Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Induce or not? WWYD? update 25, still waiting

I have my 39 wk appt tomorrow. Last week my ob/gyn offered to break my water and I declined. She will probably offer again tomorrow. Not sure if I want her to do this or not. Any insight is appreciated.

Pros: Last week I was 5 cm and 70%, so I should be able to deliver vaginally quickly. Also, DH will be off work anyway and I'll be near the hospital. DS was a fast birth (6.5 hrs from 1st twinge to baby, when I got to the hospital with DS I was 4 cm and 50%) and I have fears of not getting there in time--we live 20 min away, if DH has to come home from work to get me that's another 20 min. DS was 38.5 weeks.

Cons: Not sure I want to mess with Mother Nature, I don't feel bad physically, just mentally done, and I've heard that closer to 40 weeks is better, inductions have a higher rate of c-sections than not (though I'm not opposed to one if necessary).

WWYD?
    Last edited by alexmommy; 05-24-2011 at 09:07 PM.

This is a very personal decision so definitely do what's best for your family, none of us can tell you what that is. That said I would not want the dr. To break my water in hopes of inducing labor because then the clock is running and I would be worried nothing would happen and I would be headed down the road of needing pit or possibly a section. I would wait it out, but DD wasn't born until 40w5d. Good luck, come on out baby!

Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

You know that many people feel strongly on this topic. I'm not rabid on it but personally, I would not have considered an early induction without serious medical need. I did believe that there's a reason for those final a days - things are still happening in baby and your body. I wouldn't do it for the reasons you listed but I certainly wouldn't judge a friend who did!

But are you saying your ob/gyn offered to start the process at your 38 week appt LAST week? That seems awfully early to me, like, problematically early. But I'm not an expert and never had any cause to research the subject.

Often bumbling mother to baby girl "Sprog"
    Born November, 2009

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm a doula.

I wouldn't even think about inducing before 40 weeks without a valid medical reason. And yes, inductions double your chance of having a c-section (quadruple it if you're a first time mom). Also, once your water is broken the contractions get a lot stronger and are a lot more difficult to handle. If baby happens to not be in an ideal position, having your water broken may keep him in that position and make it very hard for him to move into a more ideal position. This would increase your chances of needed an instrumental delivery using the vaccuum or forceps, which often involve an episiotomy as well. And if the vacuum or forceps doesn't work, a c-section would be the next option. Also, breaking your water starts the clock ticking and some providers only allow 12-24 hours for your water to be broken before suggesting a c-section. And you really don't want to end up with a c-section that is not medically necessary when you already have another child at home to take care of plus a newborn. It's major abdominal surgery and the recovery is much harder than a normal vaginal birth. Also, breaking your water increases your risk of getting an infection. And if you end up with a fever during labor, your baby will be taken to the NICU for a sepsis workup which usually includes bloodwork, IV antibiotics, and sometimes even a spinal tap. Not fun for baby and means separation from you which could interfere with breastfeeding. It happened to my best friend and her baby was separated from her for over a day. Getting induced is often the start to a long road of interventions with one leading to another, and I wouldn't do it without a very strong medical reason (not just baby is getting big, fluid is a little low, etc).

Oh, and I'd be running to find another provider if my doctor suggested breaking my water at 38 weeks!!!! Sounds like she's induction happy (and probably c-section happy too)! I'd ask her how many of her clients go into labor on their own. She may have an induction rate of like 90% if this is how she treats all her clients.
    Last edited by essnce629; 05-23-2011 at 05:10 PM.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

I wasn't even as "ready" as you are physically, and we induced at 39 weeks with DS. I did get admitted for an induction though and didn't just break my water in the ob office. I progressed along just fine until the end when I just couldn't deliver his huge head and ended up with a c-section. It wasn't because of the induction though.

It's obviously just a personal choice for you to make. It sounds like you're a good candidate, and there are some minor reasons to want to go ahead and do it (being close to the hospital, being able to set up childcare for another LO, having DH available etc). I doubt you'll make it much longer without going into labor on your own anyway.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

With both my kids, the day that I scheduled an induction was the day I went in labor. I was really hoping not to do it, but I was already 40 weeks or more. Have you asked how long they are willing to let you go without inducing?

If you are inclined to having your OB do ANYTHING, maybe suggest that he/she sweeps your membranes instead of "breaking" them. This might get labor started, but isn't "induction".

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I'm not a fan of nonmedically necessary inductions, just to say that right off. However, if baby is well positioned (I wouldn't attempt it if baby were posterior!), baby is low and you are GBS- then being 5+cm with a 2nd baby doesn't make me that nervous. I personally wouldn't do it but I could see the temptation. If the idea of a fast birth and dh not making it tips the scales in favor then that is understandable.

Beth

I was in a similar situation and ended up having a scheduled induction 3 days before my due date. This was for my first (and only) baby. At my last checkup before the induction I was around 6cm and quite progressed (don't recall all the numbers now) and the baby was already in position to go. At that point my doctor basically put her foot down (obviously I could have refused, you know what I mean) and scheduled the induction. She was concerned that otherwise my husband would end up delivering the baby I went to the hospital on the scheduled day & was 8 cm, she broke my water, and I had the baby less than 2 hrs later. It was really fast & intense (I probably would have had an epi, but didn't have time in this case), so in retrospect I am thankful that I was already at the hospital & had time to settle down beforehand. No complications or intervention necessary.

I was concerned about the risks as well, I wrote down a list of all the things I had read about (pitocin, c-sec, etc) and asked at one of my last appointments. My doctor thought they were all very unlikely in my case b/c of how far along everything was.

Of course it is a very personal decision, and one to make with your doctor & partner alone. Just wanted to share my experience, which was positive.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I had my water broken at 37 w 5 days with DD1 because my labor was stalled at 5/1/2 cm., and I had no idea I could go longer with minimal non painful contractions. Three hours after the nurses broke my water my labor was still stalled. I ended up needing pitocin, which hurt like hell because in less than 3 hrs. I went from stalled at 5/1/2 cm. to 10/1/2 cm. I was able to deliver vaginally and I pushed for just over an hour.

With DD2 I said no pitocin and that I wouldn't go to the hospital until my water broke. Eight hours prior I was at the dr's office and he said I was less than 1 cm dialated and not effaced. My water broke at 38 w 6 d at home, and she was born 9 hours later. I pushed for 20 minutes.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast