Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 2010 vs. 2011 Bob Revolution?

I ordered a 2010 Bob Revolution recently, and it arrived today. I like it really well, but now I'm wondering what the actual differences are in the 2010 and the 2011 models.

One of the things bothering me about the 2010 model I have is that there is really no way of attaching a snack tray. I saw somewhere that the infant seat adapter (which I don't need and is rather expensive) has a snack tray, but it looks awkward in the photos I saw. From what I understand, the new Bob has a much easier setup for the snack tray.

Other than that, what are the differences between the two models? I may possibly consider returning this one and ordering the new model, but I'm on the fence.

One more question, does anyone have the Bob as their only stroller? We don't use a stroller very often, and I'm debating on selling my 2011 BJCM and becoming a one stroller family.

Besides the snack tray difference I think the 2011 Bobs are a little wider?

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I use the bob as our one an only. We had a mac triumph for a short time, but DS would never ride in it, so I sold it.

I had the infant adapter and we never liked the snack tray. It's useless if your kid is strapped in anyway, because it's hard to reach if you're using a harness on them.

Our stroller use is primarily 2 + mile walks to the store for exercise.
    L, mommy to my one and only, super-sweet boy, G 6/08

I'm pro-big bird, and I vote.

I had two singles (2010 and 2011) at the same time. I ended up keeping the 2011 but honestly it's a wash which is better. For each improvement, I feel like you lose something.

Harnesses are essentially the same, except for lumber support on new, and the cover pads. (2010 harness is different than 2009 - I have a 2009 dualie) The new covers are nicer and simpler - I hated that old soft black style with the fold-back flap, never understood it. OTOH my kids never tried to remove those, whereas they have no end of fun ripping off the new ones.

Handle bar on new is thinner - I don't like this but of course this comes down to personal preference. New foam might be tougher and less prone to tear.

New has buckle to close it - can be added to the old for a few bucks at JoAnns. Also latch is not automatic and still requires you bend over and fiddle so personally I think it's just as easy not to latch it and just hold it together and throw it in the car (have been doing this with my dualie so long it is a snap with the single) When you don't latch it, then the stroller opens up as you remove it from the car. Buckle is on wrist strap, which would flip stroller if you actually used it and fell (have never actually seen someone use the strap on a Bob so probably a moot point)

New has more shaped/supportive padding to the seat - I don't know how big a deal this really is. For the bum, it might be more comfy - for the back it actually looks like it has the potential to be lumpy and annoying IMO. The old style never bothered my kids so I don't know how big a deal this is. However when the new is laid all the way back, I feel like there is less of a gully between the bum and the back if that makes sense, and that's nice.

Seatback height seems to be the same. I have seen people argue the new has more head room and I have seen people argue it has less - I was unable to tell a difference. (I have 2 3yos I was using as test subjects here - one is big for her age, the other is small. Both were hard to keep still)

Basket on new is more accessible - hangs lower, with flared sides. I think they're about the same size, but it's easier to get in the new, if a kid is sitting in it - with the old it's easy enough if no kid is in so you can push up on the seat (Note - basket on old dualie was easier to get in to than old single, if a kid was in it - not sure if you are looking at single or double?)

Wheelbase of new is slightly wider, so possibly less prone to tipping

Sun shade comes down same amount, but has a ratchety feel in the new model.

Means of pulling back bulk of shade is the same on both (used to use yellow cords, changed in 2010)

Peekaboo window bigger on new, and pocket to stash cover in vs velcro - I actually found the velcro easier as you can do it on the run one handed, not have to stop and neatly roll and stuff

New has means of attaching that flappy part in back up for air flow or so you can see your kid esp. if it is reclined - I like this

Recline on new is more annoying than the old. Old had 2 buckles for fast up and down, and you could also adjust for in between. The problem is the adjust was so annoying no one did it so people think it didn't have this feature. On new, no buckles, so you have to slide each side to recline. Annoying. Can't be done one handed. Amount they recline is the same. I have seen reviews say the new doesn't recline as far, but I was using my 5 week old to test - with a jj cole body support to snuggle him in, he looked about the same in both (I find it kind of funny to note that they took away two buckles and added one and jacked the price a lot)

New footrest for kid IMO is questionable - I think the ledge was nice to press the feet against, more comfy for the kid, more sturdy. Time will tell. (New dualie still has some ledge, i think)

Old has universal car seat adapter/tray but reviews often say tray is too high to be useful. I never got the tray, i think it just makes in and out harder - we just used snack traps tied to the frame and they could put drinks in the pockets. New has seperate tray and specialized adapters (more $$$, less universal appeal when reselling)

Colors/fabrics obviously different.

Ummm... I think that's it. IMO there isn't a clear winner so I say go with what is cheaper and which you like the looks of more.

I am keeping the new one because of the wider wheel base (I walk on some pretty crazy surfaces) and because I have an idea in mind to ghetto rig an improved recline which I couldn't do on the older one without altering the original design. The recline is seriously lame IMO. I'm also banking on greater resale value for new as by the time I sell adapters for the old may be impossible to find, and the option to add a car seat is appealing. I have never used a car seat with it, though, and have no plans to.

That's my 2 cents. I know a lot of people are ga-ga over the new version but I don't think it's a clear winner. If they really wanted to IMPROVE it I'd like to see it fit taller kids and have an improved universal tray/adapter. I really hate how Bob nickle and dimes you for accessories.

eta - my stroller stash now consists of a bob dualie, a bob single, and a graco quattro single. I use the quattro for when I will have a ton of stuff to haul - like the museum in the winter, coats and stuff. I use the bob for pretty much everything else. I think the more accessible basket on the single will make it more friendly as an only stroller in most cases. I have never had a problem with my dualie as far as size except in Claire's Boutique (which I am too old for) and the monkey house at the zoo (which smells) so I can't see an issue with the single.

eta again - I got the 2011 in the LL Bean sale, otherwise sticking with the old would have been a no brainer. The old was 372 on amazon, the new was like 368 from LL Bean, since I had to pay tax.

This is most likely going to be my last stroller ever so I was a little obsessive over making sure I picked THE BEST ONE. But in the end I don't think it's a clear choice. I went with what I hope will resell.
    Last edited by RunnerDuck; 05-19-2011 at 03:08 PM.

Thanks for the replies! RunnerDuck, that is a great comparison, and exactly what I was looking for.

My main annoyance with the 2010 is that you have to buy a car seat adapter in order to use a snack tray. From what I understand, even with the 2011 model you still have to buy a car seat adapter in order to use the snack tray. What a lame design for such a nice stroller, especially since I have absolutely no need to put a car seat in it. I like how my BJCM has the feature to just easily change out a snack tray or bumper bar.

I got the 2010 for $291 during an Amazon lightning deal, so I don't guess the changes that I like are really worth an extra $140-$150.

Now, I'm just trying to figure out what all of these velcro things and straps are supposed to be for up on the hood section. The instruction manual isn't too clear about that.

For $291, it's a no brainer.

When I was researching these I found some site where someone got a 2010 for around that much in Feb and asked if the 2011 was that much better and someone said "Oh they are SO much better!" and she returned it and said "Thank you SO much, it's good to know the new one is so much better, I am returning the 2010." I thought, you are an idiot. Sorry, but for the price difference, none of the new features are worth it. The changes are largely cosmetic.

The valcro straps over the hood section are supposed to pull up some of the flappiness if you have a taller kid. I think it's a pointless feature, though. It looks neater when it's pushed back, but with the velcro ones, the second your kid grabs the sun shade and pulls it down (mine are forever pulling them up and down) it will loosen up, and with the old style which was a yellow drawstring it DID stay in place but you couldn 't put the sun shade down like that. Pointless. There's a lot about the Bob that screams "A man designed this who has never pushed a kid." For example the harness drives me crazy. It's supposed to be easy to adjust I guess but it doesn't stay in place. I prefer slots or clips or something to keep the shoulder height consistant.

Just my opinion.

Anyway if you paid $291 - no brainer. Keep the old one. Use a snack trap for snacks. Sell it for $250 in a few years and be happy.

As far as I can tell the snack tray works on its own with the new Bobs - but I will most likely never buy one. It makes getting in and out harder and if you're out for exercise stuff is going to fall off anyway. We never had one with our dualie and we never missed it.
    Last edited by RunnerDuck; 05-19-2011 at 05:03 PM.

This is one of the best side-by-side comparisons I've ever read!!! If there were a BOB Revolution forum, this should be a sticky!

Quote Originally Posted by RunnerDuck View Post
    I had two singles (2010 and 2011) at the same time. I ended up keeping the 2011 but honestly it's a wash which is better. For each improvement, I feel like you lose something.

Harnesses are essentially the same, except for lumber support on new, and the cover pads. (2010 harness is different than 2009 - I have a 2009 dualie) The new covers are nicer and simpler - I hated that old soft black style with the fold-back flap, never understood it. OTOH my kids never tried to remove those, whereas they have no end of fun ripping off the new ones.

Handle bar on new is thinner - I don't like this but of course this comes down to personal preference. New foam might be tougher and less prone to tear.

New has buckle to close it - can be added to the old for a few bucks at JoAnns. Also latch is not automatic and still requires you bend over and fiddle so personally I think it's just as easy not to latch it and just hold it together and throw it in the car (have been doing this with my dualie so long it is a snap with the single) When you don't latch it, then the stroller opens up as you remove it from the car. Buckle is on wrist strap, which would flip stroller if you actually used it and fell (have never actually seen someone use the strap on a Bob so probably a moot point)

New has more shaped/supportive padding to the seat - I don't know how big a deal this really is. For the bum, it might be more comfy - for the back it actually looks like it has the potential to be lumpy and annoying IMO. The old style never bothered my kids so I don't know how big a deal this is. However when the new is laid all the way back, I feel like there is less of a gully between the bum and the back if that makes sense, and that's nice.

Seatback height seems to be the same. I have seen people argue the new has more head room and I have seen people argue it has less - I was unable to tell a difference. (I have 2 3yos I was using as test subjects here - one is big for her age, the other is small. Both were hard to keep still)

Basket on new is more accessible - hangs lower, with flared sides. I think they're about the same size, but it's easier to get in the new, if a kid is sitting in it - with the old it's easy enough if no kid is in so you can push up on the seat (Note - basket on old dualie was easier to get in to than old single, if a kid was in it - not sure if you are looking at single or double?)

Wheelbase of new is slightly wider, so possibly less prone to tipping

Sun shade comes down same amount, but has a ratchety feel in the new model.

Means of pulling back bulk of shade is the same on both (used to use yellow cords, changed in 2010)

Peekaboo window bigger on new, and pocket to stash cover in vs velcro - I actually found the velcro easier as you can do it on the run one handed, not have to stop and neatly roll and stuff

New has means of attaching that flappy part in back up for air flow or so you can see your kid esp. if it is reclined - I like this

Recline on new is more annoying than the old. Old had 2 buckles for fast up and down, and you could also adjust for in between. The problem is the adjust was so annoying no one did it so people think it didn't have this feature. On new, no buckles, so you have to slide each side to recline. Annoying. Can't be done one handed. Amount they recline is the same. I have seen reviews say the new doesn't recline as far, but I was using my 5 week old to test - with a jj cole body support to snuggle him in, he looked about the same in both (I find it kind of funny to note that they took away two buckles and added one and jacked the price a lot)

New footrest for kid IMO is questionable - I think the ledge was nice to press the feet against, more comfy for the kid, more sturdy. Time will tell. (New dualie still has some ledge, i think)

Old has universal car seat adapter/tray but reviews often say tray is too high to be useful. I never got the tray, i think it just makes in and out harder - we just used snack traps tied to the frame and they could put drinks in the pockets. New has seperate tray and specialized adapters (more $$$, less universal appeal when reselling)

Colors/fabrics obviously different.

Ummm... I think that's it. IMO there isn't a clear winner so I say go with what is cheaper and which you like the looks of more.

I am keeping the new one because of the wider wheel base (I walk on some pretty crazy surfaces) and because I have an idea in mind to ghetto rig an improved recline which I couldn't do on the older one without altering the original design. The recline is seriously lame IMO. I'm also banking on greater resale value for new as by the time I sell adapters for the old may be impossible to find, and the option to add a car seat is appealing. I have never used a car seat with it, though, and have no plans to.

That's my 2 cents. I know a lot of people are ga-ga over the new version but I don't think it's a clear winner. If they really wanted to IMPROVE it I'd like to see it fit taller kids and have an improved universal tray/adapter. I really hate how Bob nickle and dimes you for accessories.

eta - my stroller stash now consists of a bob dualie, a bob single, and a graco quattro single. I use the quattro for when I will have a ton of stuff to haul - like the museum in the winter, coats and stuff. I use the bob for pretty much everything else. I think the more accessible basket on the single will make it more friendly as an only stroller in most cases. I have never had a problem with my dualie as far as size except in Claire's Boutique (which I am too old for) and the monkey house at the zoo (which smells) so I can't see an issue with the single.

eta again - I got the 2011 in the LL Bean sale, otherwise sticking with the old would have been a no brainer. The old was 372 on amazon, the new was like 368 from LL Bean, since I had to pay tax.

This is most likely going to be my last stroller ever so I was a little obsessive over making sure I picked THE BEST ONE. But in the end I don't think it's a clear choice. I went with what I hope will resell.
    Heather
    Owner, PeppyParents

I'm one of those people who will lay awake for hours struggling over the most mundane decisions...

Quote Originally Posted by RunnerDuck View Post
    I'm one of those people who will lay awake for hours struggling over the most mundane decisions...
    LOL, me too! I spend hours and hours researching the most mundane purchases. I just noticed that you're from Pittsburgh. Hello (almost) neighbor!

great review runnerduck! STROLLERQUEEN just posted one as well, pretty helpful:
    http://strollerqueenreviews.blogspot...se-review.html

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast