barkley1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Another newbie needs help, LOL

For my first baby, i had a ring sling and a mei tai (both homemade). I ordered the ring sling from a custom website that was well-known (can't remember now). I never really could do well w/ it, though - I read all the instructions, watched YouTube, etc. but my baby just seemed to be "swallowed" up by the sling - and it wasn't too big for me, either. I was pretty afraid his breathing would be blocked, or he was fussy in it, so I went to the mei tai.

It worked better, but I found that I had to hold his floppy head a lot, so really it was defeating the purpose. It did make my life easier in some respects, but I found that all the tying, etc...took a lot of time and I usually needed some help.

fwd to today - DS will be 26 months old when DD gets here in September. I really need to figure out a way to wear DD so I can deal w/ a very UN-independent toddler all day. I'm concerned about her hip placement, so need advice on 1. what suits a newborn best 2. what's the EASIEST?

I've seen several that look good - Baby K'tan, Beco Gemini - but do I need more than one for as the baby gets a little older - seems like a SSC w/ buckle would be good then, but not for a newborn?? I have no idea ~ hlep!

PS I know there's a babywearer website, but it's just too much information/too complicate for me over there!

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The Beco Gemini can be used from birth on up.

It's got a head-support flap similar to the Baby Bjorn (profile is similar to the Bjorn, but it's more versatile once baby gets larger - it's got back & hip carry options!) and the ability to cinch up the carrier body to allow you to carry a smaller baby on your front (facing inwards, legs froggy style) hands-free.

Another option for the itty-bitty phase is a wrap carrier like a Moby (stretchy) or GypsyMama/Wrapsody (woven), but there's a learning curve to getting it right. I love my wrap (EllaRoo, which is another woven wrap brand) but it makes my DH uncomfortable seeing me wear the baby in it.

You could also stay with the Beco brand and get the Butterfly, which has a built-in infant insert & does front and back carries as well. I didn't choose the Butterfly myself (read about it and thought it sounded better for more petite mamas ... I can use a lot of terms to describe myself, but petite is not one of them!) and went with the EllaRoo and an ErgoBaby for different phases of development.

Hope this helps a little!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

barkley1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Oh, i guess I should mention I'm in the petite category - 5'3", 105 lb before baby.

does "froggy style" mean with baby's legs popping out the legholes in the carrier, or tucked up in there w/ knees bent?

ABO Mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Froggy means with the baby's legs tucked in...a very natural position for babies!

I love wraps for new babies! The stretchy moby style is wonderful for newborns (but only works best for the first 15lbs or so, after that it is not supportive enough). If where you live is still hot in Sept, I would not use a moby, and get a wrapsody instead. Woven wraps can be used from birth through toddlerhood, while stretchy wraps can not.

I found the pikkolo the easiest for me when dd was tiny. The sunshade can be used as a prop for the head. It buckles so it is super easy to get on. And I found the straps crossing in the back really comfortable.

Catherine

lowrioh is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I use a wrap with DD2 and I love it especially for the newborn stage. I was completely intimidated by the wrap when I had DD1 and I refused to even try it out. I have a woven wrap (Hug-a-bub) and I prefer it to the stretchy ones.

There is a learning curve but I can put it on as quickly as I can get my ergo on now that I know what I'm doing.

I have an infant insert for my Ergo but I wasn't a fan.

My favorites with newborns were pouches & my Moby. I started using a Mei Tai pretty early on too - I found that a small body MT worked better for newborns, as it would hug around the newborn better so their head was more supported. If you don't want something that ties though, I'd look at the SSCs (which I haven't used and don't know much about, sorry!).
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

I also could never get a ring sling to work for me either. After using a dozen or so carriers I now believe you can't find a carrier that will be as comfortable and safe to use for a newborn and toddler.

I love my MOBY wrap for newborns. I have used it with 2 kids and adore it. Its inexpensive too which is good since I tend to only use it for the first 6 months or so. After 6 months I usually move on to a MT around the house and SSC while we are out.
    AF wife and SAHM of three
    DS(2007.March) DD(2009.July) DS(2012.December)