Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

This is my experience... I was induced with DS, and I am going to do everything possible not to do it again with DC2. My water technically broke at 41w4d, but it was determined later that it was a small high leak. I labored for 32 hours, with increasing amounts of pictocin and it took me forever to progress beyond 4cm. Finally at 8cm and 28 hours into labor, they determined that my bag of water was still there and broke it. I pushed for over 2 hours, but I think that DS's big head more than anything. But it was a long, painful, hard labor, and I attribute that to the induction. My body wasn't truly ready, and it fought the drugs.
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

jjordan is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I wouldn't induce at 39 weeks unless it was medically necessary.

As for the timing part about getting to the hospital quickly, is there someone closer (geographically) than your dh who can drive you to the hospital and you could meet dh there?

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I would not.

I have had fast-ish labors (6 hours with DS1, 3.5 with DD but most of that I was not sure I was in labor, and about 5 hours with DS2). With DS1 I was 2-3 cm dilated and 80% effaced for weeks before going into labor. With DD I went from no dilation to having a baby in a day. With her, I showed up to the birth center 10 cm dilated with NO idea i was that far along. My water hadn't broken and I still ended up hanging out for about an hour waiting to feel pushy. I had a half hour drive.

I had a homebirth with baby #3 and was a tiny bit worried things could go really quickly (after my experience w/ DD) but in the end felt very comfortable continuing my plans to homebirth. I never had any cervical checks before going into active labor, so I have no idea how dilated I was. One of my BFFs had a baby a few months ago and was 4-5 cm dilated for a few weeks.

I would not opt for an induction unless medically necessary. There are risks, and I just would rather let nature take its course, barring a medical concern arising and making induction preferable.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

logan's mom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I wouldn't do it. My water broke naturally at 38 weeks but my labor didn't start and it was very stressful to know I was "up against the clock." I wanted a natural birth but ended up having to have cytotec and then pitocin to get my labor started. I was able to have a pain med free birth but I know a lot of people have very painful labors when they get pitocin.

Default Update, still pg

So at my appt I asked a bunch of questions (thanks for all your info/stories/perspectives) and decided to wait it out another week. My dr wouldn't have broken my water at the office, I had misunderstood, she would have scheduled me for Pit at the hospital. Baby girl still looks good. My dr offered to schedule an induction again since she thinks I'll have a fast labor and I definitely want to make it to the hospital first (I'm not a homebirth person, though to you mamas who are), but we'll see what happens. She suggested I not leave town though...Stay tuned...

Glad to hear you are waiting! Sending positive thoughts that it all happens naturally! GL!
    DD 6/10

Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by alexmommy View Post
    So at my appt I asked a bunch of questions (thanks for all your info/stories/perspectives) and decided to wait it out another week. My dr wouldn't have broken my water at the office, I had misunderstood, she would have scheduled me for Pit at the hospital. Baby girl still looks good. My dr offered to schedule an induction again since she thinks I'll have a fast labor and I definitely want to make it to the hospital first (I'm not a homebirth person, though to you mamas who are), but we'll see what happens. She suggested I not leave town though...Stay tuned...
    Hurray for happy baby girls! May she be happy inside ... then make a quick trip to the big wide world.
    Good job asking questions. IMHO, that makes all the difference.

Often bumbling mother to baby girl "Sprog"
    Born November, 2009

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm glad to hear you are waiting! An induction is the first step to an unnecessary c-section.

I hope baby decides, on her own, to come soon...but not too soon.
    Boy - 10 years, Girl - 6 Years Old!, (What am I still doing here?! LOL) Dog - Eternal Puppy , Me - Done .

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

glad you decided to wait. with dd#2 i was 4-5 cm dilated for almost 2+ weeks!

fwiw, i was induced with dd#2, but only because of my very hard pregnancy/incompetent cervix and other concerns. that being said, i still only agreed to it after we hit 40 weeks. my ob started asking me as early at 38 weeks (one week after my cerclage was removed).

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think you made a good call. With DS and DD2 I had very fast labors (< 5 hours from first twinge to delivery both times). I was offered induction with DS at 39 weeks because I was 4 cm and I think 80% and I accepted....then changed my mind 3 times. In the end I was just afraid of pitocin. I went 4 days late with DS and I'm glad I waited because delivery was that much easier and quicker and no meds were needed.

With DD2 I actually went a few days early (unexpectedly, since the first 2 were late) so I wasn't offered anything and I was only at 2-3 cm at my prior appt. I went to the hospital a bit earlier than with DS because I was worried about being there in time (with DS had 40 minutes between arrival and delivery!). So I had almost 2 hours between arrival and delivery with DD2. IMO the less time you labor at the hospital the better. We are about 25 minutes from the hospital as well. And this time, on the way to the hospital my contractions seemed to stop and I was worried I would get there and not be in labor anymore. Thankfully they started up again once we arrived.

Baby will be here in the coming days, so try to sit tight and enjoy the last few days on your own!

ETA When my mw offered me induction with DS she specifically said she would not break my water to get things started.... because that starts the delivery countdown clock. With pitocin, if you don't go into active labor you can always turn it off and go home. Once your water breaks baby has to come ready or not!
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast