Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Glad you're waiting. My water broke on its own for my first and I was in labor at 4cm for about 33 hours before having a c-section. He was 5 days past EDD, too. Let her pick her own birthday!
    Kris

[QUOTE=Melanie;3149994]An induction is the first step to an unnecessary c-section./QUOTE]

I had 2 inductions and no c-section. All of my friends who have had inductions-not a single c-section. I didn't offer my opinion before because everyone was saying not to induce, but I would have given how far along you are dialated and how fast your last labor was. Either way you will have your baby soon.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    I'm glad to hear you are waiting! An induction is the first step to an unnecessary c-section.
    I highly disagree with this. DD1 was induced and it was most painful thing ever but I was able to deliver without a c-section. With DD2 I was less than 30 minutes away from having to be induced again because I was 7 hrs. post water breaking naturally and the drs. wanted the baby to be born sooner than later. Thankfully DD2 took some cue because I went from about 4 cm to 7 cm in less than an hour and then after another round of hard contractions was at 9/1/2 cm, and asked if I could push. I pushed for 20 minutes and she was born. BILW was induced and labored for almost 24 hours and delivered naturally. My mom in 1987 at 42 weeks had my sister w/o pain meds after being induced about 6 hrs. after her water had broken and delivered four hours later.

I think there are very gross generalities in regards to birthing esp. in regards to induction, and c-sections. Not everything that happens can happen to everyone, kwim?
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post

I think there are very gross generalities in regards to birthing esp. in regards to induction, and c-sections. Not everything that happens can happen to everyone, kwim?
    Of course. But, if you read through birth information and consider the current rates of inductions and c-sections, you can piece together pretty clearly how interventions often lead to more interventions, possibly a c-section. Just because it doesn't happen to you or people you know doesn't mean it isn't legitimate. Every intervention does increase the risk of a complication or a problem which increases the risk of needing a c-section.

Pitocin, cytotec, and prostaglandin scan stress the baby out. Overstimulating the uterus then brings on other interventions. Stressed out baby can bring on monitoring that can cause the next problem.

laboring with restricted movement makes it harder for baby to move down and into a good position. Some labors that turn into c-sections for baby being too big are likely bad position. The rate of too big is less than 10% but c-sections for that dx happen more than that. Induction doesn't have to mean restricted mov't but IVs, monitoring and such can impact mobility. Thrown in pain meds and it gets reduced more.

laying in bed to labor changes mom's structure and makes it harder for baby to get down and out, especially with pushing. The more interventions that are there, the more chance mom will be in bed vs changing to better birthing positions.

AROM can be a problem because it makes the contractions stronger and harder on baby. Like pitocin, it can make the contractions so they stress baby out. You are on the clock with AROM too. If baby is in a bad psition, taking away the extra cushion makes it harder for them to adjust.

There are just lots of things that can bring on the "cascade of interventions" as Henci Goer calls it in her book, The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth."

Yes, lots of inductions go fine or fine enough. Doesn't mean that they all do or that things might have been even better without. There is a time and place for inductions and I'm glad they are available. I think they are offered up too often though and our c-section rate climbs every year.

BEth

KLD313 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My water broke on it's own but labor wasn't starting so I was given pit, it was awful and I ended up with w c-section. The whole thing sucked. It's good that you're waiting, hope she comes on her own soon!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I think they are offered up too often though
    BEth
    I do agree with that. A friend of mine had an elective induction at 38 weeks with absolutely no indication she needed one. BILW's had one at 39 weeks because they thought the baby was going to be too big (he was just over 8lbs at birth). Mine with DD1 could've been considered elective because my water was broken and it was done at less than 38 weeks, but yeah I hear you. I was tired by the end of my pregnancy too but after having one induction there was no way I was going to have done based on the painful induction with DD1, but I would've told my doctor no way had he wanted to schedule an induction with DD1 prior to the end of 40 weeks.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

chays is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

DD was induced 2 days before her due date. I felt NOTHING until they broke my water (even withthe pit) and i think she was born, perfect, an hour or so later. If your body is ready, there is no reason to delay. I think the C-section talk is for those whose body is NOT showing the proper signs of readiness. In DDs case, her cord was VERY short and was probably why I never went into labor on my own. When I arrived for the induction, I was haveing regular contractions, just coulndn't feel them because they weren't pushing her down. Every pregnancy is different. Listen to your body & your doctor.
    chays

DS1 2003
    DD 2006
    DS2 2009

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4