Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Default American Airlines Won't Gate Check A Stroller Over 20 lbs.

Just saw this on another forum. It looks like American airlines has changed their stroller policy so you can no longer gate check a stroller weighing more than 20 lbs. See the link for more details. Effective 6/1/11.

I suspect other airlines will follow suit. I guess we'll find out.
    Last edited by Multimama; 05-23-2011 at 03:46 PM.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Just lost my business. We have 3 small DC and 2 adults. We have to have at least one double stroller, and even our BJCMD weighs over 20 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    Just lost my business. We have 3 small DC and 2 adults. We have to have at least one double stroller, and even our BJCMD weighs over 20 lbs.
    I know what you mean! I also think that airlines should allow a free checked bag on domestic flights for children who have a ticket. It's not like my son can pull his own carry-on and expecting 2 adults to transport 3 carry-on pieces to the gate plus a stroller and a carseat is not just mean, but actually could be dangerous because they don't have any hands for their child! (This happened to us on a recent flight as we stupidly tried to avoid checked baggage fees.)

It is interesting though that they say they will put umbrella strollers in the overhead bins. But I don't see how that is going to work since the bins are usually so full with carry-ons these days with the new baggage fees.

I can't even figure out how/where they would enforce this. If you check in online and go straight through security, will the gate staff now be eyeballing people's strollers? I don't think the average person has any idea how much a stroller weighs by looking at it. And we usually have ours in a bag when we ask for the gate tag.

Quote Originally Posted by YouAreTheFocus View Post
    I can't even figure out how/where they would enforce this. If you check in online and go straight through security, will the gate staff now be eyeballing people's strollers? I don't think the average person has any idea how much a stroller weighs by looking at it. And we usually have ours in a bag when we ask for the gate tag.
    They would probably enforce it when you check luggage if you check any. (What airline was the person who recently got hassled about their Bee flying with?) I don't see how they could enforce it at security if it's not a policy for all airlines. But AA could enforce it at the gate by saying that they are actually going to check your stroller through and you can pick it up at baggage claim at your final destination. They can do that from the gate. I think they are probably going after people with specific larger strollers rather than actually go by weight (so doubles, ATs etc.).

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I think you can thank Air Canada for gate-check stroller restrictions. AC came up with a hideous policy about 2 yrs ago, they wouldn't take anything larger than a Volo. Now, they say it is a "recommendation", however, knowing AC's HORRIBLE CS, I bet they just leave larger strollers at the gate.

Small strollers Air Canada strongly recommends the use of small collapsible umbrella type strollers (see examples below).
    A stroller with a collapsed diameter not exceeding 25.5 cm (10 in) and a length not exceeding 92 cm (36 in) is allowed, in addition to your carry-on allowance, regardless of destination. It can be checked at the gate to be delivered to you at the aircraft door at the end of your flight.
    Large strollers
    Because gate facilities in airports are not designed to accommodate them, large, heavy strollers will need to be checked in and will count as one piece of baggage toward the maximum number of checked bags allowed by your fare type. Large strollers are also subject to space limitations, and there is a risk that they cannot be accommodated in the aircraft.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...ant-child.html
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Its not really the airline's responsibility to accomodate massive strollers at the gate. It seems like a fair and reasonable limit to me. At least its still free, right? If you need a double at your destination then check it at the ticket counter. Babywearing is simple and easy to do at airports and has made flying alone with 2 kids rather painless for me (as painless as it can be anyway).
    AF wife and SAHM of three
    DS(2007.March) DD(2009.July) DS(2012.December)

ehf is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Out of curiosity, how does that work with 30 lb 2 year olds?

I loved the Ergo for traveling and never took a stroller, but she's too heavy and wiggly to be comfortable carrying through long airport terminals. We used a Volo on a recent trip, but if we didn't have a reclining stroller at our destination, I would have wanted to bring that. It seems silly to have an umbrella for the layover and a different stroller to check.

Quote Originally Posted by ehf View Post
    Out of curiosity, how does that work with 30 lb 2 year olds?
    Ergos are great. My boba and beco are great too but I buy even nicer carriers that accomodate larger toddlers. My newest additions are the Kanga XT and a toddler kinderpack. Both rock and I can carry my 2 year old or my 38 lb 4 year old.
    AF wife and SAHM of three
    DS(2007.March) DD(2009.July) DS(2012.December)

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast