ckso is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Pros and cons of the Pikkolo?

I'm looking for a carrier that can be used for infant and up.

Is pikkolo a good choice?

Also, not being able to see it in person, is it very bulky compared to an Ergo?

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I *really* love my Pikkolo.

It is less bulky than the Ergo. Fits into a diaper bag easily.
    Can be used from infant up without an insert - I used it from about 4-6 weeks on. Probably my #1 reason for liking it - it really is an infant to toddler carrier.
    Baby can be worn outward facing like a Bjorn when she has head support. Works on front or back. Very adjustable.

for Sandy Hook

I just got mine a couple months ago, DD was around 8 or 9 months old. So I have no experience with a newborn. I tried the Ergo on and did NOT like the straps/buckles. It was very hard to put on and I couldn't see myself putting it on by myself. That would basically make it useless because DH isn't always around to help.

Anyway, we love it (DD included), and it is not bulky. Very secure and easy to use; and compact enough to fit in the diaper bag.
    DD 6/10

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have a pikkolo and an ergo. I haven't used the ergo yet, but I used the pikkolo a ton with my ds, from like 4mos to 8mos or so. During that time it was triple digit weather here in texas. It is not bulky at all..the ergo seems bulkier. I would use the pikkolo with my dd now but she still prefers the sleepy wrap since she is still young (less than 3mos). I did try the pikkolo once with her and it totally worked. I like that u don't need an additional insert for a young baby.

Eta: since u asked about cons, I guess the only downside of the pikkolo is that it is a little less discreet for nursing. With the wrap I can nurse dd and it's pretty discreet. I remember with the pikkolo I nursed ds though i had to be careful not to expose any "side boob" in doing so (this was really only an issue in the summer when I just wore a nursing tank by itself)
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 05-25-2011 at 04:56 PM.

emily is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I prefer the Pikkolo. SIL has an Ergo and I found it harder to adjust than the Pikkolo once worn. DC are around 30lbs and I can still wear them back pain free with the back support belt. (though we use it primarily when travelling these days).
    We used it with DS beginning at about month 2 or 3, I think. He never complained and actually fell asleep almost everytime I wore him...still does at 17mo.

My only complaint with the Pikkolo is that it kinda looks messy when worn, all the straps just hanging. But that's what makes the Pikkolo so great. We went with Pikkolo primarily because DH has nearly 70lbs on me so we needed something that would fit both of us.

Also, resale might be a little tougher since it's not as well known. I keep saying we should sell ours but just not ready to give it up yet.

I think we got ours from Carry Me Away.

BayGirl2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I really like the Pikkolo - I got mine at The Portable Baby, which is nearby me so I could do pickup. I tried the Ergo, Pikkolo, and Beco at the same time and the Pikkolo straps were the most comfortable and least bulky and I think its the easiest to use. It's really a great carrier.

I did end up getting a Beco later, but that was because 1. I like the Beco structure for back carries (DH uses the Pikkolo for back carries, I never really tried to master it) and 2. I got a great deal on the Beco and the patters lured me in. So yeah, the Beco purchase was more about my shopping addiction than any dissatisfaction with the Pikkolo.

If I could trade in/convert everyone's Baby Bjorn for a Pikkolo I would, they are such better carriers for a variety of reasons.
    Amy

DS - June 2009
    DD - September 2011

I wanted to put in my vote for the Pikkolo too! We had our 3rd baby recently and I was looking for a new SSC. I ended up getting the Pikkolo for many of the reasons listed above, but also because it is the best fit on my body type (more hips than belly). I am not using it with the support belt yet (wearing it apron style with my 4 month old is still really comfortable). It is super easy to put on and off, and incredibly easy to adjust. I usually wear her on the front facing me, but my husband does wear her on his front facing out sometimes and that is great with the adjustable bottom too! I have had a million carriers through our 3 kids (Bjorn, babyhawk, gypsy mama, Hotsling, ringsling, Ergo. . . ) and this is by far my favorite. I can't speak to what it feels like with an older/heavier baby or the ease of use for back carries since I have not done that yet, but we started using it right away (froggy legged) with baby #3 and it has been awesome!

I think that we got ours from Quirky Baby and they were totally awesome! So helpful with helping me to decide between the Pikkolo and the Beco Gemini, would recommend them to anyone!

Hope this helps!
    Kati

babyonway is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I love love love my Pikkolo. I got it when DD was maybe 6 or 8 weeks old and she took to it right away. I tried the Moby and Maya Wrap but DD didn't like froggie style so then I tried the Pikkolo. DD was BIG at birth (close to 10 lbs) and now at a year she ways about 24 pounds and I am very comfortable wearing her, but I do wear it with the support belt now so if you get the Pikkolo I strongly recommend getting the support belt as well.

I love my Pikkolo and I strongly recommend it.
    Mama to my sweet lil girl (Summer 2010)

The Pikkolo worked great for us, but only for a short time. Around 18 lbs, DS became too heavy to be comfy in it; we tried the belt you can get for the Pikkolo but it wouldn't stay in the pocket properly. I recently upgraded to the Manduca, which I love but won't rave about here since it's not available in the US.

It does fit better than the Ergo IMO, but if you want something without the padded waist, you might want to look into mei tais and save yourself a bit of $$. Also, the twisty straps on mine drove me bonkers, but they may have fixed that on the new version.