Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Please Read - Important PSA!!!

Ladies and gentlemen, if you have any gas appliances/gas water heater/gas heat....please GET A CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTOR!

(Sorry to yell, but adrenaline is running high today)

Longish story short, I was out of the house all morning running errands, went grocery shopping and then came home with DS. I fed him his lunch (we'd picked up chicken and mashed potatoes from the deli). Since it was already later than normal, I decided I'd eat a little later. Ds finished his lunch and was a little crabby, so I went to take him upstairs for his nap.

On the way upstairs, I stopped to turn on the oven so it could preheat. I was going to let it preheat for 10 minutes (set the timer) and then stick my lunch in. I went upstairs with a headache, changed Ds and laid him in his crib (5 minutes, tops) and on the way back down the stairs kept thinking how bad my head hurt and noticing that I was feeling kind of nauseated and dizzy, but since I get a lot of headaches, I didn't really give it much more thought.

I sat down in the living room (just off the kitchen) and started reading a friend's blog post and all of a sudden this awful noise starting blaring. I had no idea what it was! The dog was going nuts and frankly it just scared me and made my head hurt. Then I realized it was the carbon monoxide detector. I looked over at it and it was reading GAS. Not a good sign.

I ran upstairs, grabbed Ds from his crib, grabbed my purse and got out of the house as fast as I could. I had no idea if we had a major gas leak or what, but I was terrified. I went across the cul de sac and called 911 and reported what had happened and they sent out a fire truck. (Meanwhile the dog was running all around the neighbors' yards!)

The firemen checked out the house and couldn't find anything wrong (but then they turned off the oven when they got inside. They waited with me for the gas company to arrive (it took at least 30 minutes). The gas man tested all our gas appliances except the stove and then had me come in (the firemen left since nothing was apparently wrong) and tested the stove with me. Sure enough, as soon as the oven was turned on, his Co2 detector started going nuts.

So, our oven (which is approximately 18 years old ) has now been officially tagged as unuseable, we've had a minor case of carbon monoxide poisoning and we need a new oven/stove ASAP. But we're alive. I just keep thinking "what if?" I was sleepy anyway, Ds was supposed to be napping....I wasn't feeling good and so easily could have just tried to nap my headache away like I usually do.....It could have ended so tragically. Quite literally, the carbon monoxide detectors saved our lives, as I am fairly sure that we would have died without them...either now or later when I was supposed to be baking 4 dozen cookies for DD's school.

So, please get a Co2 detector TODAY if you don't have one and actually install it. We just recently (in the last couple of months) installed the ones we'd had lying around for years. It really is a true life-saver and every bit as important as your smoke detector. We always think these things won't happen to us...but they do. And if you know a family member or friend who doesn't have a Co2 detector...tell them this story. In our case, it only took a few minutes for the effects to kick in (less than 10) and I can't imagine how horrible it could have been.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

jerigirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Wow! So glad that everyone is ok! Thank you for the reminder!
    jeri
    DS 6/10/06
    DS2 9/1/10

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm glad to hear you are all okay.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

Good advice. This happened to us a couple of years ago, with a furnace we had just had checked for the season. We felt nothing at all, but the detector went off, so we called the fire department. The firefighters told us 10 more minutes and we would have been in real trouble. I honestly believe if not for our detector, we would not be here today, and the firefighters said as much.

I'm so glad your story has a happy ending, and thanks for the reminder on the detectors!

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Phew. So glad you are ok.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

thank goodness you guys are ok!
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

BabyH is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Wow. Glad you all are ok. Great PSA, btw We have CO2 detectors on all the floors of our house! (And always will!)

weech is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

That's really scary - so glad everything is okay!
    Rachel
    Momma to my sweet little bubba
    04/2010

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

glad you're all okay! How frightening!
    L, mommy to my one and only, super-sweet boy, G 6/08

I'm pro-big bird, and I vote.

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I'm so glad everyone is okay.

I think many of our smoke detectors are also carbon monoxide detectors. We don't have gas, but we burn wood in our fireplace insert.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast