when the ferry is unloading but for us it always seemed to thin out quickly and quiet down nicely. Madaket and 'Sconset are the epitomy of quiet imo...

There will be a lot of people in town around dinner too but I've never found it crowded. The line in the evening for The Juice Bar is a whole other story....but totally worth it!!!
    Mommy to my 2 sandy boys

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**If you live in the New England area and want to join the local Yahoo group for BBBers, please PM me for more info!**

kdeunc is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by amldaley View Post
    Ocracoke Island and the Cape Hatteras National Seashore...hands down.
    Especially the south end of Hatteras Island, just before you get to the ferry to Ocracoke.
    Kelly

DS 1 12-02
    DS 2 12-04
    DD 07-08

Quote Originally Posted by kdeunc View Post
    Especially the south end of Hatteras Island, just before you get to the ferry to Ocracoke.
    That was *precisely* where I was thinking!
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

If I ever win the lottery - I'll be moving to Nantucket!
    Me too!

We stay just in town but on one of the quieter streets (side st off of Fair St) so it is both convenient and quiet in spite of being close to the action. Pre-kids we always went without the car. Now we take the car but that is mostly due to the fact that it makes bringing gear over easier since it's all just packed in the car. Taxis used to be extremely reasonable not sure that is still the case & I wouldn't even it take one to the bigger supermarket outside town. Also we would rent bikes to get around too!

For other posters besides the original poster Nantucket is really, really nice off season. We've got in May and also many times for Thanksgiving. That's a nice week to go because it's fairly quiet but then picks up at the end of the week when they sing christmas carols in the center of town.

We considered buying a house there. A friend is a realtor and at that time you could set it up where the rent paid the mortgage though I'm sure times have changed and that is more of an iffy-er option now.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I love the Traverse City area. I think that Glen Arbor is fabulous. The beach doesn't have services except a bathroom but it's an easy drive into a cute town.

Beth

Quote Originally Posted by jacksmomtobe View Post

For other posters besides the original poster Nantucket is really, really nice off season. We've got in May and also many times for Thanksgiving. That's a nice week to go because it's fairly quiet but then picks up at the end of the week when they sing christmas carols in the center of town.

Before Ds1 was in school, our favorite week was the week after Labor Day. Daffodil weekend at the end of April is beautiful and the Wine festival in May are great times too.

I've always wanted to go for the Christmas Stroll weekend!!!
    Mommy to my 2 sandy boys

**If you live in the New England area and want to join the local Yahoo group for BBBers, please PM me for more info!**

Quote Originally Posted by billysmommy View Post
    The Beachside is one of the only actual hotels on the island and is the most affordable.

Wow, that's one of the most affordable places on the island?! I just took a look at the rates, and my eyes are hurting! I can't believe a long weekend stay would cost me about $1000! I really want to check out Nantucket, but don't think I can swallow that cost. Do the rates get significantly cheaper in the fall (after mid October)?
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Quote Originally Posted by wencit View Post

Wow, that's one of the most affordable places on the island?! I just took a look at the rates, and my eyes are hurting! I can't believe a long weekend stay would cost me about $1000! I really want to check out Nantucket, but don't think I can swallow that cost. Do the rates get significantly cheaper in the fall (after mid October)?

It's the most affordable of the "hotels". The others are more exclusive resorts. There are some great B&B's for $150-$250/night. But the closer you are to town or the beaches the more expensive they will be. It can also sometimes be cheaper to rent a house or condo for the time you will be there. It used to be only weekly rentals but the last 2 years some would rent for 3 nights. Also for renting, the price drops significantly after Labor Day. We did the Tues-Sun after Labor Day for one year for $750 ~ it was a 3 bedroom and we split it with another couple.
    Last edited by billysmommy; 05-17-2011 at 04:21 PM.
    Mommy to my 2 sandy boys

Hilton Head, stay at the Holiday Inn Beachfront. You'll love it. Walk over to the restaurants/shops or sit by the pool that is right ON the beach (only for hotel guests) and they have a tiki bar.

Tybee Island, GA. Short drive from Savannah. My Grandmother lived there and I grew up going. It has grown a bit, but is still VERY secluded and nothing like Myrtle Beach.

If you did go to the Myrtle Beach area, bypass the strand and stay in Pawleys Island. Very very nice. Had most of the beach to ourselves, yet close to restaurants & shops.
    Bodyboarding, music loving, clothing upcycler Mom to adult kid1, elementary kid2

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast