Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Multimama View Post
    You could carry one and push the other in your single, right? I carry my 30 lbs 2 year old on occasion. (In a Beco, for the poster who asked. The key is to carry them on your back.) I agree though that it is not appropriate to prevent a person traveling with 2 young infants from going to the gate with a double stroller. Using a baby carrier, especially for a back carry, can take practice and the good ones are usually expensive.
    You'd think so... unless you had my twins.

You see... each twin always wants exactly what the other has. so the one being carried will be freaking out that they want to walk or be in the stroller.

the one in the stroller will be having a conniption that they want "up".

i'm the queen of carriers... i LOVE them. i love back carries.

but there's no way i could get through an airport with all sorts of carry-ons, luggage, snacks, and an abusive monkey on my back without having a nervous breakdown.

my twins are very well behaved considering, but they have two speeds. sleep and fast forward, God love 'em!

American Airlines just won't get my business. I don't care for them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by arivecchi View Post
    Even more reasons to fly less. They are simply pushing families to drive more. Not smart.
    Do you think they think it is a bad idea? Sometimes I think airlines think kicking families out of the friendly skies will somehow help them? Not sure how...Maybe they think more business travelers will chose American this way?

Quote Originally Posted by scriptkitten View Post
    You'd think so... unless you had my twins.

You see... each twin always wants exactly what the other has. so the one being carried will be freaking out that they want to walk or be in the stroller.
    I can't imagine! I never really liked American Airlines much either.

I obviously don't have the need for a double or heavy stroller, but American Airlines just lost our business! This is ridiculous! The airline industry is pushing customers away left and right. It is hard enough getting through security by yourself. Then you add kids into the mix and now they have to go through without their stroller?! That is a recipe for pure chaos!

If they are going to enforce this across the board, those airport luggage carts will HAVE to be free. How can they expect parents to lug kids, diaper bags, carry-ons and car seats?!

Just another reason to stick with United, they better not follow suit!
    DD 6/10

Quote Originally Posted by firemama View Post
    I obviously don't have the need for a double or heavy stroller, but American Airlines just lost our business! This is ridiculous! The airline industry is pushing customers away left and right. It is hard enough getting through security by yourself. Then you add kids into the mix and now they have to go through without their stroller?! That is a recipe for pure chaos!

If they are going to enforce this across the board, those airport luggage carts will HAVE to be free. How can they expect parents to lug kids, diaper bags, carry-ons and car seats?!

Just another reason to stick with United, they better not follow suit!
    You don't have to go in without a stroller! There are hundreds of strollers that weigh under 20 lbs. I don't see why everyone on here is acting so entitled. We are allowed to bring extra diaper bags, stroller, car seats all for FREE. I fly a lot so I really don't feel out of touch on this issue. Its not someone else's problem that I have kids. Its my problem. I knew kids came with a lot of stuff and its up to me to figure out a solution. The airlines don't have to accomodate ridiculously large strollers AT THE GATE! They still allow you to check these massive strollers at the ticket counter for FREE if you need them at your destination.

Seriously this is coming from the girl who has always advocated for bringing the larger stroller to the airport. Now all of you ladies who say I just use a triumph are throwing up your hands and saying oh well I'll never fly American again! I don't get it! American Airlines is not anti-family in my experience. I have flown them a handful of times already this year and they have always treated me with respect and at times bent over backwards for me. They entertain my kids, they move people next to me to another seat so my dd can have her own seat, they allow a guest who doesn't fly to walk through security with me, they let me board first, they have even looked the other way when my checked bag was over 50 lbs. Maybe its just the Seattle-Ohare route but I think AA is awesome and United sucks. (southwest and alaska rock too by the way)
    AF wife and SAHM of three
    DS(2007.March) DD(2009.July) DS(2012.December)

Quote Originally Posted by roseyloxs View Post
    American Airlines is not anti-family in my experience. I have flown them a handful of times already this year and they have always treated me with respect and at times bent over backwards for me. They entertain my kids, they move people next to me to another seat so my dd can have her own seat, they allow a guest who doesn't fly to walk through security with me, they let me board first, they have even looked the other way when my checked bag was over 50 lbs. Maybe its just the Seattle-Ohare route but I think AA is awesome and United sucks. (southwest and alaska rock too by the way)
    Wow, that sounds great. For the record, I don't fly AA because I usually can't get a good price on their airline. I've never avoided them because I think they are anti-family. (That honor is reserved for Air France.) I do think that your experience on any airline usually depends on the staff at the airports you fly from, more than the airline themselves. So I could see how you could often have great experience and someone else who flies a different route could have crappy ones repeatedly. That's not really related to the airline themselves although avoiding them may avoid their unpleasant staff too.

I also don't plan to stop flying AA because of their new stroller policy. (Not that I was using them much to begin with, see above.) And like you I don't think it is at all unreasonable as long as they do make accommodations for children with special needs. On the other hand, while I can see what you're saying about it not being their problem if I have kids, if two passangers on their flight can't walk (infant twins) it is inappropriate for them to take away their form of transport (double stroller). They certainly wouldn't do that to an adult passenger with a disability and say "Your traveling companion will have to carry you." They could make a provision in their policy that you would be allowed to bring a double stroller if there was one adult in your party traveling with multiple children. ETA: Or they could have double strollers for rent at the airport that you could then leave at the gate!

If it's true what you've told us about where/how they need to transport the strollers at the gate that sounds dangerous and they are probably instituting this policy out of safety concerns as much as anything. So basically I'm in agreement with you on this, but I am curious about what their motivation was, whether other airlines will follow suit, how this will affect families traveling, whether they will make special accommodations, etc.

I'm just glad the Bumbleride Flyer only weighs 20 lbs. Maybe that will be our "travel stroller" if we ever have another.
    Last edited by Multimama; 05-24-2011 at 03:53 PM.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

There are hundreds of strollers that weigh under 20 lbs. I don't see why everyone on here is acting so entitled.
    Is there any double stroller that weight less than 20? I believe my BDCMD is 23.

I travel solo with the kids about once every 2 months: a 10 month old and a 3.3 year old. Wrangling them both, carseats and carryons through the airport without a double would be very very challenging.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Quote Originally Posted by Multimama View Post
    ETA: Or they could have double strollers for rent at the airport that you could then leave at the gate!
    I think you just had a multi-million dollar idea there! Would you be able to coordinate with the company to have another rental waiting at your arrival gate too?

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    Is there any double stroller that weight less than 20? I believe my BDCMD is 23.

I travel solo with the kids about once every 2 months: a 10 month old and a 3.3 year old. Wrangling them both, carseats and carryons through the airport without a double would be very very challenging.
    Not that I know of. I thought I flew alone a lot but once every 2 months! God bless you. I have car seats at my destination so I don't have to worry about travelling with them. I pack as light as possible so I have only two carry-ons. One that can be slung over the shoulder and one that can be dragged. I then have a single stroller and a baby carrier so I can put one kid on my back. Its not easy and its not graceful but it works.
    AF wife and SAHM of three
    DS(2007.March) DD(2009.July) DS(2012.December)

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Roseyloxs, I think you rock but I must disagree. It is not a matter of being entitled. It is extremely hard for many parents to do without a double for example at the airport. The airlines are in a service business and that is not good service. AA is entitled to make that decision, but I will then take my business elsewhere. The harder you make it for me to fly with your airline, the more incentive I have to fly with another airline or simply drive or take trains if at all possible. I always fly AA and this is seriously disappointing. It is never good business to seemingly discriminate against a set of customers (much like the uproar over forcing bigger passengers to purchase 2 seats). They have been doing this for quite some time so why is it suddenly a problem?
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by roseyloxs View Post
    Everything with twins is harder. I like MM's suggestion of carrying one and pushing the other. Not to mention this is only a policy not a law. AA has the ability to let you use a double if you make a case for it like, "I have twins and I am travelling alone." I find AA to be very accommodating. Did you know you can ask for gate pass for a friend if you are travelling alone with small children? United by the way will not do this even if you are travelling alone while your husband is deployed (and will be very rude about it too).
    I've had United, Southwest and AA refuse AND grant that request. It just depends on who you get at the counter.
    L, mommy to my one and only, super-sweet boy, G 6/08

I'm pro-big bird, and I vote.

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You know, when my DH's elderly grandmother traveled she had people get her from one place to another in the airport--is that a free service or do people have to pay for that?

If it's free, I'd be saying that I needed assistance if I had more than one kid and couldn't gate check the stroller I needed.
    L, mommy to my one and only, super-sweet boy, G 6/08

I'm pro-big bird, and I vote.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast