Thread: Piano and ADHD?

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Piano and ADHD?

I need some advice. DS wants to learn to play piano. DS has ADHD and has a REALLY hard time concentrating/focusing. He is 7. I'm not sure it's even something I should introduce into his world now (not for several years). Anyone with experience having your ADHD child (non-medicated) take piano lessons?
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We haven't BTDT, but we have looked into it. Have you considered finding someone who does music therapy instead of music lessons? I have been told that with traditional music lessons the child is expected to conform to the teacher's methods, but with in music therapy the teacher/therapist adapts to the student's ability and needs.
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Look around in your area for someone who works with children with special needs. We have many in my area. Some will do 15-minute lessons instead of the more traditional 30-45. Some will use methods specially designed for children with special needs.

If he's asking for it, and you're willing, I say go for it!

As for BTDT, DS took lessons when he was 4, with someone who specialized. I took him out after only a few months because he did not want to practice and I did not want to force him and make him end up hating the piano. Every so often he asks if he can take lessons again. He is almost 7 now and will be in second grade next year. I think maybe he's ready to try again. (And yes, DS has ADHD--and Asperger's.)
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"